Installing games on a PS3 hard drive

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by arcadesfan, Nov 12, 2019.

1. 12
    arcadesfan

arcadesfan Forum Noob

I never had a PS3 and want to buy one, but I am newbie in this matter.

If I buy an original unmodded PS3 ( without chip ), can I still install any kind of game on the hard drive, using pkg files ?
    Or do I need original DVD games in that case, and put them inside the console and then install them on the hard drive instead ?

Another question:

Is there any other solution to install any game on the console hard drive as a pkg
    file if I don´t have the original game DVD, using an original ( not chipped ) PS3 console ?
    Thanks in advance !

2. 1,430
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Games you legitimately own, either with the original game disc or a digital copy purchased from the PS Store are fine, and we have no problem helping with those games. However, we do not give any help for games which you do not own either the disc for or have legitimately bought on PSN. We do not tolerate piracy of any kind here. I'm not accusing you, I just want to make it clear. :)

3. 7,243
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

You do not need any chips, every console can be exploited now with just the web browser to run backups. Either pkg games or ISOs (PSX, PS2, PS3, PSP) can be loaded from internal and external drives, you can even load ISOs from PC over LAN.

Algol likes this.
  4. 12
    arcadesfan

arcadesfan Forum Noob

Sorry, I was not meaning piracy. It may apply to backups as well. I asked because I just wanted to know. If needed, I would buy an original DVD or buy from PSN.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  5. 12
    arcadesfan

arcadesfan Forum Noob

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me where I can get more information about it and the name of the utility ? Is it Hen Toolbox ?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  6. 1,430
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

It's no problem, I wasn't directing it to you specifically as I've seen in your other thread that you're still shopping for a PS3. I didn't mean to sound like I was pointing the finger or accusing you. :)

You can rip the original game disc but you need a modified system for this, ideally CFW compatible but HEN can also do it. You can also backup digital PSN games and some you can even convert into ISO to mount from an external hard drive, but compatibility is not guaranteed and it varies from game to game. I'd be more than happy to help you out, and I'm sure others will as well, regarding backing up any games you own once you get a PS3 with either CFW or HEN on it. :)

DeViL303 likes this.