PS2 How can I use my PSOne controller in my PS2

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by misa, Jan 27, 2019.

1. 13
    misa

misa Forum Noob

I have a PS2 Slim with Matrix Infinty 0.99 modchip.

My old DualShock 2 controller is dead and I wanna use my PSOne controller on my PS2. Yeah I can use on Winning Eleven or FIFA games but other games can't see the controller.

Should I buy original DualShock 2 or buy alternative, made in China controllers?

2. 622
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

The original dual shock doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons, which dual shock 2 does have. Games using that functionality won't be compatible with 0s1 controllers

3. 13
    misa

misa Forum Noob

Mmm... Thanks. I need to buy DS2 then. :'P

4. 3,076
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Just to add to what's been said, if your going to but 3rd party controllers for the PS2, either giotek or madcatz did some good ones, even wireless ones, but you cannot beat the original DS2.

A MGS fan? by your avatar of Emma Emmerich from Sons of Liberty lol :rolleyes::D

5. 12
    irkyu

irkyu Forum Noob

Don't even bother with that Chinese crap, half the time the analogue sticks are bad on them (they push down more than they push up)...

6. 3,076
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    There not Chinese rip offs they were officially licenced by [email protected] to make these for the PS2. Gio tekk still makes stuff for the PS3 and 4 and is one of the best brands for accessories.

7. 12
    irkyu

irkyu Forum Noob

Sorry, should have been more clear - I was referring to wireless controllers, and was agreeing with the person who said about using official DS2

8. 6,439
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

If you have some experience soldering there is an alternative you can try

I have a clone DS3 (i know, not directly related but you will see why im talking about it)
    I dissasembled it completly, together with an official DS3 and i was comparing the sizes, meassures, geometries etc...
    And the plastic "body" of the clones dualshocks are pretty much exactly the same than the officials

I think what the clone manufacturers does is to make a "replica" of the mold used for plastic injection (or they gets a mold from the same proveder used by sony)
    So the results are identical to the official

*Not always, the clone DS3 i have have an small difference in the triggers... but when i was looking at it i imagined a way to "cut" the plastic a bit to make the plastic "body" compatible with the official circuit board

-------------------
    The story is....
    If your Dualshock only have the sticks damaged (something very usual), you can buy a clone, desolder the sticks, and solder them in the official board
    And if your dualshock have the plastic body damaged, you can buy a clone and keep only the plastic "body"`+ all the official electronics inside

The circuit board of the PS2 DS2 is very simple (and i guess robust too, is the kind of thing that is not going to malfunction unless you hit it with a hammer)

What uses to "break" are either the sticks or the plastic body... but dont have fear in messing around with them, are not expensive and is not risky
    If you have several duslshocks are a good guinea pig for practising your soldering skills :)

9. 6,439
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Bonus

If what you have damaged are the sticks (left stick mostly) and you have several dualshocks... there is a trick very useful i been doing years ago

You need to desolder the right stick from 2 dualshock controllers (the ones with the best "feeling" of your collection of dualshocks)
    And then you need to solder the 2 sticks to the best circuit board of your collection of dualshocks
    Then put all pieces inside the best plastic "body" of your collection of dualshocks

This way you have a dualshock that feels like new... for free ! :encouragement:
    After some months/years of use... repeat the procedure :P

-----------------
    The sticks of the PSone controller and the dualshock 2 controllers are fully compatible (same size, geometry, etc...)
    You can desolder the sticks from a PSone controller and solder them in a dualshock2 controller (or the other way around if you want)

The sticks of the DS3 are not compatibles with DS2 or PSone controllers (DS3 are bigger)

-----------------
    All this sticks can be bought in places like ebay, there are several models, so be sure you buy the ones you need
    Are not expensive, the officials from DS3 are made by ALPS (but you are not going to find them in the official ALPS catalog, are made exclusivelly for sony)
    The clones are not made by ALPS, but i honestly think it doesnt matters because the quality, reallibility and lifespan should be the same
    Doesnt have much mistery, are a part easy to manufacture

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  10. 591
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

If you have the DS4, then you can try to use it as a substitute for DS2 via OPL beta version which allows user to use DS3/DS4 as DS2 controller. It requires FMCB modded memcard to work.

11. 1,625
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

It only requires a way to launch homebrew (OPL), not necessary FMCB memory card.
    E.g. also Swap Magic & Modchip allows to do it (launch it).

Tupakaveli likes this.