PS3HEN Is there any way to downsize some ps3 games?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Niander466, Jun 6, 2019.

1. 304
    Niander466

Niander466 Member

Nurse
    Home Page:
    Is there any way to downsize some ps3 games?
    type some way to compress so oupar not so much space wanted to record some games on dvd dl

2. 2,823
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    The most basic thing to do, I do it to every game, is delete the FW update file in PS3_UPDATE folder. This will reduce the size by apporx 256MB.

As for others, some games you can delete the audio and/or subtitle files for unused lingos to leave only your native lingo on it, But some games you cannot do this I pressume because the game performs some type of integraty check on the files to make sure they are all there and/or not corrupted.

You can defo remove the FW update with no ill effects on the game.

Niander466 likes this.
  3. 116
    SpyroMancer

SpyroMancer Member

Back in the years of PS2, I was deleting the files that were languages other than English. I never had issues with that. You could try that I guess. Locate the languages and try. They usually are named like filename_en filename_gr etc

Niander466 likes this.
  4. 304
    Niander466

Niander466 Member

Nurse
    Home Page:
    Thank you very much!!

5. 5,842
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    You can remove files but make a relink to the missing files to ones that are on your game. Aldos has tools for this in ps3tools that do just this. It will ensure that even if ripped and it tries so call for that file or the binary requires it the game will still work. What this does if say you ripped Japanese Kanji and the game calls for the file it will them crash. But if you rip it and relink it to English then the requirements are met but will only show English instead. You can do this for videos that have multiple language files but no matter what you set it on it will only play to that relinked file. This is the proper way of doing this

Sdw100 and Niander466 like this.
  6. 304
    Niander466

Niander466 Member

Nurse
    Home Page:
    It worked!

atreyu187 likes this.
  7. 33
    TKBS

TKBS Forum Noob

This is something i will be trying very soon. InFact; Yesterday i live streamed a PS3 backup and discussed localization files, movie files, audio files and deleting, removing/ modifying.
    Fortunately for me the game title i chose should allow for some heavy customisation beyond regular PS3 titles, keep an eye on my posts and my YouTube Channel (found in my first post) to see progress.

So yes:
    - Localization files can be deleted
    - i assume video and audiofiles can be modified

Okay, so wheres the link? (please)

8. 1,402
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

See this post by @sandungas which explains the process on how you can use dummy files (fake .txt files with the extensions renamed) for games which perform checks for files. Very useful if you want to dramatically reduce the size of PS3 backups by ripping out files that you don't need. Hope this helps :)

sandungas likes this.
  9. 33
    TKBS

TKBS Forum Noob

Good Tip ColdHeart
    - I have alot more advice ont his situation but haven't even started.
    - These are untested assumptions but in theory should work;
    * Localization files are not needed at all, or can probably be faked with smaller files sizes
    * audio files i assume can be remastered and recompiled, or again; faked with smaller file sizes, the length audio runtime may cause issues I will add that BIK file
    * Bik files can be faked or remastered, users will require RAD tools; unusuer if runtime of videos will effectgame, never has in the past (PC)

- anything i can add i will

10. 5,977
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I can tell the files related with languages can be replaced by dummies, either audio files or subtitles, i made it with tenths of games and i had 100% success ratio
    *The subtitles are not worthy though... the whole subtitles of a game are not bigger than lets say... 20mb each language

The BIK files can be resampled completly, you can reduce the video quality of them, also BIK format supports audio for multilanguage (so you can remove the audio of other languages in the BIK file)
    But... this is a pita, i made it lot of times, but it takes lot of time and is not much worthy

11. 7,608
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I just want to remind that deleting files like languages can be bad idea sometime. For example some games copy files to internal harddrive (game data), and use them from there. As a example I deleted some files from one of F1 games, and it worked fine. Someday i was forced to delete game data (4.60 firmware when cobra was fixed), and my F1 games stopped working. Because game copied files "by filename" and there was no file on mounted disc because i deleted them. Not a big deal for me, i recreated backup from BD, and it was fine again.

But if you are planning to store games on DVD-DL is good idea to test them first with deleted game data, because there is a chance that some of them will not start, even if they previously worked.

STLcardsWS and atreyu187 like this.
  12. 5,977
    sandungas

Thats one of the reasons why is always better to replace them by 0kb dummies :)
    This way the gamedata installation is goiing to copy the dummies

*This applyes to all game files, not only languages. And is not only a prevention to avoid breaking the gamedata installation, there are many games that checks for he presence of some game files (but not the sizes or hashes of that files)

13. 208
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

How can we tell if the game really checks or installs those language files ? Is it specific to a game dev such as Sony ?

14. 7,608
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I disagree here little bit :) Try to 0kb replace file that is copied by GTA5 to gamedata ;) No way that game launch. But for language files, maybe some movies, that is good workaround.

15. 12,159
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

yeah, just use ps3tools. it will delete the update folder by default, then you can select what else to delete. personally, I'd just use it for removing updates. with anything else, it's recommended you back up the files to the pc before transferring them over to the ps3. to me, it's a massive headache to remove additional files when a game may or may not crash at some point, so the whole game would be like one giant test.

16. 5,977
    sandungas

I have not tryed with that game
    But if the gamedata installation is completed normally we can consider the trick of replacing that file by a dummy (to cheat the gamedata installer) works :D
    The point is... it could happen that the gamedata installer doesnt realizes that the file a dummy, i ripped a few games like this so i know it works in general (in other words, the gamedata installer doesnt realizes i replaced the file)
    Sure, there could be some game where the gamedata installer does some file size/hash checks to the files that are going to be installed, but is not usual

After that, and based in what you said... the game doesnt boots but seems to be because that file is critical... but this is another different problem

An exception to that, as mentioned in other thread some days ago, there are some games where the gamedata installation is not simply a copypaste of files from game backup (either JB or ISO) ---> to gamedata instalaltion path
    Some games seems to do some kind of extraction or decryption of the files... this games generates files in the gamedata installation path that are different than the originals in the game backup (JB or ISO)
    This is very unusual though

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  17. 208
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

I had trouble copying games with 0kb dummies , i use Irisman , So i deleted them all . Fingers crossed .

18. 152
    Omage

Omage Member

Pam movie
    You can resize it, but not easy
    Or replace small fake pam

19. 3,241
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

PS3RIP.exe does the ripping process automatically... it rips PS3_UPDATE, create the dummy files for the files selected in the pattern file and move the replaced file to another folder to allow restore it in case the rip don't work.

Almost all my games are ripped to ENGLISH+SPANISH and they work without issues. Other language combinations can be selected.

TIP: In almost all U/E games, english should not be deleted.

TIP2: Some games like Uncharted can be ripped more if PSARC files are unpacked

TIp3: Some movies should be replaced with dummy movies (1 frame) not dummy files (0 bytes).

20. 208
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

I was just wondering how can we tell if the game is checking for files integrity .

I have found a file called PS3TOC.TXT in some games such as Batman Arkham Origins , Dishonored , Enslaved Odyssey to the West , Borderlands the Pre-sequel , Bioshock Infinite , Injustice , Mortal Kombat , Thief .. could this be it ?

I also found a file called disc_check in Blur .

Or is it something in the EBOOT that is checking ?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019