Is my PS3 repairable? Please help

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Xenon218, Nov 30, 2019.

1. 8
    Xenon218

Xenon218 Forum Noob

Hello! So recently i've bought a used PS3 PHAT(CECHG04), cleaned it and got it running. Everything was fine except the disc drive was broken. I stumbled upon some spare parts and found a working BD also from a phatt model, but since the disc drive is married to the MB i had to jailbreak my console in order to re-marry it. I am quite a newbie when it comes to this stuff so i was/am not informed that well. I tried to jailbreak via software from ofm 4.82, via website method. Since the console was on ofm 3.56 i tried to update via USB to 4.82 and got stuck in the infamous update loop, where it would get to 74% and then just show an error regarding the BD, i then wiped and formated the hdd on my pc, put it back in, and then went into recovery mode and tried to update from an usb, but then i get stuck at: "Checking... Please wait" this message stays up and nothing happens. I've formatted the usb to fat32(this usb was getting recognized literally minutes before) but the end result is still the same. And even if i would get it to update wouldnt get stuck at 74% again? Is there another solution like flashing it or has it RIPed? I've seen people say that you can easily re-marry a new disc drive, and you could get a new hdd and everything would be fine, but how do you update it when it fails the BD check? Any help would be GREATLY appriciated!

2. 6,510
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The problem when the installation stopped at 74% probably was because the BD daughterboard was not well connected (check that connectors again), or because the ribbon cables are damaged

The USB stick not recognized probably is because it needs to be formatted using MBR (not GPT)
    If you formatted it with the default settings of a modern windows it used GPT and the PS3 doesnt even understands what GPT means (so it cant read his contents)

Algol likes this.
  3. 8
    Xenon218

Xenon218 Forum Noob

I do have the original daughter board but when I connect it the blue light flashes normally but the error doesn't seem to go away, ive used two different ribbon cables, so the only thing that comes in mind is that either the board is dead or the mb connector has riped, the USB is mbr I am using formating with a software. Is there any other way I can bring the console to life, like a flashing it with something else or? Thank you for your help

4. 6,510
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Have you studyed well the connectors ?... they have a mobile part that allows for 2 different positions, "open" or "closed"
    Incase you dont know what im taking abut thats your problem, the first step is to "open" the connector, then you insert the ribbon cable in it, and finally you "close" the connector

Algol likes this.
  5. 8
    Xenon218

Xenon218 Forum Noob

Hello, i've solved my problem. My usb flash drive wasn't corectlly formated, i formated with the built in windows 10 disk partitioning software and it did take around 30 mins for my ps3 to recognize the usb but in the end it did. i have another question but i am gonna open another thread about that, thank you so much for your help!