Is it worth putting the time

Discussion in 'XBOX 360' started by Spawn, Jan 14, 2018.

1. 542
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Ok. I'll check it out. :D

The previous owner hasn't used it in years, so it should be on a low kernel and dash.

So there's no need to buy anything to make a JTAG? I think I've seen some guys talking about resistors, but I'm not sure.

2. 10,750
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

it might not be worth jtagging. the only systems that can be jtagged are jasper and before. the jtasper is the last phat. the falcon is okay. I actually own two falcons and one jasper. only the falcons are jtagged. however, I'm afraid to play them after my first 360 (a xenon) rrod. like the ps3, those phat 360s just don't last. with a slim, you have a much better chance. you can find all the information you need on team xecuter's website (yeah, the same team as the switch) or se7ensins' website. :)

Spawn likes this.
  3. 542
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I see..

Well, since the RE Limited Edition is a Jasper, I'll stick with original.

Perhaps later on I find myself having a slim, then I might resume exploring the JTAG. ;)

4. 10,750
    pinky

without looking, is that the red system? I think I remember it, but I've never owned one. jtaggable jaspers are pretty rare. you might look into an r-jtag if that's the case. I tried looking for a tutorial for you, but all I could find was rgh. :-/ once you open up the system, you might as well hack the dvd drive. I think the jaspers come with either a lite-on or benq drive. you'll get the dvd drive key which is what you need to hack the optical drive. tbh, I can't recall if you even need a hacked drive to rip backups. I'm thinking that you don't.

5. 542
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Yes it's the red one. Well, according to my research so far, it should be jtag-able. I'll look into r-jtag as well, just to be safe. :)

6. 10,750
    pinky

well, you need to check the kernel version. 7371 may have come out 10 years ago. iirc, it's the first dashboard that they used, before NXE and metro, so it's ancient.

Spawn likes this.
  7. 34
    Chumdiddy1

Chumdiddy1 Forum Noob

I'd say so. The job itself is fun and it has nice indies, etc.

8. 10,750
    pinky

yeah, that's where sony fucked up big time. m$ only charged indie devs $99 for a license as opposed to the expensive ps3 dev kits. indies for some reason are read as dlc by the system, and they all have the same title id.

9. 542
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Well, I might end up paying for the jtag. Seems it's the safest and easier route. ;)

I just installed my games on the 360, thinking I could play them with no disc, to avoid wear and tear. But no, I ain't that lucky. :(

Seems that I need a jtag or a second set of discs to keep my collector editions safe... :(

10. 10,750
    pinky

yeah, unfortunately, you can't do that. the rips made by the console itself are known as nxe rips. you need an app called nxe2god. games on demand (god) are the same rips just with the disc checks removed. with nxe2god, you can do this, even remove them from all games installed in one go. however, the games are not playable without a jtag or an rgh. it sucks. I was hoping that with the switch it would be different since I hate having to pick the system up to insert a cart (afraid of dropping a cart behind my entertainment center). each cart seems to have a serial number or some such number in order to redeem coins. Nintendo knows if a cart has been used. I was hoping that that information was stored on the system since the existence of the game is recorded, but nope. I wish you could rip the games to internal memory for that very reason. :-/

11. 1,143
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    The only downside of the XBOX which i find annoying is the damn HDD Encryption and dependability, thats why i sold my X360S due to the lack of memory HDD and expensive prices for small amout of GBs, and last week i wanted to mod my Original XBOX and upgrade the HDD to a WD 120Gb, i didnt have Splinter Cell so my only choice was the Hot-Swap method, and as a result, it deleted the Dashboard Partition, getting error 13, but games are still bootable which is a relief, but ill get another one soon, just for Dead Or Alive Ultimate and a couple of games i missed out, during the 2000s, as i mainly own PlayStation Systems, but i am not picky with other systems, for me each system has theyre own uniqueness, but fanboys is what i despise, and this generation, is just XBOX, PS and Nintedo guys bashing left and right :D

12. 10,750
    pinky

now, you can use a 2TB external hdd since kernel 16xxx. the ps3 can't do this. you select the storage medium at the boot up of every game I believe to use it. the ps3 should've been able to do this. there was an app that would allow this before the official way, but it cost around $30 for a license. hackers were able to crack it though. I've never used it. I haven't used the official way either. iirc (tried with a thumb drive), you can set the partition level when you format it, so you can have it format only 2GB of a 16GB flash drive. it may or may not require the serial number. hdds do, but that can be found in system settings. lol anyway, I think it makes several file on the flash drive labeled xbox. I've never tried this with something as large as an hdd though. you don't need to with a jtag. it's more of a hindrance in that case. ;)

13. 10,750
    pinky

I can't seem to edit. that's the console's serial number. :)

14. 1,143
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Quite thinking about it, i might buy a X360 again, just because of Dead Or Alive Series, since 3 and 4 are XBOX Exclusive as well as DOA2 Ultimate (DOA2 Remake) :D

Plus DOA3 and DOA Ultimate are backwards compatible with the X360, so thats a bonus :D

15. 10,750
    pinky

it's a decent system. the ergonomic feel of the controller is nice, but its dad is one of the worst I've ever seen. the adjustable dpad isn't much better, and it develops hairline cracks even from minimal use. the wii u pro controller has that same ergonomic feel but with a playstation style dpad. I think I like that controller more than any other including the switch pro controller's. ;)

the only two games I've played extensively on the system were braid (beat and got all achievements) and tales of vesperia. with tales of vesperia, my original system, a xenon, got rrod before I beat the game. that's made me nervous to play the system at all, so I stopped playing games on it despite buying three more systems. all three are hacked in an effort to reduce strain on the console. these are all phats too. ps3 phats apparently have high failure rate as well, so I would get a slim 360 but I'd need to buy one used, and I don't even think I'd play the thing. afaik, the newest 360s are unhackable.

Naked_Snake1995 likes this.
  16. 609
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

Jtaging requires soldering which is somthing I'm not expierenced at.

pinky likes this.
  17. 1,143
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Yes, i am trying to avoid the 1st Gen X360 at all cost, i am more towards the Slim or the E.

Although lets admit that, the 1st Gen 360 was a good looking machine, don't get me wrong, in 2005/06 both Sony and MS knew how to design they're machines, after that all of them just seem generic too me :)

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

pinky likes this.
  18. 10,750
    pinky

my 360s are two falcons and one jasper. the two falcons are second gen and those are my two jtags. I never played anything too intensive with them, mostly xbox original games. the jasper is a last gen phat. it's supposed to be pretty reliable, but I still don't trust a phat. that one has a flashed drive which I'd need to reflash for xgd3. its firmware is lower than 13xxx. I think my other jtag is on 12xxx, and the one I use is on the latest firmware. the latest firmware's only change is a change to the terms of service I believe. lol that came out maybe a month, month and a half ago after nothing for like a year+.

19. 542
    Spawn

Spawn Member

As stated before, mine is a Jasper. After alot of research and consideration, I made the decision to keep it stock. When I come across another one (preferably a slim with the Trinity board) I'll make jtag/rgh.

Since I got this one so cheap and mainly to play gears of war, I see no reason tampering with it, since it's a RE Limited Edition.

pinky likes this.
  20. 10,750
    pinky

slims can't be jtagged. they also can't get rrod. now, it's rdod (red dot of death). that's one way to eliminate the rrod problem. ;)

Spawn likes this.