Install Netflix without PKG Installer

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by atreyu187, Oct 3, 2016.

1. 5,757
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    netflix_desktop.jpg

So I made this for users that don't have Netflix in their regions PSN Store. It is DRM free and will install and work with any Vita or PSTV no matter the region after install. Here are a few reasons I did it this way and not a VPK or MaiDump method. This method ties the app to your PSN account and doesn't need HENkaku activated to launch. This means if you ever decide to update past 3.60 the app will still launch and work just fine. It also ensures the app is "safe" as the system would refuse to install it if tampered with as it would break the encryption of the eboot.bin.

It can also be backed up via QCMA and installed to other systems if you are like me and have another system just for legit PSN use. There is also no need for a second account just to use Netflix. I have to use a seprate account for the HK region when I choose to use the Network Media Server app for my PSTV as it wasn't released in the NA PSN Store. This is annoying when I just want to stream some videos to the back room. This will save those without access to Netflix in their region the trouble of account swapping.
    Also no need for the PKG Installer which requires using other apps to install or IDU mode which can lead to a brick or worse an accidental update to 3.61 and then you are stuck in IDU mode. This method is simple, fast and carries ZERO risk of damage.

So here is how to install this form of Netflix. Simply download the file "(Region Free) Netflix for Vita-PSTV.7z" and extract the file and you will get a folder named "0000001" Once you have this fire up Vitashell and navigate to this folder

shell.jpg

ux0:bgdl/t

Then FTP the folder you got after extraction there. If a folder with that exist already simply delete it and move this folder there. This is where PKG files go after expanding. Once FTP is done simply power off your system, NOT STANDBY. Then reboot and open the activity bubble in the upper right corner where you can see your PSN activity, game updates, messages etc. You should see the Netflix app appear and proceed to install. If not just click on it and the install will begin and your all set.

flix1.jpg
    When you open this and get this error it is ok just simply press :but x: and you will be greeted with this screen

flix2.jpg
    This will tie the app to your act.dat so it will show up in your download list and also allow for updates once pushed. If this were a decrypted VPK once an update came out you would have to wait for a new dump but not with this method. Simply start the update and you are all set. Anyhow I hope this helps some users without access to the NA PSN Store that want to use the app. If all goes well and your done you will see a new bouncing bubble. Now go enjoy some Netflix!!

end.jpg

Netflix Download

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    bguerville, Phil, DeViL303 and 2 others like this.
  2. 6,898
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Very handy, are you still going to do the Network Media Player aswell? That would be great.

3. 5,757
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Can't get the newtwork media player. has DRM on it and MaiDumpTool and Vitamin fail dumping.

DeViL303 likes this.
  4. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    I have faith in you :)

5. 5,757
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

I am working on it. Most can't even get the data files decrypted. I had to use the old school method of using NEAR to remove PFS protection. Vitamin fails and Mai just boot loops and have to use recovery to rebuild database. But I haven't stopped trying. For now I use account swap to switch between the accounts. No need to format and both accounts and apps can coexist none card you just can't launch the others apps

DeViL303 likes this.
  6. 6,898
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Oh, so best bet is to spoof and go on the store on a new account then. Or is there another way to get Media Player?

7. 5,757
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    I made a HK account with my second system. Then used account swap to unbind my main account to the memory card and input my new HK account. Installed the app and it ran fine.

Good thing about a HK account everything is in English and tons of demos to convert into full retail. Even though I own resistance I grabbed it from there and was able to convert it and about 12 other games into full-fledged games.

So whenever I want to use the network media server app I use account Switcher to activate my Hong Kong account and the rest of my stuff I swap back to my normal account to be able to use that. Both sets at can exist on the memory card without the need to format but you can only launch content installed with each account so if you got it from the Hong Kong store you have to enable to Hong Kong account. That is unless you liberate it using vitamin then you can install the VPK on your main account

DeViL303 likes this.
  8. 5,757
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Think the new MaiDumpTool 233.2zEX will be able to do this. Till I get power back from the hurricane I can't test but we will keep you updated.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Th3-J0k3r and DeViL303 like this.
  9. 1
    yuyiwii

yuyiwii Forum Noob

Many thanks it is work on my vita, do you have other apps like youtube, maps, any apps it would great

10. 38
    Th3-J0k3r

Th3-J0k3r Member

Old Post I know but did you ever dump media server?

11. 5,757
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Use NoNPDRM plugin and you should be able to run the app jist fine.