PS VITA / PS TV Improved Emulation on the way? New Dynarec Implemented to HENkaku

Discussion in 'PS Vita News' started by STLcardsWS, Aug 3, 2016.

By STLcardsWS on Aug 3, 2016 at 8:58 PM
  1. 9,312
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

While we have seen the domain of the HENkaku exploit change from HENkaku.xyz to now HENkaku.me, there was also some other news from Team molecule about the HENkaku as Team member Yifanlu, says in celebration of 30,000 unique installs the developers have pushed an update to implement dynarec support, which as you seen the POC DeSumeME (Nintendo DS) emulator released running in Interpreter mode, will now be able to potentialy support the new implemented dynarec, so that puzzle piece is place for HENkaku. However, there is still much work to be done for developer to support the dynarec for each given emulator, as does not magically work.. If you recall the PS3 (CFW) has a dynarec support implemented as well ,but never really was utilized because of the architectural of the PS3 Hardware, but the good news for the Vita / PSTV user's the hardware it much more friendlier for porting emulators, rather then having to do completely new re-writes to support the dynarec. While I am no developer, it should make things easier but

Henkaku_Dynarec.jpg

Keep in mind that the HENkaku exploit is still new, and its limitations have not completely been explored. So this is not an end all solution for better emulation, but a huge step in the right direction and with hardware that should allow us to do a bit more then the PS3 in regards to using the dynarec, this could proved by an exciting time coming up for Retro Gamers. Time will tell, but this in my opinion is a game changer if more sophisticated emulators are capable of running on the VITA or PSTV,

If this does turn out to be the case, I will share one of desired features (A request to all developers), I personally would like to see a Proper Remote Play feature, be it reversing the official one and making much needed improvements to it or simplying (well not so simple) creating a brand new homebrew solution. Looking at the crystal ball (hoping one day some of the following is true), We get a N64 emulator (HENkaku) and we have this micro console (pstv) or handheld (vita) .. Why not have the ability on our CFW enabled PS3 to then Remote Play (stream) a N64 Game from the PSTV/VITA to PS3. Cross-Platform Proper Remote Play (2 way stream from either device). Would be fun to see the end-result if some an idea ever materializes

Anyhow, back to the real news, checkout some of the comments and information detailed and there is "Something Nice" under the hood, so the team leaves a bit of a tease for developer's to uncover. So I am sure there is something fun inside that other devs will soon discover and share. We could speculate, but it would only be that speculation. Care to speculate in the comments below?

• Code:
      #include <psp2/kernel/sysmem.h>

int dynarec_test(void)
      {
        int block;
        int ret;
        void *base;
        int (*func)(void);

// allocate block in VM domain
        block = sceKernelAllocMemBlockForVM("code", 0x100000);
        if (block < 0)
        {
          return block;
        }

// get base address
        ret = sceKernelGetMemBlockBase(block, &base);
        if (ret < 0)
        {
          return ret;
        }

// set domain to be writable by user
        ret = sceKernelOpenVMDomain();
        if (ret < 0)
        {
          return ret;
        }

// write thumb code: MOVS R0, #5, BX LR
        *(uint32_t *)base = 0x47702005;

// set domain back to read-only
        ret = sceKernelCloseVMDomain();
        if (ret < 0)
        {
          return ret;
        }

// flush icache
        ret = sceKernelSyncVMDomain(block, base, 0x1000);
        if (ret < 0)
        {
          return ret;
        }

// call function
        func = (char*)base + 1;
        ret = func(); // should return 5

// release block when we're done
        sceKernelFreeMemBlock(block);

return ret;
      }

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    bitsbubba and ed89 like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'PS Vita News' started by STLcardsWS, Aug 3, 2016.

1. need2burn
      need2burn
      I totally agree with the Remote Play function. I really enjoy using it with CFW PS3s although it could be improved, especially in the remapping of buttons department. I would also like to see if someone can figure out that bug with GTA V and a few other games.
    2. kozarovv
      kozarovv
      Now when we have dynarec, even ppsspp should be possible.
    3. ed89
      ed89
      Full working n64 on Vita would be very cool
      pinky likes this.
    4. pinky
      pinky
      indeed. u can play the n64 on the 360 through xell, but I don't know how well it works. we need the same on a sony system.
    5. ed89
      ed89
      not very well goldeneye 007 graphics glitches on every move unplayable... for example
      a lot of games dont even launch at all... blackscreen...

oK I can play n64 on PC but on ps Vita it would be even cooler I can play everywhere and more relaxed...

Ps Vita would be the "perfect" plattform for this emulator (or all other emulators too) imo cause its portable and has a
      very good Display good specs and "Hardware" buttons unlike smart phones and you can play psp ps1 and ps vita games native too not bad not bad isnt it?
      Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    6. kozarovv
      kozarovv
    7. kozarovv
      kozarovv