PS3 IMAGE.DAT in NPIA00001

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by uyjulian, Jan 20, 2020.

1. 223
    uyjulian

uyjulian Developer

Has anyone RE'd the format of IMAGE.DAT in NPIA00001?

2. 6,957
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I was taking a look at it time ago, but didnt published much about it, mostly because my notes was very dirty and at some point i realized that is like a PS2 hdd with a .kelf on top and APA partitions
    I wrote some related info about it here, is just is not explained the internal structure of IMAGE.DAT files
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Emulation#Virtual_PS2_HDD

Algol likes this.
  3. 223
    uyjulian

uyjulian Developer

I realize it is like a PS2 HDD, but it appears that IMAGE.DAT has a header and is either obfuscated or compressed, so I was wondering if anyone looked at the file format.

Particularly, I'd like to extract ATOK without relying on utility disks.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  4. 6,957
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

At this point im not sure if we are talking about the same thing, the NPIA00001 package contains an IMAGE.DAT
    If you have a PS2 backward compatible PS3 model + that PKG installed + you insert a real PS2 disc in the drive (from the few ones that allows to be installed in the hdd of a real PS2)... then at the time you boot the game the PS3 firmware displays some messages in screen that allows you to perform a hdd installation

I never took a look at the IMAGE.DAT inside NPIA00001 (the program responsible of that special installations), but there was some people looking at it, it was never fully reversed as far i know... but i remember it contains a list of the games/title_id's

That installation is pretty much the same that happens if you try to boot the game in a real PS2 with hdd, is just in the PS3 that installation is made in a IMAGE.DAT file
    And (if i remember right) the installation is stored inside dev_hdd0/game/WHATEVER/IMAGE.DAT

What i was trying to reverse was the other IMAGE.DAT file, generated by the installer (that contains game files that was copyed from the real PS2 disc)
    A friend of mine shared with me a sample of that installation, made with one of the SOCOM games... dont remember which size it had but something like 2gb or so
    I made a frankenstein IMAGE.DAT empty with only a single APA partition of the smaller size posible (dont remember if it was only 64mb or 128mb or so)... but i never made any test with it because i was having a serious problem
    The problem is it seems to have a file (located either in the header or in the first APA partition, i dont remember well) that seems to be encrypted
    I always guessed it was a PS2 kelf but im not sure

Also, the other thing that made me abandon this research is the fact i dont know the PS2 hdd format very well (but i knew it was documented before)... so i had the feeling i was trying to reinvent the whell

Berion likes this.
  5. 223
    uyjulian

uyjulian Developer

Ah, I see. I was talking about the IMAGE.DAT file inside NPIA00001.