How can i get burned ps2 discs working on my backwards compatible 60 gb ps3?

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Breaking Benjamin, Oct 9, 2019 at 9:52 PM.

1. 4
    Breaking Benjamin

Breaking Benjamin Forum Noob

how's it going guys. im new here, im really wanting to play burned ps2 games on my ps3. im able to play burned ps1 games just fine. im on ps3hen. how can i play burned ps2 games? is it possible at all? thanks in advanced.

2. 11,921
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I don't think you can without cobra unless you use swap magic 3.8, but I don't know if that still works. I bought a copy long before cobra back on 3.55, but I never had a chance to use it, 'cause the system ylod within minutes of first turning it on.

Breaking Benjamin likes this.
  3. 4
    Breaking Benjamin

thanks for the reply. ylod is horrible. maybe it's just best to use swap magic or something on a ps2 and use burned ps2 games on there. thanks man.

4. 340
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

And i want to know why you are using HEN on your BC PS3 when you can install CFW?

5. 4
    Breaking Benjamin

i did a couple of times but i reverted back to ofw, im always afraid of a brick, and hen seems more safe. i have another 60 gb CECHA01 ps3 but im still kind of afraid to stay with cfw over hen. what advantages does cfw have over hen. they seem very similar. im fairly new to modding.

6. 5,757
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Can't do it with HEN as lvl1 patches are needed. Swap Magic would work but you would have to have the lid off for swapping as pressing eject would cause it to reset. There was a way to put an user made eject switch to bypass this but caused the BD motor to burn out as it doesn't properly spin down.

The only way to bypass this was to load swap magic then wait about 5 minutes for the system to spin down then use the eject toggle. As for a brick I have been using CFW since day one on my launch system never got a brick. So long as the ROS patches are valid once you have CFW on there your good to go.

The system does a verification to ensure the PUP will not cause a brick. You can always verify the MD5 if your still weary as all Rebug firmware comes with it just verify the MD5 if it matches (which never had one that didn't) it will install fine.

The only bricks that ever occurred was Wanny's 3.55 CFW as he didn't account for NAND system while patching it. This was nearly 9 years ago. No CFW has caused this brick since. Joonie is meticulous when cooking the Rebug firmwares and test on many models to ensure this never happens.

So there are your options for PS2 disc backups for your system. You can't even use a HDD backup on your model with HEN. Effectively making your BC system have the exact same support as slim systems with backups. Luckily it will still play your official disc though.

7. 4
    Breaking Benjamin

Ahh, I see. Thanks very much for the reply. Very good answer man! I'll probably just end up getting a slim ps2 to boot burned ps2 games. And HEN is amazing. The developers have done an amazing job! I might still go ahead and re-jailbreak. I'm on 4.85.1 HFW. For now, what is the best way to play PS2 games on the ps3 without the burned discs? And what are the advantages of CFW over HEN? They seem extremely similar.