Initializing the PS2

Discussion in 'PS2 Homebrew' started by sp193, Dec 7, 2019.

1. 771
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Hi All,

If this thread's title sounds familiar... it's because it is similar to the one on AssemblerGames. That forum's future doesn't look... uh, too bright. Although I don't really want to commit time on PS2 stuff these days, I would like to share my knowledge so that this becomes a platform that is easier to work with.

Link to the article: https://sites.google.com/view/ysai187/home/projects/initializing-the-ps2psx

I realize that "initializing" is a very broad topic and perhaps I have put too much information one place. The thread on AssemblerGames had the topic split across multiple posts in that same thread, but I copied them into one webpage.

I've (finally) added code from XFMCB, to show how the PSX needs to be configured, to operate in PS2 mode. That means, the PS2 half of the CD/DVD drive is usable, the QUIT GAME button works and the EE RAM capacity is switched to 32MB.

Unfortunately, my consoles are all disconnected and packed up, so I did not test this. :D
    Since having a broken example might not be great for learning, I have retained the link to the previous bundle on my website.

Feel free to discuss and give comments!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    DeViL303, VTSTech, uyjulian and 4 others like this.
  2. 771
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    HDDUNITPOWER parameter handling in MBR program

This is some trivia that I found before, which I am also duplicating from AssemblerGames. The MBR program is the problem that is installed into the __mbr partition and is booted by rom0:OSDSYS. It is usually the first thing that is run from the HDD. The one in the HDD browser is not used to boot other software, so this post will be more of trivia...

I also found that Sony changed that behaviour slightly for the PSBBN. On the surface, the documented behaviour remained the same for the three options for HDDUNITPOWER (something similar is used within the MBR):
    • NICHDD: HDD's standby timer will be set to the Sony default of 0xff (21 minutes & 15 seconds).
    • NIC: The HDD unit is put into IDLE state (it is usually still spinning).
    • A blank: The network adaptor is switched off.
    For the "NIC" mode, the HDD was put into IDLE state with the ATA IDLE command, but with a standby timer value of 0. Unfortunately, that also prevented the HDD from ever transitioning into STANDBY state (which could mean a spin down, depending on the HDD).
    With the PSBBN, Sony issued the ATA IDLE IMMEDIATE command instead, which will only set the HDD into IDLE state without changing the standby timer. And so the HDD will allowed to enter STANDBY state after 21 minutes and 15 seconds, as per the Sony default.

I only checked the Japanese HDD Browser, however. But I doubt Sony would have corrected it for the US HDD Browser releases because they only added the IDLE IMMEDIATE command at SDK release 2.5.

svotib, TnA, uyjulian and 2 others like this.
  3. 330
    VTSTech

VTSTech Developer

Home Page:
    This is exactly what I need to be reading...

TnA and DeViL303 like this.