Is the PS4 jailbreaking scene definitely dead ?

Discussion in 'PS4 Jailbreak, Exploits & Hacks' started by francesco2013, Jun 18, 2019.

1. 8
    unique

unique Forum Noob

ignore

Th3-J0k3r likes this.
  2. 12,890
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I remember kiiwii telling me that piracy is the reason cited for no external hdd support hen. it may have changed now, but that was the original intention. I just want to be able to play game backups digitally. I currently own 63 digital titles for the switch, because I have problems walking and standing (don't want to drop the system). I also have about 17-20 retail games for the system, which I rebought just to have everything digital. then, there's also saves that I'm afraid may be lost if something happens to the system. those are two legit reasons for wanting a hack/exploit, for me at least.

3. 2,684
    Berion

Berion Developer

If You talking about PS4, then You can export saves to USB (but I'm not sure if this feature is past fw v5.05). Also:
    • I didn't checked if they can be restored without SEN account verification (but probably they are since dir name is NP Account ID...)
    • I don't know if they are tight to specific unit
    Knowing Sony to restricting access to our data, I wouldn't be surprised if this copy is... useless... without SEN account glued to them and/or another console.

4. 12,890
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

actually, I was talking about the switch there. with the ps4, unfortunately, you need to have an account that's signed in for that. I plan to delete my old, banned account when/if we can ever sign in. also, using decrypted saves won't transfer. they'll show up as corrupted. I can't remember, but that may be after saving with a 0'd out keystone. I've only run a few tests, no intensively played some games, then tested.

edit: I had my first switch fry somehow due to a power surge (I think). Nintendo said that the NAND was corrupted as it was still under warranty. however, I lost all saves. I'm going legit with the switch, so I had no way to backup my saves. and, this is before I bought a subscription for online, cloud-saving. I pretty much lost everything then.

5. 130
    francesco2013

francesco2013 Developer

Development Operations Manager
    Home Page:
    While I agree with you on the research purposes I would underline the fact that maybe some people before spending 60$ or more for a game would like to verify if they like it. It would be nice if the people would be able to test them. What I mean is that PSN but also Steam for PC should allow users to download and play the game for free for let's say 30 minutes. After those 30 minutes the game is deactivated and if you want to keep on playing it you need to buy it. Until then I respect completely people hacking a PS4 and play games for free. It is not fault of the people it is the publishers fault. The excuse "I dont allow you to test the game because I am scared you can steal it" is both ridiculous and pathetic. This is just because they dont want to invest money in protecting their titles in a better way, only few developers are allowing some "free weekend" playing or such. The moral is: Write better software and help your customers spending their money for what they really like and enjoy. I personally many times have wasted money on PSN because I trusted some brain damaged youtubber and his stupid review. If I would have had the chance to try I would not have wasted my money. People dont fart money and of course they get angry when they trash them.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  6. 1,980
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    While i do have to agree on that, the trouble is game publishers don't make DEMOs anymore, only the old-schoolers will remember that, when you bought a magazine that contained a Demo Disc,so it gave you a chance to test the game to make your final verdict, but nowadays you have only a review and a pre-order, which of course is ridiculous, not to mention DEMOs behind a pay wall, which is unacceptable.

The problem is, if even someone quote "pirates" the game just to test it or to see of is worth the purchase, how many users do you think they will fork money for a title that they just tested, even if they got they're interest?

Regarding braindead reviews, i have to agree, the problem with reviews is that is based on a personal opinion, if the reviewer doesn't like the game, you may like it,and so forth makes this a never ending loophole fake reviews, personally I don't based my title to title preferences upon a [email protected] review from IGN "just giving a reference", usually the best reviews are the ones that are passed from mouth to mouth, in other words, non payed corporations, just causal reviewers whom review a game with dignity, and not to be limited or forced to say good or bad things, just a straight real review.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

francesco2013 likes this.
  7. 12,890
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I believe steam allows for you to demo a game, sorta. you had to have played it for like less than two hours and the purchase must be within the first two weeks of owning the game to get a refund. I think it's mostly to see if your computer can run the game. I didn't know this at the time, so I was out the money for dragon quest xi.

edit: I remembered right. here is a link to that: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6695-QIKM-7966 I think you simply not liking the game -- how are they gonna know that's the reason for the refund? ;)

8. 130
    francesco2013

francesco2013 Developer

Home Page:
    Hi Pinky :) Long time no speak !
    I can confirm you that Steam does not like this kind of behavior. This is from the page https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

ABUSE

Refunds are designed to remove the risk from purchasing titles on Steam—not as a way to get free games. If it appears to us that you are abusing refunds, we may stop offering them to you. We do not consider it abuse to request a refund on a title that was purchased just before a sale and then immediately rebuying that title for the sale price.

This basically means you cannot do it all the time you dont like a game. I remembered I have asked for 3 refunds in a month and they complained saying I was abusing the service and this is not a way to test games before buying them. They even told me that if I would have requested another refund within the same month it would have been refused.

pinky likes this.
  9. 12,890
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

hmm, I didn't see that part. I've never done it, but someone told me about a refund policy. if I had known about it, I would've gotten a refund for dragon quest xi. it says that you can even try to get a refund if you're past the grace period. however, a year or so is well passed, so I didn't even bother.

10. 130
    francesco2013

francesco2013 Developer

Home Page:
    P.S. I am thinking about picking up again my old project of the PS3 Games manager and rewrite it from scratch. I would like to make it faster, lighter and running on docker. No more VMs required for non linux users.

Maroon Storm and pinky like this.
  11. 12,890
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

not sure if I tried it. I don't use my ps3 very often anymore, but I did buy a new/used one, since my original was banned.

speaking of not liking games, I kinda wish there had been a demo on the switch for axiom verge. I don't really like that game. it's too confusing.

12. 162
    NoSoul81

NoSoul81 Member

Even if it never gets a hack after 5.05 (kinda doubt it but) it's gotten farther than Xbox One. There's been no way to play backups on Xbox One on any firmware ever. Both MS and Sony have obviously stepped up their game on security.

13. 4
    Goku1992A

Goku1992A Forum Noob

Just following up since it’s been a long time ... are you guys still holding out for the latest CFW or you bought a second hand console

14. 12,890
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I'm still on 5.05, yes.

15. 2,684
    Berion

Berion Developer

Personally I'm on latest OFW. There is no reason to hold it as many good games was released past 5.05. Maybe the only reason would be that if someone drop the exploit for newer firmware it will be for sure older fw than the newest at this moment (as it was always happening on PS4 scene...). But we don't really know if "something" will be ever released, so...

And looking what scene achieved till to now, it is disappointing from end user point of view (partial IDPS reading, EAP Key and fs rwx access to HDD + few homebrew written in... Unity game engine). ;p Even exploit "turning on" is annoying. I believe everything would be changed if exploit cover up current fw (not old one, when almost no one have it...), just like on i.e PSV (everyone have in those times 3.60 and everything was released for 3.60 to start hacking and fun).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Yugonibblit, DeViL303 and Goku1992A like this.
  16. 175
    remlei

remlei Member

its not dead, more like hiatus or rather no one bothered releasing it? their generic reason is "due to piracy" which is reasonable.

even yifanlu hacked the ps4's kernel gaining root access on it and he tweeted the "uname -a" of the kernel of ps4. of course many people pestering him to release it but he didnt and instead posted the link of FreeBSD's Github page and tell everyone to get your hacks there.

DeViL303 likes this.
  17. 7,685
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Full IDPS can be read only on very low firmware, or on newer firmware in FSM mode (at least until 3.5X). Is not like on PS3 when sony left it in LV2 just like that, and challenge was to search pattern in hex. :D

PS4 kernel don't have access to full IDPS on retail, is just reading non per console part of it to setup region/privileges/etc. Samu is what do all per console IDPS operations.

Anyway since Sony is now aware that scene have 7.00 keys including very sensitive ones (because it is obvious some people have them), maybe they will panic and change them. Maybe then we will see =<7.00 keys public with something better than kernel exploit. Maybe they will play it smart, and not change keys in next firmware. Who knows..

Yugonibblit, DeViL303 and Algol like this.
  18. 4
    Goku1992A

Goku1992A Forum Noob

Okay thanks for the update. Just my 2 cents in my opinion I don't think the PS4 is worth the trouble of remaining on 5.05 so much good games been released I respect ppl who wanna wait. I agree New Firmware is basically for piracy but honestly that's the point of having a modded unit. (in my opinion) I also think that ppl did bypass the firmware but hasn't released it to the public.

Anyways i'm just thinking out load.