PS3 Is 7c Temp difference to CELL in RSX normal ?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Cosmic-R, Aug 5, 2019.

1. 64
    Cosmic-R

Cosmic-R Forum Noob

so my slim 3k the rsx idles a degree or 2 hotter than cell on xmb which is normal (not like pre-delid systems wich rsx or cell is a quite a few degrees hotter than the other just on xmb)
    but on some games its several degrees for example just now GTAV Cell was at 65 and RSX at 72-73 fan speed set manual to 31% i was pushing it by setting the weather to rain explosive bullets blowing up stuff as fast as i could for about 10 minutes and thats what i got, right now as am writing this cell is 59 rsx 61 so i dont know, on idle it seems fine but on games...

2. 127
    Coro

Coro Member

gta v uses the rsx more than the cell. some games use the cell more than rsx.

on hen i recommend 35% manual fan for most things.

Algol likes this.
  3. 64
    Cosmic-R

Cosmic-R Forum Noob

what i know is that rsx runs hotter than cell but on idle is a 1 or 2 degree difference in games is 7 or maybe more so my question is that its normal for the rsx to run about 7 degrees hotter in-game while it can idle pretty close to cell.

i set it to manual 31% for the test but i have it on AUTO min 31% max 72c

4. 11,587
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

that's not bad. beyond a 10-12 degrees C difference isn't good.

Cosmic-R likes this.
  5. 64
    Cosmic-R

Cosmic-R Forum Noob

from what ive seen consoles that need delidding have a big difference even on idle, i just found it weird that it can idle fine but on games the difference is bigger and its always the rsx

6. 11,587
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I wouldn't worry too much really. your temps are fine.

Kier_1234657 and Cosmic-R like this.
  7. 310
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Large Temp difference say 15-20c means relative difference of degradation of thermal paste under IHS. Nothing wrong with CPU or RSX. Its only that thermal paste under IHS has dried up too much in RSX or Cell, whichever is giving high Temp.

Most people have problem with their Cell as it generally gets more hot. So in most of the cases people have Cell running higher than RSX by 5-10c. That's acceptable considering the age of console. But few users have it other way around, their RSX is 5-10c hotter than their Cell. If RSX is consistently 10c or more higher than Cell, delidding of RSX is recommended as its easier to Delid RSX. Cell is a different ball game as its much riskier.

Some people say that RSX and Cell should run at same Temp. And why? I don't see a logical explanation. Both chips are completely different in nature. How can you expect them to run at same Temperature?

8. 5,420
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

7ºC is not important enought for you to enter in panic mode

I think you got some wrong details of how temperature varies, maybe im wrong too (i dont think) but this is what i could see (starting from ambient with all the PS3 parts at around 30ºC or so)

In the first 10 or 15 minutes if you stay idle in XMB CELL temperature is bigger than RSX

After that, in the next 30 minutes RSX start ballancing his temperature with CELL, the difference in between them is minimal (or inexistent, both are exactly at the same temperature)

After that, when you enter in a game RSX starts taking the leading... you could have the RSX around 2ºC over CELL while playing in areas of the game with low graphic load

And eventually, when there is lot of graphic load the RSX does some fast temperature peaks that goes up and down
    I could not see with my own eyes how many difference there is in between CELL and RSX while that peaks are happening, but the 7ºC you said looks posible to me

Algol likes this.
  9. 123
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

I swear i'm the only one who has opposite temps compared when ever i see a topic like this.

My Cecha00 ALWAYS has a hotter CELL than RSX. On graphically intensive games, my RSX can occasionally reach the same as my Cell temp but only for a quick second or two, before the Dynmaic fan control loweres it back down again

On XMB my cell is normally 63 while RSX around 57
    On medium demanding games cell is 63-65 while RSX is 60-64
    On high demand games my cell can reach 68 while RSX can hit 69 for a moment, but usually down to 67.

My resting fan setting is at 28

10. 310
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

what is your fan settings? what are your fan speeds at running demanding games?

11. 64
    Cosmic-R

Cosmic-R Forum Noob

that ive seen with my own eyes
    my rsx idles within 1c or 2c hotter

i've neever seen those temp peaks you speak of either i think its because webman its just too slow to update the temps i think 1000ms or less would be necessary to see any temp peaks. also that 7c difference its not a peak its what it stays around in most games if it cools down a degree or two so will the cell keping the difference so the difference its always there unless your in the main game menu or something then temps will be pretty much xmb like

Auto #1
    on webman min 32% (for some reason webman sets the min fan speed 1% lower than what you actually set it to)
    Max 72c
    and its always the rsx thats hotter wich i know its normal i just dont know how much hotter is normal (not talking about peaks but stable temps)

12. 5,420
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The way how i explained tha temperature peaks is mostly the same you are telling, lets say... inside a game after playing 1 or 2 hours the temperature becomes stable (even if you return to the main game menu the temperature doesnt decreases much)

From that point (the minimal ingame for that game)... when playing you are going to see temperature peaks of around +2ºC or +º3C (i use to tell 5ºC just for rounding it but the max i saw was 3ºC or so iirc). This is caused by RSX

Im just talking in general because in the games i was using for tests the RSX peaks was returning back after lets say... 4 or 5 seconds
    The only exception to this rule i found was the last of us in the 2 areas of the game with water... this seems to keep the temperature peak constant up
    What you was doing by spamming objects and creating chaos with a mod menu could be pretty much the same, is just is not going to be stable

The time gap used by most custom fancontrol softwares (of around 3 seconds) i think is ok but i think is in the limits... to capture this temperature peaks it would be better to reduce the time gaps to 2 seconds or 1... but this is not posible (or better said is not practical because is not going to work fine)
    So the 3 seconds are fine, we cant see the accurate details of the temperature peak (his max) but we know it happened

This is another reason why i use to mention this temperature peaks could go up to +5ºC
    If i see in screen that the temperature peak was something like 2ºC or 3ºC i give it an "error margin" and for safety reasons i prefer to think that the peak maybe was 5ºC

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
Tags: