Is this controller genuine?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by DigitalDrive, Jun 14, 2019.

1. 191
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Yes, it was dead. Ok, but like I said on another thread I'm afraid to screw things even more so I don't have the courage to disassemble them although I'll have to do it if I want to swap the internal HDD, although it looks like it's easier comparing to opening the console to clean the dust and apply the thermal paste to fix the noise problem (and probably to prevent the console from shutting of in the near future).Then my controlleds may have that loosening band issue. Ok, but the question is to know which ones are real before buying them.

2. 225
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Before buying? If buying online, there's usually not an entire lot to go by besides pictures provided. That's why it's so easy to get a knock off. I think a good quality picture of the sticker on the back of the controller, as well as pictures of the controller powered on with the red light lit up showing the Dualshock 3 / Sixaxis logo would be the best indicator if it's genuine. If it's just a stock picture and listed as used, likely a cheap ds3 copy.

If it's in a blue box and supposedly "new" it's a counterfeit DS3 100% (more elaborate fake copy controller, using the Sony logo etc. Instead of just "P3" usually the same crappy hardware on the inside.)

It shouldn't be too hard finding a legit used Dualshock 3 on amazon or ebay, just check the pictures and most importantly the picture of the sticker on the back! If buying on ebay, send the seller a message beforehand requesting a photo of the sticker on the back of the controller if they didn't provide one (they usually do.)

3. 174
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

They show images of original DS3 but ship fake ones to buyers. So images don't guarantee that products are original. Of course if images show fake ones, then the seller is selling fakes 100%. But if seller is showing pictures of original DS3, chances are that it could STILL be fake. Problem with buying NEW DS3 is not just too many fakes in market, but the fact that Sony stopped production. So only original ones in the market are ones that were built before production ended. So hard to grab those original ones because its limited stock.

Some users still got original ones from ebay from some sellers. But its like roll of dice.

Windows10User likes this.
  4. 225
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Well in that case you open up a dispute not receiving the item pictured (sticker will indicate this, especially if you message the seller for the picture but still receive something different, bam thats your proof lol) and paypal / ebay reimburses you pretty quick from my experience.

If there's something like a Best Buy in one's region, that's pretty much the only place I can think of where you have a chance of finding a brand new legit dualshock 3 in the official box. I'd avoid Gamestop, they carry fakes too because people go there and exchange them and most of the employees don't really care because they learn to hate their jobs lmao!

5. 348
    Md Hesam

Md Hesam Member

Home Page:
    I have a genuine controller ds3
    how to detect a genuine controller ds3
    genuine controller ds3 doesn't work with regular charger
    so,an original controller ds3 only charge work with ps3

6. 191
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

It looks like the wired Thrustmaster has another problem although I don't know if it was built like this. If I slightly move the left analog stick the character moves more than if I do the same thing with the fake (and I suppose with the true) DualShock 3 and so it's hard to play.

7. 225
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Probably just the way it was built. I have the wireless one and the sticks on that do strange things as well, but I feel the sticks are far more responsive and accurate compared to the cheap "P3" controllers where the sticks have a deadzone for about 1/4 turn or so and not a full range of motion.

8. 191
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

So, if I want a wireless controller for both the PS2 and the PS3 should I go with the wireless Thrustmaster? And what about this one (which only works with the PS2)? And which (wireless) controller should I choose that only works with the PS3?

9. 225
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I'm not sure if the wireless Thrustmaster works on ps2, if we're talking about the small one with the USB dongle. That one only works on PS3 and computers as far as I know.

The other 3rd party wireless ps2 controller looks good enough lol. I didn't have much experience with 3rd party ps2 controllers apart from the MadCatz ones (they sucked). Always had a few dualshock 2's to my disposal since I went through numerous faulty ps2's way back then lmao..

10. 191
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Supposedly, it does.

11. 225
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I've no experience with that one. It's a bit nicer than the one I have for ps3 / pc lol.
    [​IMG]

12. 162
    SteveGW

SteveGW Member

13. 225
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Didn't know they counterfeited the boxes too lmao. I just knew for a fact the ones in the blue box are all fakes. That one probably would've had me fooled. I guess apart from going the used controller route on ebay, settling for a controller that has a lot of cosmetic ware, seems like a game of russian roulette but with more than 1 bullet in the chamber trying to come across a new genuine controller online lol.

14. 194
    Vishera

Vishera Member

I got 3 original controllers from a local electronics pawn shop for free :D
    1 Sixaxis and 2 Dualshock 3.

15. 1,084
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

i was pretty lucky with local ads.never payed more than 15e for original DS3 nad i'm able to find them in day or two when i need them,recently i started to look into ps2's and first thing i found is logitech wireless precision for 10e (in almost mint condition with receiver) even before i got the system,memory card,etc...and i'm in eastern europe,sure,playstations are very popular here but it isn't too big of an market...

16. 191
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Is there a USB HUB for PS2 or can I use the PS3 one?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  17. 1,084
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

if i remember correctly only with homebrew.

18. 162
    SteveGW

SteveGW Member

you'll find that mostly on Ebay the fakes are cheap and that the legit ones even used are getting expensive.

19. 191
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

And between this controller and the wireless Logitech one for the PS2 you mentioned stating it was almost official which one should I choose? Also, since I want to have a wireless controller that works for both the PS2 and the PS3 what do you think about this one? Maybe I should have 3 controllers (total) for the PS2 and the PS3 with two of them being wireless and working for both (like the wireless Thrustmaster I talked about) in case one of them stops working and so I can still play both consoles. I wanted all of 3 to be wireless. Maybe the third one could be the wireless DualShock 2 (and not a third wireless Thrustmaster since I want to have the feeling of grabbing a DualShock 2 and I suppose I have the same sensation when comparing to grabbing a wired one. Regarding DualShock 3, it looks like I don't have a choice since the fake ones always have problems) that only works with the PS2.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  20. 1,084
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

i personally wouldn't touch both of those controllers even with a stick.like i've said,one controller that would work wirelessly on both ps2 and ps3 doesn't exist,or it's pretty obscure.there is a way to get ds3/sixaxis working wirelessly on ps2 but only in homebrew if i understand correctly,and you need bluetooth dongle.

i don't understand why would you want 3 controllers and why you complain on not having the money then considering two controllers that are more expensive than almost mint condition true ds3 secondhand...just get a genuine ds3 in decent condition and be patient until wireless precision pops up locally.