Is this controller genuine?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by DigitalDrive, Jun 14, 2019.

1. 2,219
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    This one?
    [​IMG]

This one needed a dongle to work. The GC-2 is 2.4Ghz BT. No dongle needed. Just syncs like a DS3 with the USB charger cable.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  2. 222
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Yup that's the one! I had the dongle for it, still have it lol, just don't have the controller no more. I ended up using it mostly for PC, it was nice having a cordless controller as it worked plug and play with the dongle if I remember right. Didn't need any special programs / ds3 tool. None of my computers have bluetooth lol, I'm cheap.

3. 190
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Well, right know the priority is if it works (and for some time, at least), not if its precision isn't perfect in some games (although I might have that problem later). What's weird about that controller is that the left analog isn't next to the right one. Speaking of BT, do you think my controllers have problems because of it? Also, do you know of a controller which supports motion sensing and vibration (although I'm not interested on the latter) besides the real DualShock 3? It looks like there are games which can only be played by controllers which support the first (maybe PS Move can play them but I don't have it too) so if they don't I wouldn't be able to play them.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  4. 222
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

In terms of BT I doubt you're controllers would be having problems with it unless they were knock offs. I can't think of any 3rd party controllers that support motion / sixaxis off the top of my head, but most do have vibration. I too am not a huge fan of the xbox style stick layout, but you get used to it. Only reason I snagged the Giotech one was because the place I went to didn't have any other controllers lol. Lived in a rural area at the time so my options were limited. If you need help finding a used legit dualshock 3 with sixaxis, I can probably dig up a few ebay links for you.

5. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

What do you see on ebay in your area? Some places have PS3 & accessories sold at bargain basement prices. If you know what to pick up, you can easily find DS3 originals. And originals are built rock solid. It doesn't matter even if its many years old, it will be by far better than any fake ones.

In India, i was once getting offer for $130 PS3 Slim 320 GB (4yrs old excellent condition) + Original DS3 + Move controller and camera + 10 Original BD Games + all cables and accessories + All original boxes. Console had warranty seal intact with no issues. Console was on OFW. Not jailbroken.

DS3 + Move controller and camera all original for $20 in excellent condition.

You can find great deals in used products if you have the eye and knowledge to get it.

6. 190
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Yes, they're knock offs. Thanks, but how can I know if they're legit? If you want to know more about the controller's problems I'm having you can go here. Even if non-true DualShock 3 (and I'm not necessarily talking about the fake DualShock 3 ones) don't have the problems I'm having with both fake DualShock 3 and the wired Thrustmaster controller which also works with the PS2 they may only work for some years according to what I've heard here. Also, I wanted a wireless controller which also worked with the PS2 since I have a PS2. What about this wireless PS2-only controller? Are there official wireless PS2 controllers?

I've searched there as well as on Amazon but according to the comments they're fakes. They're sold out for years in my countries' stores and they're expensive (€50). I've only ordered stuff from national stores when buying from the internet so I don't know if buying abroad is trustworthy.

7. 2,219
    Cypher_CG89

Oh its presise alright and lasts I've had mine 4 years. The stick layout is optimised for FPS games although the only thing I dislike about the DS3 is that your thumbs sometimes bash together, the offset sticks solves this. Its more like a 360 controller for PS3 but is better than the xbox controller. And it works fine on the PS3, I've never had any isuse's with it. I just set all the stick and button sesitivities to the way I like them.

In my opinion is well worth the money for this controller, Its a bit bigger than a DS3 but fits in your hand a lot better.

Windows10User likes this.
  8. 222
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I'm not sure if there are official wireless ps2 controllers, I think there may be though. PS I have a wireless thrustmaster controller that I use occasionally, it works fine on the ps3 it's just a bit small and I have big hands. But yeah I've had it for about 2 years now myself and it still works, the sticks get weird sometimes though and I have to power off the controller and rotate the sticks to get it back to normal. But it works :indecisiveness:

The controller problems you mentioned in that thread are very weird indeed, however I've never experienced anything like that myself. Plus I've never used CFW. If the thrustmaster had the same problem on the ps2 after maybe it is just the controller? Otherwise very strange.

9. 190
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Well, maybe it's just a question of getting used to where the left analog and the D-pad are. It should fit better than that small wireless Thrustmaster that also works on the PS2 that I showed you before. But I also wanted a wireless controller to work for both the PS3 and the PS2. Do you know one?

That's probably the small wireless Thrustmaster I showed before. Yes, it's strange, and except the wired Thrustmaster's Start button having to be pressed a little harder to work I only had these problems after installing CFW and even after formatting the console and before installing CFW again I had them again. What's also weird is that the problems change and sometimes I don't have one of them or only (at least apparently) have them on some games (I also had the Thrustmaster's Square button problem on PS2 buttons and when I don't have it on the PS3 I also don't have it on the PS2). These fake DualShock 3 controllers don't have a reset button like the true ones, right? Anyway, this is very frustrating since I installed CFW for the first time on August and shortly after I got all these controller's problems (as well as other ones). And what about Sixaxis, where can I find them or they aren't worth it? Also, if only true DualShock 3 (and maybe Sixaxis) support motion sensing how will I be able to play games that require it?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  10. 222
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

You should try testing the thrustmaster on a computer and see if you can replicate the same problems. Does the one you have allow you to remap the buttons? Maybe something is going wrong with that controllers function, and maybe it could be tied to installing CFW, I honestly have no clue though lmao so take that with a grain of salt.

It might be harder to find one of the old school Sixaxis ones, the DS3 ones are much more abundant. I never played too many games that made use of the sixaxis function apart from GTA IV and even with that you like barely ever used it from what I remember. A true genuine Dualshock 3 is worth it though.... They last and work great, I'd still have the one that came with my Ps3 when I bought it new however I spilled something on it one night without realizing and left it to soak, and that was all she wrote lol.

11. 1,079
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

other than some adaper solutions for DS3/Sixaxis there isn't a way to have one wireless controller for both ps2 and ps3.

only wireless controller for the ps2 that's any good is Logitech wirelles action and it's licenced so it's semi official.there are cheap wireless DS copys from china but i haven't had one personally and i did read mixed reviews...

if you're that set on having one controller for both ps2 and ps3 research adapers and get ds3/sixaxis.you can be pretty sure if it's genuine with SCP Toolkit.if you don't have portable win 7 and up machine just borrow one and check the controller when you pick it up.

12. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

I think i did not put my point well. Let me try again. Actually i didn't mean ebay or online international sellers. So how to buy good genuine products?

First of all you have to look for used accessories only. And where to look? Not actually on Amazon. In India we have something called OLX portal. Its a website for purchasing old products and merchandise. OLX is just a medium for buyers and sellers to make contact. It doesn't participate in any transactions or products in anyway. So here is what i do. I find used products Ads in my locality/neighborhood. I call the seller whose phone number is given on OLX website. I fix a time for meeting and inspect the product. If i am satisfied, i give him money on the spot and take the product.

How to hunt for good collectibles & genuine old products? Buying directly from consumers instead of some Dealer or retailer. Since you can bypass the traders and merchants by making contact with direct sellers/consumers, you have much better chance of buying a decent used product. But of course you MUST have knowledge to inspect and verify the quality and condition of stuff you are buying. You will be amazed to see how much good collectibles are out there.

So do you have some kind of website which deals in old merchandise? The stuff which you can inspect before buying in your neighborhood. Try this thing.

13. 190
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

I tested the Thrustmaster on the PC and I didn't have any problem.

What about this one?

Yes, I know OLX, although I've never bought something from there. Well, I don't know if it's trustworthy and regardless of that these controllers were working for some months (I think) and they started to have problems so I don't know if the consumers are willing to wait and if I can find real used DualShock 3 and if they're used they may have problems or may start to have them after a while.

14. 222
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Second that. In the states and some other countries we got access to craigslist, I've snagged all sorts of gear ranging from video games to musical instruments on there. There's always ps3's available, though as of recently most of the ones I've seen listed in my area come with 3rd party controllers lmao. One of these days the controller is going to be worth more than the damn system lol.

15. 2,219
    Cypher_CG89

SCP Toolkit works on Windows Vista and above.

16. 190
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Do you think these controllers' problems may be caused by the PS3's USB port? Is this the official USB HUB for PS3? It's expensive. Could you answer my thread?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  17. 222
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I honestly do not know, I would doubt it's a problem with the USB ports unless you're also having problems with USB Flash Drives / External HDD's. That USB hub looks official enough to me, based on the reviews I'd be comfortable dropping the dime since it's pretty cheap. Do you by any chance have access to another ps3 you could test your controllers on? If they work fine on a computer and alternatively another system, and before you installed CFW.. Something very out of the ordinary must have happened when installing the firmware.

18. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Anybody familiar with original DS controllers knows that they last forever. I have had DS1 and DS2 and understand this fact quite well. I bought used Fat model with 3 controllers (2 DS3 original and one fake sixaxis) with all cables and 3 BD games (console was not jailbroken and in good condition). I paid total $70 for everything. Everything is working fine. The DS3 controllers are 10 years old!! And still work absolutely fine. I disassembled both DS3 and verified that they were originals. Sixaxis i got was a fake and i knew it before buying. Even still, its working fine with PS3 though joypads are bit clumsy. Actually i bought that fat model because i was impressed to see 2 original DS3 with it. I can also use them on PC.

Used DS3 will not have any problems. Of course it shouldn't have any physical damage or spilled liquid on it. Other than that, you don't have to worry about anything.

19. 190
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

I found other USB HUB for PS3 which is cheaper but according to reviews it started to malfunction after some time (the same goes for internal HDDs for the PS3 so I'm afraid to buy one). No, I only have this PS3, unfortunately. I'm not having problems with the external HDD but it is conneced to the right USB port, not the left which I jse to connect the controllers.

That's not true since I had one and after some years (a lot, I don't remember how many, though) it stopped working. I pressed the reset button backwards and it worked for some time until it stopped working for good. And how can I know the used DualShock 3 are real before buying them?

20. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Stopped working? You mean it was just dead. That's surprising. The common problem with aging DS3 is loosening of connecting band (the one which connects plastic circuit with main PCB) which can be easily fixed. There is a small cushion which keeps the band in firm position with PCB. As controller ages, the cushion (tiny polyrubber piece) gets loosened. The easiest fix is just rolling a piece of tape and stick it with cushion. A simple reassembling is all it needs.

The symptoms of loosening band is usually missing button presses or just pressing of random buttons. Hard reset doesn't fix this problem.

How to know controller is genuine? Anybody who has used PS3 long enough and played on real DS3 can figure out whether controller is genuine or not, even just by feeling it. Fake ones have low quality plastic, erratic feeling on joystick (specially L3 and R3) and shoulder buttons. hard to miss. And it takes just few minutes to open 5 screws to open back side and see the PCB which confirms it 100%. Also most fake ones can also be recognized by their flimsy back stickers.

Infiltraitor likes this.