Is it worth putting the time

Discussion in 'XBOX 360' started by Spawn, Jan 14, 2018.

1. 573
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Today I'm cleaning out my sister's storage, that contains 10-15 consoles. XBOX, XBOX 360, PS1-3 etc...

Was thinking about grabbing the HDD from the 360:s and scrapping the rest. Then I started thinking about trying a JTAG.

Now question is.. is worth the time these days?
    I mean, I'm a PS player mainly. But it could be fun to play around and learn a few things.

2. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    Do it I know I'm always up for new challenges and learning new things

Spawn likes this.
  3. 11,923
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

maybe. there are thousands of indie games and you can use a 2TB internal drive. also, my favorite online game is on that system - trials and its sequel. I think you can even player user-made tracks.

Spawn likes this.
  4. 573
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Well, I'm going for it. :)

Will crack that sucker open tonight. My sis didn't know if it works or not, but hey, I got it for free. :)

If it runs, I'll give it a shot.
    Also found an original Xbox that I know runs, as it's in the original packaging and plastered. :D

Iirc they could be softmodded fairly easily..?
    This is not the place, but if you guys know where to get all files needed, please point me in the right direction. ;)

5. 573
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Well, a bit disappointed I realized that the 360 suffers from rrod.. :(

At least the HDD was salvageable, and packed a good enough 320Gb.. Always good to have a spare. :)

6. 11,923
    pinky

that sucks, man. you can get the secondary error code to see what's specifically wrong with it. I think it might require the rrod. I posted this in my 360 tutorials thread:

Pinky's XBOX360 Tutorials

this is assuming that you want to try and fix it. it's probably not worth it if it's a xenon. you can tell which console is which by the power input on the back.

as for the xbox, I'm afraid I never owned one of those. a 360 is backwards compatible with it. it can't play everything though. however, there are hacked compatibility files that improve compatibility greatly. anyway, I'm not sure if an xbox is hard modded or soft modded.

Spawn likes this.
  7. 573
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Thanks. Following that post, I find I have 1002: unknown error code..

Will put some research into it, but since it's old I don't think I'll stress out to much..

Ok, well I found some old posts regarding the original Xbox that mentioned softmod using hotswap and/or savegame exploits, but it seems all links to the related files are long dead.. :(

8. 11,923
    pinky

yeah, some are unknown. tbh, I'm not even sure how people figure out what each error code means.

as for the original xbox, you might ask on gbatemp. se7ensins, or team xecuter's site. I'm not sure if they'd have active links though, but it's worth a try. I believe saves and/or dlc are stored in the tdata or udata folders. the 360 has these folders as well within the xbox emulator (compatibility folder). I remember them being used whenever I'd use one of those xbox trainers to install dlc. those trainers were created for you if you had bought dlc but could no longer access it due to the xbox game servers having been shut down some time ago. they're for the original xbox. you probably need your xbox modded to use them. I think they may work on the 360 as well. I installed a few, and all said "install successful." well, all but one. anyway, I think that's where dlc and/or saves are stored.

Spawn likes this.
  9. 7,845
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Error codes are usually gotten from the sdk mostly then eventually missing ones get added from experimenting & disassembling.

pinky likes this.
  10. 573
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I've been investigating the 360 a bit more closely, and it seems there's a crack (very fine) near the southbridge. Could be the reason for rrod..?

11. 11,923
    pinky

possibly. personally, it's probably not worth investigating since 360s are so cheap. you should check s7evinsins or team xecuter's website for detailed information about an rgh.

Spawn likes this.
  12. 11,923
    pinky

@Spawn , rrod suggests that you're using an early phat. jaspers are not prone to it as much. slims, on the other, can't suffer from it. with those, hardware failure is rdod ("red dot of death") as only the middle will be red. those should be less likely to suffer from hardware failure. I've never owned one though, only phats. one of the funny things about the 360 is that the system, hdd, and controller all use torx. however, only the controller uses torx security with the hole in the middle of a normal torx screw. lol I don't know if there's a reason for this.

Spawn likes this.
  13. 573
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Oh, didn't know that. :)

Well either way it's dead. But I got some extra storage and 2 controllers out of it. And a spare HDMI cable. ;)

14. 11,923
    pinky

I have a blue, green, gold, clear, and pink hdd enclosure. guess which color I'm using? :-p

15. 573
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Green. :P

Man, now you made me craving new enclosures... Gotta browse eBay for some cool ones.. ;)

pinky likes this.
  16. 11,923
    pinky

pink, of course. :D

they're pretty neat. be careful with the spring that holds the eject button down. it can fly off and be bloody difficult to find, if you're not careful. . ;)

17. 573
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Lol. That was a bit too obvious. ;)

Yes, I've lost a few springs over the years... Luckily I bought a bulk bag of those (500pcs or something) way back, so I still have a few lying around. ;)

pinky likes this.
  18. 11,923
    pinky

I've never permanently lost a spring, but I've had them fly off before. I did lose a torx screw head when my parents needed one. I lost it somewhere around my bed, and I've been unable to find it since. the screw holes in the controller are too small to fit the screw head in though, so I have a special screwdriver for them. it was my smallest torx screw head. I also recently lost a 64GB memory card for the ps vita. that one is somewhere near my laptop area. :-p

btw, that's a lot of springs! :D

Spawn likes this.
  19. 573
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Decided to jump the 360 train once more. :)

Got my hands on a RE5 Limited Edition (Jasper) in prime condition for a fair trade. Traded a spare PS3 Slim for it.

I'll start off by saying that I already have the games for it, that I'm interested in (Gears of War 1-3 Collectors Edition + Judgement and Mass Effect trilogy all in Collectors Edition), but I may be a bit curious about a JTAG.

I have absolutely no knowledge about it, except for watching some videos by Mr. Mario on YouTube.
    What are the requirements? Do I need some special equipment besides the soldering tools?

20. 11,923
    pinky

don't forget about lost odyssey. that's a 360 exclusive by the creator of the final fantasy series. it also has music by the composer of final fantasy. it's what final fantasy should've been. ;)

a jtag requires 7371 or below kernel. if the system has been in an attic or something, it might be low enough. I believe only the latest consoles can't be hacked with jtag or rgh. :)