IS Joystick of DS3 and Sixaxis repairable?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by snkplkn, Aug 19, 2019.

1. 340
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

You are right. Its always the Left stick that fails first. And this controller is 11 years old. So it has taken its beating of fair use. My RIGHT Stick is perfect condition.

About these analog sticks sold online. Are they genuine like Sony put it in original DS3? I don't think so. I think they are knockoffs like those in 3rd party cheap controllers. I don't think they will perform as smoothly and efficiently as original DS3 analog sticks.

I guess best bet is finding dead DS3 controller, extracting its RIGHT analog Stick which will likely be in good shape and use it to replace LEFT analog stick to my working controller. But too much headache i think.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. 5,745
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

No, the original DS3 sticks are made by ALPS (and the DS3 blutooth module too btw) but if you look at the ALPS web they are not availables to buy for mortal consumers... was made exclusivelly for sony

So the 100% of the replacement DS3 sticks you are going to find are "clones" made by other manufacturers (not made by ALPS)... but the quality is good because are easy to clone
    The feeling is great in all them when are new, the most important thing is the quality of the plastic materials at the bottom
    As i said before... if you have an original DS3 stick... try to open it to separate all the small pieces and check all them patiently trying to imagine how every small piece works, and the efforts that everyone of them needs to support
    There are only 2 parts that matters... one is the white "tip" at the bottom of the stick, and the other is the base (where that tip rubs)
    In long term that 2 pieces destroys each other... and the white "tip" is always a lot more damaged than the other

Ive seen several DS3 sticks where the white piece was damaged, but the base was not damaged (this is unusual though)
    What uses to happen is the white piece is veeeeeery damaged and the base have a bit of damage (in this case you can "polish" the base, yeah, this can be repaired partially)

Edit:
    So... in resume... the maintenance i use to do with the original sticks is:
    1) sandpaper the white tip to recover his "spherity" a bit (dont abuse of this though)
    2) polish the base if needed (toothpaste works good as an abrasive to polish stuff :P + cotton ear sticks)
    3) clean the shit from the "joints" of the mobile parts (this is very important)
    4) lube the mobiles parts "joints" with vaseline

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    snkplkn likes this.
  3. 340
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

You continue to amaze me with amount of information. You are a one man Playstation wikipedia.

sandungas likes this.