Is the PS4 jailbreaking scene definitely dead ?

Discussion in 'PS4 Jailbreak, Exploits & Hacks' started by francesco2013, Jun 18, 2019.

1. 130
    francesco2013

francesco2013 Developer

Development Operations Manager
    Home Page:
    For what I have seen there are no progresses whatsoever in the jailbreaking scene for the PS4. Possible Sony won the final battle ? Not even one year before the release of the PS5 and still the PS4 is a massive
    stronghold nobody really managed to breach completely and ultimately.

I am impressed frankly as someone that works in Internet security how well protected a videogaming console is. On the Internet there are thousands of network services and operating systems with a ton of exploitable bugs while the PS4 stands over all of them tenths of times better protected. Incredible imho. We are talking about a gaming console not a web server or db server that serves million of requests a day !

Either hackers are not really wasting their time in even trying to make a progress with the jb of the PS4 or Sony really made something remarkable protecting their device.

Niander466 likes this.
  2. 525
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

Every time exploit appears, Sony did patching job very quickly and it's just like cat and mouse game.

SahQuelPlaisir likes this.
  3. 3,084
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

PS3 scene became quite active after PS4 was released, I'd expect the same cycle judging by the history of PS3 and Vita scenes.

SahQuelPlaisir, ntodek, TnA and 4 others like this.
  4. 1,365
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    I wouldn't say its dead, there is simply no new exploits chains for the PlayStation4 at the moment besides 5.05 HEN, we are already on 6.71, its a cat and mouse game, which each update Sony patching more and more security flaws, and the exploit scene trying to find those flaws.

There was the Media Player Exploit, which was compatible with all firmwares beyond 6.20 at the time, but that Exploit was more a proof of concept, and went completely dark afterwards,never to being seen again.

Usually Consoles get exploited at the end of they're life circle, i wouldn't be surprised after the PS5, Sony dropped the ball with one of the updates on the PS4 leaving the gate open to an exploit without too much hassle, but Sony learned that from the PlayStation3 3.55 fiasco.

PlayStation3 Scene its the most active, due to the machine being affordable to the masses, and easy to exploit, not to mention brings a lot of lost or removed functionalities back, with the release of the 4.84 it was Sonys last ditch effort to keep the Web Exploit under control, unfortunately for them, that didn't turned to be quite the way they wanted, so 4.84 its declared exploited, and Sony has no intentions on updating the console, nor supporting it.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

ethelmonk and ntodek like this.
  5. 61
    Kazama

Kazama Forum Noob

The devs in ps4 scene is in hibernation and they don't want to burn the only exploit chain hence they are silenced.

Once the EOL of ps4 reached then they will definitely release exploit to the public which would be the highest firmware exploited in the time of release.
    I Have faith in the devs of ps4.

The ps3 scene is more active and they simply rock. I sold my ps4 and now I'm on fat ps3 now and I'm enjoying it.

6. 1,066
    habib

habib Developer

PS4 scene is not dead. Their exploits basically are not released to public because they mainly allow piracy. And some don’t release due to epeen. Also ps4 never took attention as ps3/vita did. Ps4 is basically a PC with a lot of limitations and games exclusives. I actually try to come into it but I never get the same vibe I get from ps3....for me even vita is interesting.

But I would say yes if you mean releasing exploits to public as scene then it would appear at EOL of ps4 I suppose.

DeViL303, ZeroOne, ntodek and 5 others like this.
  7. 11,163
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

piracy and online cheating are probably the reason for no new, "public" exploits. a few of the ps4 hackers have said that the ps4's security isn't very impressive. here's a quote by Math: https://twitter.com/mathieulh/status/998817384118054912?lang=en

the same holds true of the ps3 (if not for the lawsuits, the ps3 would've been fully hacked within hours or days after the metldr exploit): http://wololo.net/2012/10/25/clarifying-the-confusion-on-the-ps3-development/

the three musketeers had to come to the same conclusion, hence the reason it took substantially longer.

8. 8,725
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

I disagree with this statement as it simply is not reality.

The exploits have been released in a way that no other jailbroken device has seen.
    Backdated firmware, meaning the exploits arose to public AFTER they were patched and new firmware was released. Where as in other devices you see an exploit on current firmwares of that time and then a company publish new firmware.

Which there is pros and cons with this approach the con being it makes the PS4 community much smaller compared to many of the others. Thus its going to feel much smaller as it has.

9. 5,602
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    I wouldn't say it's dead. Heck we have seen some impressive homebrew lately with Unity and more is on the way. I mean we can't play new games but that's not what it is all about. And someone has access to it as the new Spiderman has some of its files leaked and put on the internet within the last week.

I had my 1.76 system for years and it never became viable really. A ride bit here and there for mods and such. There is many times more available content nowadays and with Linux and now Unity it keeps getting better. I for one am glad their isn't a public exploit for the latest firmware as PSN on the PS3 is terrible for legit users.

I'm sure if/when Sony manage to patch the private exploit (which would be by accident TBH) and another private exploit is found it will see it's way online like fail0verf0w's exploit did.

10. 31
    Chaos Husky

Chaos Husky Forum Noob

Can't say i agree with the PS4's security being all that impressive, i mean comparing it to systems that have to handle way more sh*t isn't exactly fair xD PCs and servers have to handle an awful lot more variance, whereas a console is rather 'locked down' in comparison.. Almost an application specific computer lol

Sadly my own Xbox One and PS4 mostly sit collecting dust.. As others have said they're low powered PCs in custom boxes anyway and there certainly hasn't been that many 'exclusives' i've wanted to play.. Made that mistake with the Crash Bandicoot remake on the PS4..played it twice and then just waited for the PC release x3 thank feck i can look forward to Halo on the PC again, at last, as well as Spyro, already have Forza, etc..

And stop swearing at me with Linux! Haha..

11. 11,163
    pinky

remember - geohot has said that hacking the ps3 only took 5 weeks. there wasn't much interest until sony removed other os. so much for their security. lol I think it's a common misconception that hacking a system starts on the day the system is released.

12. 70
    Fanhais

Fanhais Member

I think the jailbrake for ps4 should be release in EOL because is fustrating when someone play online and face cheaters like ps3 and 360 in past,
    and for emulators and hombrew is nice when the console is no longer be in production.
    So we win all homebrew developers and comum user still has the ps4 in home and at same time have ps5 or other console.

pinky likes this.
  13. 8,725
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Disagreed. As it only takes a Sony firmware update (which would be first priority ) and everything your complaining of is fixed / non-issue within a week or so.

PS4 is not the PS3.If it was, then how come you do not have PSN access on a Lower firmware on a PS4 currently. So we cant compare it like that as its not the same whatsoever.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  14. 9
    RnD_Customz

RnD_Customz Member

I think what's really is goin on, is the exploit chains that are available, wont be made public for some time. Fear of a C&D is a real thing. I dont know any one modder rich enough for that legal battle. Releasing a cuurrent exploit chain would put a big target on your back js. Too much money is involved with current gen. It took the Ps4 being out for a few full years before ps3xploit came out...you still needed an e3 for downgrading at that point. Sony still tried to clamp down...Everyone should just be grateful for what the devs have done so far, and i personally just want to say thanks for any past or future work that has been contributed to the scene.

15. 11,163
    pinky

I think cheating on the ps4 would be difficult. instead of a lose assortment of files, games are installed as app.pkg, then decrypted possibly in the sandbox partition. I think that's why the app dumper works the way it does - the game must be decryptable with a legit license. to modify a package, you have to make it modifiable (a selection in orbis). by default, it's not selected. and, if it's a patch that you found online or something, you'd probably have to repack it with duxa's repacker, since games and their patches, when dumped, are tied together. afaik, you can't even dump the game again and have it work with a patch from an earlier dump.

edit: modifying a package and 0'ing out the keystone is how to get saves to work. I don't believe updates contain the keystone, only with base game. however, they'll still have to be repacked. if you don't repackage the patch, then it will error at about 100% when the package is being installed. I believe the pkg will still be installed to the system but simply won't work.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  16. 1
    Goku1992A

Goku1992A Forum Noob

I bought a 5.05 PS4 from Ebay... I didn't do my research and discovered I could not play games after April 2018. The games that was available I already had them I ended up selling the PS4 on ebay and bought a gamimg laptop. (Best Decision I made)

To answer your question it inst dead but who has time to wait on something that may or may not happen. Look at the Xbox1 that never been jailbroken and considering that Sony fixed the exploit your chances are zero to none. I still have my offical PS4 and I am very happy with it. If you want to wait on something you can wait but right now it's only a waiting game.

ethelmonk likes this.
  17. 5
    unique

unique Forum Noob

um, then, if a game requires newest firmware;
    5.05 jailbroken PS4 can't run it?

18. 1,365
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    XBOX One hasn't been hacked, due to the interest of the community, which nobody wants to bother with a machine that reveals little interest for the developers, so they switch they're focus on the PlayStation4.

There are people that have PS4s on 5.05 for research purposes, or development, but barely use it, as we are on 6.72 and due to firmware limitations, newer titles aren't going to cut it, but for enthusiasts who has more then one PS4, they use the 5.05 HEN mainly just for fun, and to explore the machines capabilities,but there is always that little minority of beggars who want to have a exploit for the PlayStation4, just mainly to play unlicensed titles without paying a single dime, and get away with it, its just how the world is unfortunately, and PS4 titles aren't that expensive to begin with, [email protected] makes great deals on they're titles, personally don't regret my investment into my PlayStation4, it serves me well, not to mention, it never crossed my mind on exploiting it, as my personal policy its to Exploit a machine when its no longer in production and its unsupported by the manufacturer or online capabilities, and to be honest for Emulation the PlayStation3 is a far better choice.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

19. 2,060
    Berion

Berion Developer

There are also "beggars", included me, which needs exploit for current firmwares because they need access to their data... IDPS, EAP Key, PFS Key, name few them...

20. 1,365
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Thats one thing lad, for research purposes, i am not against it, but when you make an exploit available to the public, you never know if the users use it with good intentions or for piracy usage, its at everyone's will to do as they please, unfortunately many users which are the "beggars" choose the 2nd alternative, that's unavoidable.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk