How to deal with poorly optimized PS3 games?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by snkplkn, Jun 16, 2019.

1. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

So i came across a game called Red Dead Redemption which is showing significant FPS drops. I found out after reading many forums that this game is poorly optimized for PS3 and hence has FPS issues. The same game has much better experience on XBox 360.

FPS drops mainly occurs usually starting of chapters and in Towns. FPS is as bad as 15-20 FPS. FPS improves a little after sometime. But still not as smooth. I think its around 25 FPS. I have read various forums that this is a problem with this game and FPS can drop greatly in Rain.

So how do i deal with such games? Does putting them to 720p boost the performance? Any other suggestions?

2. 1,068
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

it's 720p game internally no matter what output resolution you set your ps3.same thing applies to pretty much all consoles.so you won't get any performance with smaller resolution.

other than cleaning and defragmenting the drive and changing it with faster one or sshd or ssd even,there's little you can do.sshd's and ssd won't get you much in raw fps,but streaming resources and frametimes will be much more consistent.

3. 211
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

RDR is just a poorly optimized game, honestly it's not much better on the 360. Best way to play that one is on the xbone unfortunately. It's still a fantastic game though, possibly my favorite from R*

If you're playing GOTY or intend on playing the digital version of Undead Nightmare, whatever you do don't sign into PSN and update the game. Latest patch causes game breaking glitches in UN and it was never fixed afaik.

snkplkn likes this.
  4. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

I don't think defragmenting will make any difference. But still, how to defragment PS3 internal hdd? I have no idea.

5. 1,068
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

rebuild database from recovery,that defrags the drive also.depending on the drive and fragmetation it could make significant improvements.

i had similar problems when my drive was filled to the brim.

6. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

I suspect that a game Puzzle fighter 2 is making Cell and RSX a little hotter. I can notice the fan speeds and Temps a little higher after quitting game to XMB. But that game is only 50 MB. While other games are behaving normally and temps/fan speeds are more on expected line.

I always believed that small games put no strain on Cell and RSX. Like Bomberman which puts no work on RSX and Cell. But why Puzzle fighter 2 which is small game behaving differently? Any reasons?