How to update multiman and webman-mod when a newer version comes out ?

Discussion in 'PS3 Homebrew' started by l3gi0n, Jun 2, 2020.

1. 14
    l3gi0n

l3gi0n Forum Noob

How do i update multiman and webman-mod ?

should i just install the new versions when they come out ? or should I uninstall the already installed ones first and then install the new versions ? if so, how to uninstall ?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. 3,604
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

Both multiMAN and webMAN MOD have an update option in the menu.

You don't need to uninstall anything.

In the case of webMAN MOD, you need to reboot manually after install the update PKG.

If you use the full installer, after install the PKG, run the updater from XMB and wait until the console restart.

3. 14
    l3gi0n

l3gi0n Forum Noob

the webman-mod at https://store.brewology.com/ is the full installer ?

Are there any guides on how to update webman-mod that you can point me to ?

I already figured how to update multiman...

4. 7
    daking1512

daking1512 Forum Noob

if you want to update an application, if it has an internal update function (like movian, multiman, etc) you can use that, but a better way is to download the pkg and install it on top of the older version then reboot (if the application requires a post install reboot like webman)

5. 3,604
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

Yes, the pkg in brewology is the full installer. I suggest http://github.com/aldostools/webman-mod/releases

For update from XMB, go to webMAN Games > webMAN Setup > Update webMAN MOD
    (reboot manually after the installation)

6. 14
    l3gi0n

l3gi0n Forum Noob

So just to confirm...The quote above is ALL i have to do to update webman-mod full installer ?

7. 7
    daking1512

daking1512 Forum Noob

for webman-mod, install the full installer pkg, reboot, then run it (pressing either X for simple functionality, or X while holding L1 for full functionality)

8. 1,309
    Coro

Coro Moderator

just L1 by itself for full version.

9. 13,245
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I think he might mean to load the updater, press X. I thought the same as you though when I first read the post.

Coro likes this.
  10. 7,798
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Most of the homebrew programs can be updated by installing the new version on top of the older ones, but is not a rule and there is something to consider about this
    Personally the way i see it is:
    1) Finding bugs and betatesting a single version of a program is a thing (and that thing could take lot of time)
    2) But finding incompatibilities with previous versions of the program is a different thing (and i guess not much devs does it)
    3) And finding incompatibilities with other programs is another different thing (and i guess not much devs does it)

The problem in case (2) is most hombrews apps uses a settings file, or files that are generated by the program. If for some reason the format of that files changes (because the developer implemented new features or decided to do some changes in how that files works) it could happen that the program boots with some problem, or even that refuses to boot
    This is not usual to happen, because the devs takes care to dont step into incompatibilities, also because they knows when that files could cause some problem
    But you know... this is a homebrew scene, the bugs happens, and as mentioning before this small incompatibilities could be hard track, mostly because the time the devs have for debuging and betatesting is limited, and the priority is to do it with the latest version of the program only (and forget about the previous versions that have less features)

The problem (3) is way harder to track it, the compatibility in between programs is only tested if the other programs is a "must have", but this is something subjetive and a personal oppinion

Personally i prefer to uninstall the previous version of the program before installing the new, but is just a preventive meassure "just in case", also because i consider this kind of incompatibilities cant be considered a mistake of the developer, is just something that could happen eventually and we should get used to it

Also, if at some point your program have some weird (black magic) behaviour, the first thing you need to do is to unsintall it (to clean up the files in the installation path/s) and install it again