PS3 Is there a PS3 utility to show CPU/GPU temps while in game?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Thomas Barnes, Sep 8, 2019.

1. 16
    Thomas Barnes

Thomas Barnes Forum Noob

Hi all:

I have a PS3 FAT model running OverFlow 4.85 CFW. I just recently applied some Artic Silver 5 thermal paste to the CPU and GPU. However, I would like to monitor my temps while in game. I can see the temps using webMan when I'm in the XMB screen, but I was wondering is there a utility I can use that will display the cpu/gpu temps while I'm in game? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And many thanks to the devs for the CFW and Homebrew software! :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 12:00 AM
  2. 1,494
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    You can use Webman, but as you already mentioned Webman, but if you want continue Temp monitoring, just press the PS Button to go to the XMB while In-Game, and long press START+SELECT until you hear a beep from your console, this will always show the temperature monitoring while In-Game, repeat the process to disable.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Thekiit, VTSTech, Tidjane Ly and 3 others like this.
  3. 1,123
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

With webMAN MOD, if you hold down Start+Select for a second or two you'll hear a beep. This will refresh the information box of wMM in-game every 4-5 seconds, so you can monitor temperature while playing the game.

VTSTech and Algol like this.
  4. 1,123
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

VTSTech likes this.
  5. 1,494
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Coldheart2236 likes this.
  6. 3,171
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

7. 16
    Thomas Barnes

Thomas Barnes Forum Noob

Thanks so much for the speedy replies!

OK Let me explain something? I'm using the webMan that comes preinstalled with OverFlow 4.85 CFW. I have tried holding down the Select and Start buttons to see the temps, and it works when I'm not in game, but when I try it in game, it wont display that temps message. I only get the game going into pause, when I try that in game.

I'm new to CFW and even console gaming, for that matter. I used to game on PC. So, let me say that I don't know what version of webMan is on my PS3, as it was installed when I installed OverFlow 4.85. My understanding is that webMan Mod is a separate software to just plain webMan. Correct me, if I wrong. So, I'm thinking maybe I need to install and try out webMan Mod. If I do, do I have to uninstall webMan from the PS3? Or could I be doing something wrong, since I don't see the cpu/gpu temps being displayed in game when I hold down Select and Start while I'm in game, using the plain webMan? Also, when I hold down the PS Button while in game, I just get a promt asking me if I want to quit the game. And if I select yes, I'm taken back to the XMB screen, and not in game anymore to see the temps while in game.

Help? :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 11:11 PM
  8. 1,123
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Press (not hold) the PS button while you're in-game to access the in-game XMB 'overlay' and then press Start+Select and you should get the information box in the top right. I forgot to mention that part for some reason lol. Anyway, hold Start+Select down a second or two until you hear a beep, and then when you press the PS button again and go back to the game the information will stay in the top right, and refresh every 4-5 seconds until you go back and do the same thing to disable it. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Thekiit, Thomas Barnes and Algol like this.
  9. 16
    Thomas Barnes

Thomas Barnes Forum Noob

OK, the temps message shows when I'm in game and press the PS Button and, then, the Select and Start buttons. But, even if I hold the Select and Start buttons down, there is no beep/s, when I do it on that PS Button screen, and the temps message doesn't stay up when I go back to in game play. Maybe, it's because I'm using a generic PS Controller by SnakeByte. However, It's good enough that I can get the temps message to display without having to close the game. That's good enough for me.

Thanks, ColdHeart, Naked Snake, and aldostools for the assistance. I'm a happy camper! :)

10. 308
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

hey @Naked_Snake1995 , what happened to Tom. And why your dog had become a commie? :cool2:

11. 1,494
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Commie dog is back, got to change that avatar sometime.

But i see you were a fan of Tom, so ill bring it back, i see the Commie doesn't work

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

snkplkn likes this.
  12. 16
    Thomas Barnes

Thomas Barnes Forum Noob

Update:

I installed webMAN MOD 1.47.25 and the CPU/GPU Temps display is working as you described, ColdHeart.

Update:

@Coldheart2236

I installed webMAN Mod 1.47.25, and now things are working as you described. The CPU/GPU temps display stays on the screen in game. I wish there was a smaller version of the display message though, like just the cpu/gpu and fan speed. Thanks for the help, Coldheart. :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    Coldheart2236 likes this.
  13. 308
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

@aldostools

It would be great if the CPU, GPU, Fan speed have a small notification window while in gameplay.

Thomas Barnes likes this.
  14. 11,550
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

or have it like the one on the 360. when you want to see temps, you just hold the guide button down like you're going to shutdown the system. it would be like showing that information in the impose plugin rco. however, I think how it works now may be better than that, since it doesn't interrupt gameplay. :)

15. 3,171
    aldostools

You can query the CPU/RSX temperature & fan speed at any moment using a smartphone/tablet/PC as secondary screen.

Or just pause the game, press PS button until XMB overlay is shown. Press SELECT+START and you will see the CPU/RSX info.
    If you hold SELECT+START for about 5-10 seconds you will hear beep and the message will keep showing persistently.
    Return to your game, and the popup will keep showing... Repeat the steps if you need to remove the persistent popup (you will hear 2 beeps and the popup will disappear in a few seconds).

Louis Garry, pinky and jcorrea like this.
  16. 783
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Member

Civil Engineer
    Home Page:
    Doing a sprx mod would be possible? like the one added in the ps2 impose screen

Louis Garry likes this.
  17. 16
    Thomas Barnes

Thomas Barnes Forum Noob

Hi aldostool:

I'm aware of this. What I'm trying to convey is that the overlay message has so many lines of info that it blocks one from seeing some parts of the (screen) game being played. And if it could someway be just 1 line of info on that overlay (only one line with the CPU/GPU temps and fan speed), it would make the overlay significantly smaller and not block so much of the screen. And that would be sweet! :) And the temps can be constantly monitored being on a small display overlay on the screen.

I have noticed that Luan's Teles PS3 4K Pro Mod makes the overlay (that pops up upon querying the CPU/RSX temperature & fan speed) transparent, so it's more bearable to game and not have some of the gaming view being blocked by CPU/GPU temps message.

It's kind of undesirable to look at another device while gaming or take your eyes off the screen while gaming. One needs to keep both hands on the controller while gaming to do the best playing in the game. Taking one's hand off the controller or eyes off the screen, while gaming, might result in death or some sort of a bad gaming experience.

I don't want to come off sounding unappreciative of your work. My thanks to you, aldostools, and Luan Teles, for your contributions to the PS3 scene. :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 8:10 PM
    Algol, snkplkn and LuanTeles like this.
  18. 308
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Yes, actually that's what i meant.

19. 3,171
    aldostools

The source code is available to make all the changes that you need (add or remove information or features).

The change is very simple and I encourage you to do it yourself for learning purposes...

https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/blob/master/include/combos.h#L404

Algol and Coldheart2236 like this.
  20. 16
    Thomas Barnes

Thomas Barnes Forum Noob

LOL I'm not a developer, aldostool. I know nothing about source codes. But at some time, I'll take a look at that link and see if doing the change is anywhere within my means. However, I hope you're not feeling mad because I pointed out there's a lot of lines in that temps query that's taking up valuable screen real estate. :) Peace, aldostool. :)