PS2 I'm being driven insane... (OPL with HDD)

Discussion in 'Open PS2 Loader (OPL)' started by Deli295, Sep 13, 2019.

1. 10
    Deli295

Deli295 Member

Hi, so I just got my 3rd party adapter for my PS2 (SCPH-5006), I also got component cables and plugged and set up a 500gb drive with my backups. But there's a very annoying problem with most games: they don't play correctly, and every few frames (whenever it wants really) the game decides to stutter. I thought this could only happen when playing from USB and in cutscenes, but in my case it happens during gameplay too, making gaming pretty much unplayable. Hope anyone can help, thanks from now. Down is an example of what happens.
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqSnccIXNlB4kh9VaH7rCaaschsn?e=JjKPdq

2. 11,936
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

might be the fact that it's 1.1 usb. I really don't know. I have a hard mod in my ps2, and I've never tried a soft mod.

3. 1,377
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Did you alternatively tried to enable mode 1 or change dma mode (e.g. MDMA 0)
    in game settings?

TnA likes this.
  4. 628
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

You got the original ost it's a mod??.
    Never happened to me that kind of stutter, are you forcing the game at 50hz??

TnA likes this.
  5. 10
    Deli295

Deli295 Member

Yes I modded that iso, but this also happens with other games as well. For example, MGS2 Substance freezes completly at the beginning of the intro cutscene.

6. 628
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Try this:

You have to make sure to power on the HDD with U/Wle.
    If you use FHDB it could be not that simple… If you're using FMCB, just press the U/wle hotkey (R1 default) when powering on the Ps2, make sure the HDD is off. Now enter the filebrowser and access hdd0. Wait until the modules are loaded, then exit, go to OPL and try MGS2 or other games that show that problem.

TnA likes this.
  7. 692
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    If you are using an ancient version of OPL, do upgrade to at least v0.9.3. This is because older versions had a really small SIF DMA buffer, lacked proper streaming capabilities and do not have a mode for emulating some traits of the CD/DVD drive (Accurate Reads/Mode 1).

If you have such issues with v0.9.3 and later, try enabling Accurate Reads before even trying to change the ATA transfer mode. The transfer modes were not meant for compatibility with games, but was used as such for a really long time. Even after Accurate Reads was implemented, this setting was kept because there were still a handful of games that still needed some characteristic from using a slower transfer mode, to even work.

Unlike using a slower transfer mode, enabling Accurate Reads will slow down reading to approximately 3000KB/s, simulate a delay between the end of any operation and the interrupt callback, and limit reading to blocks of 8 sectors. The last one solves the thread starvation problem that some games encounter when run from fast media, such as a HDD.

Finally, since you are using a compatible network adaptor, the quality of the implementation really depends on the manufacturer. Since we cannot tell whether corners were cut during its design, it could be a reason if nobody else has the same problems as you do.

TnA likes this.
  8. 577
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

Seems like you're using 3rd party adapter. Make sure that you're not using any kind of WD branded hard drives which this kind of HDD often gives much problem when using with 3rd party adapter.

9. 628
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I (and some other people) already experienced a similar problem with GT4 previews and MGS 2 intro (not a complete freeze but a heavy stuttering) using both GameStar and original NAs.

The thing I suggested above always solved (for me and the others). Maybe this can be a different one, but since it's a very simple operation I think it's worth trying. Shouldn't be need to lower the DMA on DBZ Sparking Meteor.

Algol and TnA like this.
  10. 1,009
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Well, first off there is no PS2 with a 4-digit-SCPH-Number...

Regarding the video: I tried watching the video, but whenever I open it in Chrome on Android 9, the video is in Grey-scale and seems to be corrupted!

Regarding using either Modchips or Softmods in combination with software/Homebrew and specifically game-loaders...:
    Softmods are recommended, because some modchips do cause issues with either some Homebrew-Apps and specifically game-loaders and can cause inferior game-compatibility or that games don't start at all via game-loaders...

It's not that much noticeable on newer Versions, because they (the loaders) try to fix some faults and remove remnants from RAM, which some chips left/leave there...

You patched your ISOs? For what? OPL is meant to be used with clean dumps from original discs!

Regarding GT4 and MGS2... These are entirely unrelated... GT4's Micro-Stutters in the videos ARE present on the original disc as well!!!
    I don't quite remember, which MGS2 had the issue... Was it 'Subsistence'? Anyway... That's an incompatibility, whereas GT4's Micro-Stutters are present on the original disc and played from the original disc on a NoMod-PS2 (neither soft- nor hardmodded).

Here a short list of things to try and remember:
    • Try the latest test-build or beta-build and try to keep your software up-to-date (not only OPL but also FMCB/FHDB, if you are using it)
    • Do NOT patch the ISOs!
    • If you want to change the Video-mode, rather change it via OPL's integrated GSM! Keep in mind that 50Hz <---> 60Hz conversion can cause the same kind of issues (along others)!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Algol likes this.
  11. 628
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

The GT4 previews stutter from the og disc you're right. But it can statter much more (it freezes for half second at every stutter). MGS2 (every version) may have a similar issue at the intro FMV (it heavily stutters on a couple points). I experienced (and solved) this issue a lot of times with different combinations of iHDD, NAs and OPL versions.
    I know these 2 situations only (for coincidence when testing), but maybe this issue could happen with other games too.

And there's no worry about modding the games, as soon as they run from DVD they'll work with OPL too (unless they're uncompatible games).
    I too have a heavilly modded version of DBZ Sparking meteor (with italian tests and even dubbing sampled from the original carton), it always worked like a charm with every configuration.

I've a modded version of Berserk too and know many people that use modded games (GTA SA and FIFA/PES above all).

Algol likes this.
  12. 1,009
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Oooouuuffff... That's hard! I never had that issue on SMB, nor HDD... I am not sure of SSD or USB.
    But that's reeeeaaaaalllly strange/hard...

Hm... I thought it only happened on one of those MGS2-"Parts" it happened. Not the first release IMO!

Indeed!
    The setup seems to matter a lot!
    It also seems to affect some older OPL-versions less, than newer versions (~rev.700-800 is where the change occurred and I think it might be related to the performance being better due to the streaming-mechanism... At least it could trigger it or be related, IMO.)!

• Yes, I think it might apply to other games as well!
    • OPL is still meant to be used with clean dumps... Btw.: OPL even loads ISOs, which wouldn't work from discs (i.e. 'flattened', etc.)
    • I simply mentioned it, because OPL and some things surrounding it, are meant to be done with original ISOs! GSM within OPL is a better choice than patching an ISO, especially due to this fact, but also due to GSM being more flexible and better than those 'static' patches!
    • I still think there is a kind of timing-issue, which can be triggered by different setups being faster and slower... I assume that this is probably also related to different setups needing varying DMA-modes to work better.
    I know that 'bad' ISOs might work with OPL as well, but it doesn't change the fact that OPL is simply made to work with proper dumps of original discs!
    Well, there is an argument about CDs... Those being dumped to 'iso' as Mode1-Level1 instead of Mode2(XA?)-Level1 is arguable, but it doesn't really matter in most/any cases, does it?

Well... (Arrow up)
    OPL is made to work with proper dumps of original discs.

...and... If he patched the ISOs it could be the cause of his issues, ESPECIALLY if it is a VMode-Fix!

Algol likes this.
  13. 628
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I don't know what cause this problem but I never solved it with "conventional" solutions, just the one I wrote above (and a couple other variations). Just done that to always solve the GT4/MGS2 stutter issue with any configuration I tested for me and friends (and some users on Ps2-Home too). No need to lower DMA or enable MODEs. So sure it's a tough one (to understand, but really simple to solve once you know how to).
    About MGS2 I have the Subsistence version on iHDD, but I seem to remember some users I helped were using the Sons of Liberty version.

You managed to see the video linked on the first post?? The issue is very similar to the GT4/MGS2 one.

I think he's using just a translated ISO.
    I'm not saying to exclude the possibility you've pointed out, it's just that I never heard of a modded game having problems with OPL (as long as the patch is compatible with the Ps2 and the og game with OPL), so I'm thinking about other possible causes too.

To narrow the field he could burn the game on a DVD. If it's a bad mod causing problems the stutter should happen from DVD too. But I'm 90% sure the problem isn't the mod.
    Well actually it'd be even more simple to try that ISO from a different device (USB/ETH). I guess this problem won't happen.

Algol likes this.
  14. 122
    remlei

remlei Member

try using a old drive? I also got this issue back then when i still have my fat ps2 working, basically my sata network adapter with 500gb laptop drive that came with ps4 works but it stutters in game, after I get a old 160gb seagate desktop drive and slap it in there, the issue is gone.

I guess its just that the adapter doesnt get along with newer drives (AF/4k sector drives).

15. 628
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

In my experience too the issue happens more frequently with certain hdd. I'm still not sure if it's related to the speed or the size (I incline more to the second).
    Btw it's always solvable. The HDDs I use most are new 2,5" 1/2tb SATA ones.

16. 10
    Deli295

Deli295 Member

My drive is a laptop Samsung one from 2012, I wouldn't consider it new at all.

17. 628
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I meant new models/sata ones, since there's the common belief "the older the better".

18. 1,009
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Well... as long as OPL can't cope with 'too fast transfers' and neither Mode1 does help, that's a viable choice aside from trying another DMA-mode.

19. 628
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Well, my 2tb HDD is a very fast SATA III one and if I remember correctly you're even using a SSD right? So when it comes the "too fast transfer rate" ??
    The speed is simply limited by the Ps2 interface, probably even a 3D Xpoint HDD would work fine with OPL :D

20. 1,009
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Correct... I tried an SSD (SATA III & 3D NAND from SanDisk) and I have to use either Mode1 or a DMA-mode on these as well (for games which usually should not need them).

So essentially OPL COULD possibly work with (almost) all HDDs, but due to this thread-priority or syncing-issue it simply doesn't work properly without these 'modes'/settings, which IT ACTUALLY SHOULD (for those games which work in other DMA-modes without stuttering or whatever and which don't need Mode1 in the first place)!

HDLoader never had that issue, but that's probably also due to it not being as performant as OPL...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Peppe90 and Algol like this.