Is there an N64 emulator for the PS3?

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by fortunate_trail, May 27, 2015.

1. 54
    Anthonyy817

Anthonyy817 Member

I used to emulate it for years on PC, but just playing emulators on my consoles feels cooler honestly. I am primarily a PC gamer for my modern games, but I do still like playing on modern consoles and especially older modded ones.

Wouldn't Rene's Linux GPU driver possibly help to run a N64 emulator more feasibly? I mean, hardware acceleration could be a huge boost to performance with an emu on the PS3.

First people said it was the dynarec holding N64 emulation back, now not the correct OpenGL. Well what version does it require?

Th3-J0k3r likes this.
  2. 11,550
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

personally, I'd suggest just playing n64 on the wii u if you have one. I got 120 stars in super mario 64 on there. I had never beaten everything in the game before, even as a kid. however, my save was lost when I was experimenting with the hard drive.

3. 54
    Anthonyy817

Anthonyy817 Member

Unfortunately I do not have or plan on getting a Wii or WiiU. I got a PS3, Dreamcast, OG Xbox, 360 and Xboxone as well as a gaming PC. Already so little space for the stuff I have currently. I use the PS3 for all PSX and PS2 and 3 games to cut down on clutter. I have an ODE installed into my Dreamcast as well to help cut down on it as well.

But back to my question.

Didn't people get excited when Rene started working on his Linux GPU driver for PS3 so N64 emulation would become more feasible? Forgive me if I was mistaken but I thought it was a huge deal. Obviously this doesn't mean it will happen, just that more possible now that drivers are in the works for RSX chip right?

It was also mentioned needing a certain version of the OpenGL API. Well what version was that which would be required?

4. 5,665
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

The dynarec is the issue on the GameOS side whereas the OpenGL is an issue booting via OtherOS like Linux. They are both issues one is just an issue with loading via the PS3 XMB while the other is an issue with using the PS3 hardware and bypassing the GameOS altogether.

I think we have a much better chance doing it via Linux as the PS3 side needs a new dynarec written from scratch. Not really a one man job and not a lot of interest in this for most as we have things much easier to emulate on so devs can just put out apps without doing a ton of work.

Anthonyy817 likes this.
  5. 1
    tommyboi

tommyboi Forum Noob

we nee someone with no day job and has hours to spend on it pretty much to get n64 to work on ps3

6. 189
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

If n64 works on PSP and PSP works on PS3... then ..hmm

7. 11,550
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

psp works pretty badly on the ps3. it's like a 50% chance for the game to be playable and probably even less than that to finish the game with no problems.

8. 1,494
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Hold your Ocarina there lad, PSP only works on the PlayStation3, because its pretty much like PlayStation2 Classics, you are using an Emulator to run unsigned content,that was never designed to run it outside of $ony's PSP Minis environment.

The Only N64 Emulator that exists for the PlayStation Portable its Daedalus X64, which runs quite poorly given the limitations of the PSP Hardware, and running it under Emulation its 100 times worst, to make matters worse, Daedalusx64 has a system firmware detection, meaning you'll need a Real PlayStation Portable or PSVITA hardware to be able to run it, and a firmware requirement of 4.01-M33 or higher, something the emulator lacks, even with a specific ISO converted build.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk