How to use "Debug Update" - (Tutorial by Pinky)

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by STLcardsWS, Oct 8, 2014.

1. 9,389
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

How To Use Update Debug

A Tutorial by Pinky

"Here's my brief tutorial on using update debug (part of the qa flagging debug settings). In my opinion, this is the best method to upgrade/downgrade fw, because u can store up to 20 update pups on your hard drive for safe-keeping or to eliminate the hassle of requiring a specific file name (i.e. ps3updat.pup)."
    -Pinky

STEPSUpdate Debug
    We need to Install REBUG Toolbox in order to set the QA Flag Token (debug menu type = qa).
    Now, go over to the System Settings tier of xmb, Scroll down to Debug Settings, and enable Update debug.
    Enter multiMAN and open the mmOS-File Manager within multiMAN.
    On the root of your hard drive (dev_hdd0), create a folder named "updater"
    Within the updater folder, create folders 01.
    Within each of those folders, drop a ps3updat.pup file. However, instead of using the ps3updat.pup name, u can name the update file to anything (i.e. REBUG REX 4.46.1), and the .pup extension isn't required.
    In order to upgrade/downgrade, go over to system update within xmb, and update via system storage. You will be presented with a list of all update files that are on your hard drive along with whatever names u had previously selected for them.
    Disclaimer:I am not responsible for any damage you may cause to your ps3. Just follow the instructions, and you’ll be fine

2. 5
    Shaitan

Shaitan

[MENTION=2]STLcardsWS[/MENTION] the step for "create folders 01, 02, 03" is redundant now, you can just put all the update files in the 01 folder.

3. 9,389
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

fixed, Thanks

4. 5,910
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

OK that's awesome!!! Never knew this, when did this become and option? And are we limited to 20 PUP files still?

5. 5
    Shaitan

Shaitan

Someone(I can't for the life of me remember who it was) over at psxscene mentioned it in a conversion a few months back. I was going to update the tut but I forgot about it, and now I can't edit it anyway. Unfortunately the 20 PUP limitation is still there though.

6. 432
    Zwei

Zwei Member

awesome...

7. 12,859
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

thank u. I didn't realize the above about only one folder, so I might need to make that change. it does make switching firmware very fast. I was friends with Shaitan, but not much anymore after some things happened. it's time to go towards the vita with a master list of tutorials based on [MENTION=7]atreyu187[/MENTION] 's work.

edit: we, atreyu187 and myself will create a master list once all tutorials r done. he's far more an expert about the vita than I am, but I'll compile everything once he's ready.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  8. 5,910
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    I just have been lucky with the Vita. BTW loving the new Floyd avatar!!

9. 388
    psydefx

psydefx Member

so this is just for rebug cfw?

10. 800
    No0bZiLLa

No0bZiLLa Moderator Developer

no 10 chars

11. 30
    williams1978

williams1978 Forum Noob

Hello, I have a question that has to do with the debug update. So I followed the tutorial and have actually done this before and had it working, my problem now is the option to update from system storage is not there anymore just from storage media and via internet. When I select update from storage media it just scans and doesn't find any firmware. I'm on Rebug 4.81.2 Rex. Anyway anyone know how to fix this?

12. 7,853
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

What kind of storage media are you using when you try the standard system update feature on xmb?
    You should use a fat32 USB key without specially crafted partition by the manufacturer. Don't use a fancy usb storage device or an external hdd...
    And make sure the path to the pup file is all in caps letter. (X:\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP).
    If it still does not work, try another USB key...

As to debug update, and I assume here that you followed all the right setup steps, have you checked that QA is properly enabled? You could try disabling QA then reenabling it within the Toolbox.

13. 30
    williams1978

williams1978 Forum Noob

I should have made my post a little clearer, update from usb works fine, I'm just saying that now that I have all my firmware on the hard drive (dev_hdd0/updater) there is no option to update from the systems storage (internal drive) just options for updating from the internet and from storage media of some sort. So when I choose update from storage media, because I don't want to update from the internet lol, it scans and does not find the firmware that is on the internal drive. I don't have the usb stick plugged in as I'm trying to do the debug update to go back to 3.55 to try and fix some bluray problems.

14. 12,859
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

u need to enable update debug in debug settings. it's a part of qa flagging (cex) debug options. make sure that's enabled in rebug toolbox.

15. 7,853
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

If you use the storage media option it will scan your USB ports so of course it will not find the pup on /dev_hdd0.
    To get the install from internal hdd option, all you require is QA enabled, the corresponding Debug option enabled & the pup files in numbered folders like so:
    /dev_hdd0/updater/01/whatevername.pup.

16. 12,859
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

also, u can have all update pups (max is 20) in one folder as well. iirc, update debug was introduced in firmware 3.50. at that time, the max was only 10 pups. it was augmented to 20 at some point, but I forgot the firmware version when that happened.

williams1978 likes this.
  17. 30
    williams1978

williams1978 Forum Noob

Ok I don't know how to make this any clearer but I have done all this, debug update is enabled, qa flag is set in rebug toolbox, cex qa xmb is selected. Firmware is at dev_hdd0/updater/01, I had them all in separate numbered folders at first but the first couple post say you don't need to do it this way anymore that you can put them all in the 01 folder. I know that selecting update storage media just scans the usb connections but since update from system storage IS NOT THERE, I figured I would try it at least. My questions were why is Update from system storage not there, has anyone ran into this problem before, and any clue on how to fix it?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  18. 12,859
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

yeah, I believe separate folders isn't needed. I have mine separated though since I didn't know that when I started using update debug. update debug isn't specifically for rebug either. as long as u can set the qa token, u should be able to use update debug. I was using it on kmeaw I believe before switching to rebug way back when. anyway, I'm not sure what ur issue could be. it's pretty straight-forward, so if u've done everything correctly, it should allow installing an update via system storage.

williams1978 likes this.
  19. 8,288
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Did you try bguervilles suggestion of disabling QA flag and then re enabling it (in Rebug toolbox), reboot in between changes to be sure.

williams1978 likes this.
  20. 137
    catalinnc

catalinnc Member

also try to fix permissions for the "updater" folder...
    _

williams1978 likes this.