Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

PS3HEN If a game isn't on the PSDEV PS2 list of games, is it guaranteed to not work?

Discussion in 'Ps3Xploit [Official Forum]' started by dudebroishere, May 22, 2019.

1. 63
    dudebroishere

dudebroishere Forum Noob

Just asking before i put a game on there only to find out it doesn't work, XIII, nowhere to be found on the list, does this mean it hasn't been checked or it just doesn't work?

2. 1,053
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Unless you test it yourself, if its not on the list, you will always be in doubt if its going to work or not! But about XIII i think its compatible with the PS2Net_Emu.

XIII works with the CECHA/B Models and CECHC/E Models as well, i am sure XIII works as well on a NON-BC Console.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    dudebroishere likes this.
  3. 5,114
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    Yeah a lot simply haven't been tested as the PS2 has such a huge library of games. But even if it doesn't work one can try making a CONFIG file. I was just able to play (still playing) Castlevania Curse of Darkness which till CONFIG files came around was incompatible.

Kier_1234657 likes this.
  4. 173
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

How would one go about doing that? Edit a config that's already been created and mess with the settings until the game you want is playable? I'd love to get Scarface The World is Yours and NFS U2 to work lol. I can't even get the PC version of Scarface running right, pcsx2 is not an option for me. Think the game is cursed.

5. 1,053
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Scarface you might be in luck to try running it, but NEED FOR SPEED UNDERGROUND 2 its out of the question, no CONFIG file will fix that game.

NEED FOR SPEED UNDERGROUND 2 relies heavily on the Graphics Synthesizer, i don't recall the cause of that dependability, but i think @sandungas mentioned something about the DATA STREAMS within the UNDERGROUND 2 ENGINE, and which the Emulated GS simply can't handle that amount of DATA STREAMS,so no CONFIG file will ever fix that game.

For this, you have 3 options, either play it on the PC or PlayStation2, or if you own a 360, this game its Backwards Compatible on they're XBOX Originals Program.

UNDERGROUND 2 also its backwards compatible with the PlayStation3 CECHA/B/C and E Models.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Algol and Major_Pothead92 like this.
  6. 173
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Scarface runs, but it's incredibly laggy, just like NFS U2. Was hoping there was a way to edit a config file or if someone knew how to do that if they could give some pointers. Don't have my ps2 anymore unfortunately traded it away for a laptop long ago. I went through so many ps2's back in the day it was ridiculous. At one point had a badass modded one in the clear blue case that had a part above the disc drive that would pop open for disc swapping. Laser failed. Every laser failed until I had one of the slims that ultimately got traded. The laser on that one probably failed by now too lmao.

7. 10,455
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I put a clear, blue ghost shell on my first 360. you could see the disc spinning through the shell. it was a pos xenon though, which I patched after it failed.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  8. 4,472
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

It was not me who make some comments about NFSU2, i dont know much about that game
    And in general... i would not say that there are some games imposible to play on netemu... the fact is imposible to play them actually, but there are a lot of unknown commands availables to be used in PS2 CONFIG files... so who knows... maybe that unknowns are hiduing some easter eggs that could fix some games :)

@Major_Pothead92 there is a lot to talk about PS2 configs, but one of the most important concept is inside the configs there are commands, you can use as many you want inside a config
    There is a group of commands that only allows a "boolean" value (either an 1 or a 0), works as a switch that is ON or OFF. This ones are easy to enable/disable to try luck. Some of them are still unknown (so you are not sure what you are enabling) but are not harmfull, the worst thing that could happen is the PS3 firmware freezing or crashing (in other words, the same thing that happens if you try to boot an incompatible game)
    ManaGunZ have a "PS2 config editor" where you can enable/disable this boolean commands. That config editor is also available as a PC app (to create the config in PC)
    Imo, playing this "lottery game" with the config editor of managunz is a lot more convenient and faster because you can do everything in the PS3

There are other group of commands that requires an integer value (things like 1500, 234, 79, etc... whatever), this commands cant be created with the configs editors (only way is by building the config file in a hex editor, not much hard but requires some practising). Also, as before some are unknown, so we dont even know which range of values are valid

And there is other group of commands that are intended to patch either the ISO, an executable .elf from the game, a memory area, etc...
    In this ones is needed to tell the position (offset) where is needed to apply the patch, also the value that is going to be patched
    As you can imagine... playing lottery with this ones (using random values) is completly pointless because your chances of success are near zero
    Are the kind of commands where you need to know very well what you want to patch even before starting building the config

In this table in wiki you can see an overview of all the commands, which ones are known and which ones are unknown
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Talk:PS2_Emulation#PS2_Emulators_Config_Commands

Major_Pothead92 and Algol like this.
  9. 992
    umart666

umart666 Member

Scarface isn't running well even on semiBC systems,if i remember correctly even some revisions of the PS2 have trouble with that game.

10. 4,472
    sandungas

Not sure if you are aware of what im going to say, anyway im going to talk about it in general, if at some point you are curious and wants to take a look at the config files of other games for semiBC PS3 models you can take a look at this list:
    https://github.com/Zarh/Get_CONFIG/blob/master/log.txt

Are all the configs embedded inside ps2_gxemu.self converted to an "human readable" format
    For every config you can see there are some lines where it tells (im using the first game "24 - The Game" as example):
    [GX] Command ID : 0x10
    [Net] Command ID : 0x12

That means the command 0x10 from gxemu is exactly the same than command 0x12 in netemu
    In other words... the command data that was extracted from ps2_gxemu.self by get_config program can be converted to netemu format

This process is made by managunz "on the fly" when you select one of the GXEMU configs when booting a PS2 game on a nonBC PS3 model (using netemu)

If you boot the game with managunz in a semiBC PS3 model then managunz doesnt makes anything with the configs, because as mentioned before are "embedded" inside ps2_gxemu.self
    Kozarovv made an experimental test by replacing the info of one of the configs "embedded" inside ps2_gxemu.self by other config from other game, and the experiment was successful
    So technically is posible to "update" the configs inside ps2_gxemu.self but is a pita, also the way how the config data is "spreaded" inside the .self requires to overrite another config for another game, and that config needs to be exactly of the same lenghts
    Kozarovv mentioned an alternative way to bypass this limitation, is about creating new areas inside the .self that are originally empty and change some offsets to point to them (this way you have an empty area where you can add new configs), but thats even harder and as far i know is not tested
    Also, all this kind of things are much better made "by sofware"... i mean, is needed an app to automatize all this changes because doing it by hand (in a hexeditor) have lot of room for "human errors" and is going to be loooot of work

----------
    Anyway, back to scarface game on semiBC PS3 models... by looking at the log.txt in the link i posted it seems ps2_gxemu.self doesnt have a config for it, so we dont have any hint about that game
    And is hard to know if the game could be fixable, or is just because they didnt noticed it
    There are other configs where it can be seen sony "failed" at fixing the game... but kozarovv and other people fixed it unnofficially

11. 1,053
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    By the way what about Ratchet and Clank in the GX, and Gran Turimso 4 on the NET, i am curious about those two

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

12. 173
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

It used to work on my slim ps2. Had one of the silver ones, But, I think I remember the load times were pretty rough and it did freeze sometimes. Could have been because the laser but that system was brand spankin new at the time lol.

I'll try playing around with the PC app and see what happens. Just have multiman installed for now.

13. 5,114
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    Here is the files already encrypted if you need or wanna try. It's all 172 of the existing files ready for use

PS3HEN Encrypted PS2 CONFIG Files
    @sandungas

14. 4,472
    sandungas

You are not telling me how good/bad "Ratchet & Clank" works on the GX emu, but im going to comment what i see in the config just as another example to help you getting used to how this works :)

In the config data extracted from ps2_gxmeu.self by get_config app there is a config for it
    https://github.com/Zarh/Get_CONFIG/blob/master/log.txt
    Code:
    Title : Ratchet & Clank
    Game ID : SCUS_971.99
    Hash : 0x36819DD095
    Hash Offset : 33E948
    Commands offset : 345C98
    Commands count : 0x3
    	[GX] Command ID : 0x02
    	[Net] Command ID : 0x03
    		Nothing to do
    	[GX] Command ID : 0x10
    	[Net] Command ID : 0x12
    		Data Offset : 00323040
    		Data Number : 00000012
    			Param 1 : 04000000
    			Param 2 : 00000000
    			Param 3 : 000A0002
    			Param 4 : 00000000
    			Param 5 : 3D8AEEA8
    			Param 6 : 00000220
    			Param 7 : 0000023B
    			Param 8 : 00000260
    			Param 9 : 00000285
    			Param 10 : 000002AE
    			Param 11 : 000002D7
    			Param 12 : 000002F2
    			Param 13 : 0000030D
    			Param 14 : 00040004
    			Param 15 : 48C00800
    			Param 16 : 00000001
    			Param 17 : 48C01000
    			Param 18 : 00000001
    	[GX] Command ID : 0x06
    	[Net] Command ID : 0x07
    			Param : 00000002

It uses 3 commands, as mentioned before you can see the IDs of that commands in 2 consecutive lines, this is because is the same command (but this command have a different ID for every emulator type)

------------------------------
    The first command 0x02 (gx), 0x03 (net) is a switch... because doesnt stores any data, the switch happens just because the command exists in the config, but lets say.. is "empty"
    By looking at this table you can see what does that switch: https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Talk:PS2_Emulation#PS2_Emulators_Config_Commands
    The row of the table that tells 0x02 (gx), 0x03 (net)... is named "Switch something"... this means we dont know what is switching, so is unknown :/

Also, we dont know the default state of the switch... we only know by using it we are "flipping" the switch, there are 2 posible cases:
    -If the default state is enabled, by using the switch we are disabling it
    -But if the default state is disabled, by using he switch we are enabling it

The second command 0x10 (gx), 0x12 (net) is another unknown, and we can deduce is one of the tricky commands (probably something important) because it contains a list of 18 values
    In the table in wiki we have been given it a green color because is one of the most important easter eggs

The third command 0x06 (gx), 0x07 (net) again... is another unkown, but this one belongs to the group where you need to set a integer value, and that values should be inside a defined range, or are identifyers of some "modes" (think in them as some kind of emulator settings)
    The value used in the config for ratchet & clank is 2
    We dont know what does that 2... but i was lurking at all the commands of all official configs to create that table in wiki... in the column most at right of the table you can see that there are other configs for other games where this value is either: 2, 4, or 8

So... for frankenxperiments you could replace the 2 by a 4 or a 8.... because we are 100% sure all them are valid values (4 and 8 was found in other official configs, so should work)

Also... by looking at all the valid values it seems that are exponents of 2... so most probably 1 and 16 (and maybe 32 too) could work
    And i guess the default value (when the command is not used in the config) is 1

In short, this values could work with it:
    1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, (and 64, 128, etc... ?)

15. 7,374
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Default is 1, command set 0

sandungas likes this.
  16. 4,472
    sandungas

I guess you mean in IDA, but not sure if thats a proof that the command is a "disabler"
    If you are confident please change the name of it in wiki, remember we gave a default name to all unknown switches like this:
    Code:
    <abbr title="After the purpose of this command is identifyed, this word should be replaced either by DISABLE or ENABLE">Switch</abbr> something
    Is displayed as "Switch something"... but by now could be renamed as "Disable something" and remove the <abbr>

17. 1,053
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    I see well it runs,but with Slowdowns every now and then,but its slow, same with Ratchet & Clank 2/3 and Gladiator, that use the Kinetica Engine, forgot to add that.

Have a look at this video :)

18. 7,374
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Actually yes, i looked in ida, and for sure it is disable something. This is also in picard notes, and on emulation page (not talk).

sandungas likes this.
  19. 4,472
    sandungas

Hmm, maybe thats he reason why is using command 0x02 (gx) to "disable something"
    In other words... maybe what they was trying by "disabling that something" was to improve performance... but is not enought

What im going to say is just speculation, but i think there could be several commands used to disable features, reduce maths accuracy and things like that... is the kind of functions they could implement as "the last resort" to allow some games to work by reducing quality as a payback

-----------------
    Also, something interesting to mention is the code functions related with the commands was implemented in order of importance (most important and critical goes first and have lower IDs)
    In other words... the commands with lower IDs was something implemented in the first years of the PS3 lifetime
    So i guess the command 0x02 (gx) that seems to disable something... is important or very generic

There are another switches with low IDs 0x04 and 0x05 (gx), we dont know if are "disablers" or "enablers"... but incase are disablers you could try to use them to see if they improves performance
    Dunno... like in PC games... if are laggy you need to disable features or reduce quality setings