Is it possible to do HFW 4.84 noBT?

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Herfeus, Apr 27, 2019.

1. 35
    Herfeus

Herfeus Forum Noob

Hello there! Well, recently i attempted to install HFW on my ps3 super slim with OFW 4,82 and went through hell... You know, i got error 8002F1F9 and my ps3 went into a loop. Many hours later, i finally was able to stop the loop and got back into the ps3 system with the use of two HDDs. Unfortunately i had to format my main HDD in the process and couldn't update. It kept in 4.82 version. Well i figured out that it happens when the Bluetooth/wifi module is broken. After lots of researches on internet, it came into my knowledge that there is a CFW version that skip the Bluetooth verification and is capable of being installed. My question is: What happens if i try to install the CFW 4.84 NO-BT on my ps3 super slim? I know that CFW doesn't work on Super slim, but if i try to install it, would i be able to update my ps3 to 4.84 at least? or won't it even install? Thanks in advence!

2. 302
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) Chillin like a Krillin
    Home Page:
    You can't install CFW on a super slim, unless sometime in the future someone releases a kernel exploit for a newer firmware, which seems incredibly unlikely. However, you might be able to find some kind of modified OFW (MFW) that might work. HFW for example is just OFW with a few modifications, it's a bit technical but CFW is totally different. It's like, they removed the webkit so people can't use it to do the 4.82 exploit in 4.83 and up, from what I understand, all they did to create HFW was copy the webkit from 4.82 OFW back into an official OFW 4.84 update. No modified files were involved, everything was signed by Sony and so it worked. If someone were to delete key files related to bluetooth from an OFW update, creating a NO-BT MFW then it might work. CFW however, involves modified files and therefore won't work, it won't even install, you will get an error. Try researching NO-BT 4.84 MFW versions. I think you would want a NO-BT version of HFW, but I'm not sure if one exists, have a look.

If all else fails, buy a new bluetooth adapter on eBay.

3. 35
    Herfeus

Herfeus Forum Noob

Thanks for the reply! Your comment was really clarifying. Well, according to what you said above, I could simply delete the BT verification code from the hfw 4.84 and since I'm not putting any modified file there, it may work, it's still original. Well, I I'm gonna try to find it on internet, but if I don't, do you know which program is used to open and edit the update HFW fike? If I can't find it, I'll try to do it.

4. 302
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    @esc0rtd3w @bguerville @habib and @Joonie worked on the project together, why don't you ask them? If you do make a NO-BT version I'm sure many people would appreciate an upload :) good luck!

5. 1,150
    esc0rtd3w

esc0rtd3w Developer

Hacker
    Home Page:
    thanks, but not possible

n00b likes this.
  6. 302
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Oh, why not? Do you have to modify something to disable bluetooth?

Hmmm if so, are there any OFW versions that came without bluetooth? If so, couldn't you just replace some of the files with older versions lacking bluetooth?

You seem to have the wrong idea here. We are not talking about altering anything. Simply removing files, or replacing them with older versions. Signed versions, nothing customized. See my examples of this being done successfully below.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  7. 35
    Herfeus

Herfeus Forum Noob

I just found a program called FMW Builder... It has a noBT patch function that, apparently, removes the BT verification in one click... Well, I could test this, but not sure if it's possible to make an ofw noBT version. I mean, if that is so simple, why couldn't I find an ofw noBT version on Internet? Well is there anybody there who could tell if a HFW 4.84 noBT is possible? Thank you! If nobody tried, I could...

8. 302
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Once you modify OFW it becomes MFW if you used all official files, or CFW if you used some customized files, it wouldn't be posted as OFW, since it's no longer completely official, even if all the files are.

You could try asking the creator of that program how his program works. Does it overwrite the official files with custom files, or official files? What files does he replace? Once you know that, you can try and find official versions of those files if need be, that pre-date bluetooth. Who knows what side-effects you might experience though. You should also research what those files you would be replacing would affect on your system, and what updates were applied to those files in between the old and new versions. You might remove more than just bluetooth doing that, you might break something critically important. Careful!

9. 1,917
    Berion

Berion Developer

You cannot modify executables, not even signed archives. If You will, then OFW >3.55 will reject the PUP archive, and You will not even unpack it to the internal storage.

10. 35
    Herfeus

Herfeus Forum Noob

Yeah, I got that... But what was pointed out by @imkira3 is about deleting something, not modifying. So the PUP would still have intact original files. I think it could work. Don't you?

11. 302
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Yeah exactly, to provide an example, I based this idea on BO1 patching for OFW. To mod BO1 on OFW you DON'T modify a thing. You instead replace a patch with an older patch. All files are signed, ergo it works just fine. Wouldn't the same thing work here? Whether deleting an existing file, or replacing it with an older file, no modding occurs, all files are signed. We are not talking about modding ANYTHING here. If you scroll up, I clarified all this in my first reply.

To provide another example, HFW. They simply added files that were removed in a prior update. Whether adding, deleting, or replacing files, it should absolutely work as long as you are working with official unaltered signed files. Unless the PUP itself needs to be signed as well, but it doesn't. If it did, how could HFW possibly exist? This is more than just a theory, it has been put into practice in multiple instances, such as with my examples.

The question is, how would we go about modding the PUP, what files would need to be removed, what else would removing those files affect, and would if be safer to replace the file instead, with a version that pre-dates bluetooth on the PS3, if such a thing exists, and what side-effects might that cause? Note once again that when I say mod, I am not talking about altering signed files.

Lol, it's funny how many people only read the bottom post. You simply won't get this thread if you do, so I tried to be as clear as possible this time. If I am mistaken in any of this, please take the time to clarify why. Once again, we are not talking about modifying executable files.

@Herfeus it might be a good idea to put that last bit in the title lol.

12. 35
    Herfeus

Herfeus Forum Noob

I just changed the title name for something more accurated with what this thread has been about. @imkira3 thanks for the idea. Hopefully someone will be able to give a satisfying answer about this subject.

imkira3 likes this.
  13. 302
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Not quite what I meant, but good idea. What I was suggesting was to point out in the title that we are not trying to modify executable files on HFW, perhaps in brackets after the new title, as people seem to be writing off your question under the assumption that was what you meant.

14. 4,448
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Is not posible for 2 reasons:
    1) the mehod used by joonie and habib has not even explained, so is unknown unless someone finds and publishes how i works
    2) They have told (and i believe them by now until the magic trick is unveliled and reviewed) that the mehod only allows to modify some files... and they have told the BT/wifi firmware and related files is not one of them

Yugonibblit likes this.
  15. 302
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    But we are not trying to modify the files dude. We are trying to delete the files. Every file in the PUP would be signed. Official and unaltered. We merely want to remove some files.

16. 4,448
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

You are thinking in the PUP as a container where all the files inside it are separated individually and follows the same "packing" rules, but is not like that

Also, as i mentioned they have not explained what they did to replace the web browser files... so until that point is explained is a bit pointless to speculate what can be modifyed and what not because we dont know the limitations
    But they have made clear that there are limitations

imkira3 likes this.
  17. 302
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    I see, you right I was thinking of it like a rar lol. I guess they encrypt the whole thing as one huge package, in addition to individual executable files?

That's smart of them not to release the method though. Sony will have a harder time patching it.

Well @Herfeus, I guess that means you will have to buy a new adapter. Don't worry man, they are pretty cheap.

18. 995
    Louay

Louay Senior Member

College student
    Home Page:
    You can't as i rember lv1 must be patched and you need to remove BT firmwares from UPL.xml in order to bypass and pup have spkg encryption that check that the files were stored in the PUP are the same after rencryption so the PUP will be created but it will not let you install that PUP cause it is 3.55< :)

requeijaum likes this.
  19. 35
    Herfeus

Herfeus Forum Noob

Thats fine... I was just trying to understand better the situation, anyways, now i got it. Thank you guys!

20. 302
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Ohhhhhhhh interesting, very interesting. I think you may have stumbled across those limitations Sandungas was talking about. If existing files need to be the same in the PUP then maybe you can't edit those, but maybe you can add additional signed files with whatever method Joonie and Habib used. I'm rather curious about that method now lol