Is this controller genuine?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by DigitalDrive, Jun 14, 2019.

1. 29
    DigitalDrive

DigitalDrive Forum Noob

This came with the second-hand PS3 I bought.
    I think it's original because I remember these controllers being a disaster on the first days of PS3.
    However my PS3 is Slim though.
    The box he gave me was an NTSC-J version of the box, but the console itself is PAL.
    wut
    Here's the picture of the controller:
    [​IMG]
    Any chance this is a replica?

2. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

pic isn't displaying properly.

one of faster and easiest ways to check for yourself is to install scp toolkit on a windows machine and plug it in,it will say if it's genuine.not 100 percent reliable though for that you need to open it up and see the pcb but for quick check when buying it's viable option.

3. 29
    DigitalDrive

DigitalDrive Forum Noob

It detects it and appears as "PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller".

And the reason I showed this photo is because it doesn't include the text "DUALSHOCK 3" on it.
    And it's very light, there's no motors inside.

4. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

that's probably genuine sixaxis that was launched as controller for launch models ps3's,as sony was in law suit regarding 'shock' branding and vibration features that was resolved later and thus dualshock3 was released.nobody copied the Sixaxis that i'm aware of as it always was regarded as inferior controller in public eyes.

more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixaxis

i actually know people that prefer that controller over the regular ds3 because they don't care about vibration and prefer less weight in controller.other than weight and lack of vibration there's no real differences between the two and it will work as ds3 should.

5. 135
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Show the backside of controller. It will give some hint. Best way to check controller is to open it and see its PCB. early sixaxis controllers were without motors, so they are light and even easier to open up.

6. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

it's a Sixaxis,there's no real need to open it up an risk stripping the holes for screws.like i've said,no one would be copying cheaper controller that's also generally less desirable for majority of people.

7. 1,901
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    If SCP Toolkit detects this as an official controller then no need to open it up as this tool kit is for using genuine DS3 and DS4 controllers either by BT or wired connection on PC. Even Windows 10 will dectect it as an offical PlayStation 3 controller without this toolkit.

If it's not genuine then both the toolkit and Windows 10 will say so. The tool kit will say its not genuine while Win10 will not dispaly it as a PlayStation 3 controller in the list of connected USB devices in control panel.

EDIT: You can still use SCP Toolkit to use 3rd party PlayStation controllers on PC, though it should know and be able to tell the difference between a 3rd party and a genuine PlayStation controller.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  8. 135
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

I have a fake sixaxis controller. Its very old. I found the details of original sixaxis and specially its back sticker on youtube. So discovered that mine was fake. Also i figured it out by clumsy joysticks (specially L3 & R3 buttons). They were not as good as original ones.

Don't know about SCP tools. I once downloaded those i think but didn't work well on windows xp. But installing something called libusb-win32 makes the fake controller work on windows xp and device manager shows it as PlayStation 3 controller.

9. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

that's first one i've even heard about and i'm in eastern europe so we're flooded with fake controllers.idk about XP,haven't used it in about 10 years,on 7,8 and 10 scp toolkit was and is still working without issues for me,as i still prefer DS3 even as pc controller.

10. 1,901
    Cypher_CG89

SCP Tool kit won't work on WinXP, Vista is the oldest OS you can use it with, plus there is a few other requirements for it.

SCP Toolkit download via Sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/scptoolkit.mirror/

11. 185
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

After all I still have the controllers' problems although they're different from the ones I had (except the one I had in a fake DualShock 3). I'm on Rebug 4.84.2 now.

12. 702
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    I like the old SCP Toolkit better then the new one, they have been tryharding way to much
    I uninstalled and downloaded the old one that I used before from 2016

13. 135
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Types of fake controllers

1. Really cheap ones - These are the worse quality. Their battery will be dead / or have no battery. They won't work wirelessly. You have to use USB cable to use them. Buttons will be cheap knockoff and joypads will be erratic and dysfuctional. They may also have recognition issue.

2. Better ones - They will work wirelessly and will be fully recognizable with PS3. Though their battery power will be weak and you have to recharge them often. Joypads will be a little better but still not good as original DS3. You will have problems with games using R3 and L3.

Its not just DS3. This type of fakes are similar in all consoles. You have bad fakes and good fakes. I personally would recommend buying used original ones rather than buying fakes or those new DS3 which promises to be genuine but are fake anyway.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  14. 172
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Easiest way I've found to tell if they are genuine or not without dismantling the whole thing would be testing the pressure sensitivity of the buttons. If the D-pad, shoulder buttons, and X / O's aren't pressure sensitive, you have a knock off.

I'd also advise staying away from just about all 3rd party controller's. Though it just may be limited to my luck, I've gone through buckets of them trying to save money. Better to just go to an actual store and see if you can find a brand new ds3 still in the official box. They're pricey but ultimately a necessity if you want a good experience lol.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  15. 1,901
    Cypher_CG89

Or buy third party controllers from a decent company such as GioTek if you cannot find and oringal one. Some of the GioTek PS3 controllers are quite good, I bought one for playing FPS and racing games like COD and NFS and it was better than the DS3> better analog control and more resistance, better pressure sensitivitly, no input lag as it used 2.4 GHz wireless tech, the triggers had better resistance for ultimate and presisce throttle control on racing games. No need for a seperate adpater to be able to use it wirelessly as it used the PS3's BT and the battery lasted double the length of time to a DS3, could turn the console on with it. Did everything a DS3 did but better.

I have used many 3rd party controllers and alot of them were crap and not worth the money but this one GioTek was absolutaly awseome.

16. 185
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Maybe I should buy those ones to see if it's my PS3's problem or the controller's.

17. 172
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I had the Giotech SC-1 (I think it was called)

The R1 shoulder button eventually stopped working completely after about 2 years.. Wasn't a big fan of the right analogue stick either, it was way too sensitive, very difficult to aim accurately in third person shooters.

18. 185
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Since I can't find a true DualShock 3 controller which one should I buy? What about this one (it also works with the PS2, which I have)? It's small, though.

19. 1,901
    Cypher_CG89

The orange, black, grey controller? I had one of them, you can set the analog sesitivity with them as well as the pressure sensitivity. I wasn't a fan of that controller. SC stands for Sports Controller, it was designed for sports games.

This is the beast I have: GioTech GC-2

Still costs about £30. I paid £45 for mine in 2015. This one was designed by gamers for gamers. I cannot rember which gaming dev company helped design this.

[​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gioteck-GC2-Wireless-Control-Pad/dp/B00B15EXHO/ref=sr_1_8?crid=N4ZLZN8XAMGZ&keywords=gioteck+ps3+wireless+controller&qid=1560562540&s=gateway&sprefix=gioteck+ps3,aps,196&sr=8-8

Its a shame you don't live in the UK, I was in CEX (Central Entertainment Xchange) on Thursday and they had 8 DS3 controllers for £25 each. And they have hundreds of shops all over the UK. They have a website but don't ship outside the UK.

I would say try the Gioteck I have shown above, if you dont like it then you can just send it back for a refund from amazon if you have amazon where you live. Just tell them it dont work properly and they will refund the money for you.

EDIT: Also this controller doesn't need a seperate BT adapter to work. It syncs the PS3 the same way a DS3 does> just connect the USB charger cable to the PS3 and press the home button and it will sync, no faff on needed.

Windows10User likes this.
  20. 172
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Yeah I had the sports one. Looked exactly like that basically but the bottom was red / orange. I didn't know it was possible to change the stick sensitivity, I just remember it had a few functional buttons on it that I could never really figure out how to use. It'd be too late to go back and try repairing it anyways, I ended up tossing it after concluding that I couldn't fix the shoulder button lol. Probably would've been a pretty easy repair looking back and thinking about it, the button would stick and usually not register when I'd press it. Took it apart and gave it a half hearted attempt and figured screw it lol. I gotta say though, that was the better of the 3rd party controllers I've experienced lol. It lasted 2 years, but it also cost me like $60USD.