Is this controller genuine?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by DigitalDrive, Jun 14, 2019.

1. 2,224
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Not really, the last one I bought brand new for £50 was in a blue box and is NOT fake, not sure if I still have the box. I'll have a look and post a pic if I find it. You can always tell fakes by the colours used, the font used, if it lines up correctly thoses sorts of things.

But you would be really lucky to find one brand new now as they arn't made anymore, but I bet theres a few collectors out there that do still have these all boxed up hoarding them lol.

2. 98
    remlei

remlei Member

knockoff ps3 controllers are really horrible, just the weight alone is already a giveaway that a controller is fake or not.

this is why if I buy a second hand ps3 controller, I always say to the seller that can I open it before buying it (meetup buying) I dont need to disassemble it fully since once you open it there are obvious signs which is fake or not, of course the fake one uses a naked lipo battery with a single sided traced brown board, while the original one is the battery in cased with the board have obvious dark green dual sided traced board with toshiba chips visible.

I even buy PS3 controller that is broken (eg buttons not responding or broken shoulder buttons or the common broken analog sticks or dead battery) since I can easily buy a spare parts on it and make it work again.

fake ps3 controllers were easy to break, the one that broke first is the battery, second the wireless part of the controller and if you drop it, theres a high chance that the controller just no longer works because the main chip they used to is just glued on a black blob which can easily break by a single/several drop.

snkplkn likes this.
  3. 162
    SteveGW

SteveGW Member

Nice, could you get me some for free too? :adoration:

4. 190
    Vishera

Vishera Member

The reason they gave me them was because they had too much of them and not enough demand so they didn't mind to give me some for free,
    But recently their stock got to normal numbers so they can't give me more for free,
    They gave me a 4th one but they soon regretted it so they asked me to give the 4th one back,
    I didn't need that anyway :P

5. 173
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

In US and Europe, finding used original controllers is not difficult. You can track used products on many kind of old merchandise websites. I use OLX in my country. Best advantage of these websites is that you can arrange a meet and inspect product before buying. And if you have knowledge of product, you can definitely find what you are looking for.

So find a seller within 5-10 miles of your home or place of work. Call the seller and fix a suitable time for meet. Give him your offer price beforehand. Remember that there is tons of used stuff out there and you don't have to pay much on it. So make your bid as low as possible. Many sellers don't have the need for their products and you can get these goods at bargain basement prices. Meet the seller and verify the product. If you are buying electronics, make sure you properly test it if its in working condition. If you are satisfied, pay the seller.

What kind of sellers to look for? Look for people who are first hand users of products. The original consumers. Forget about any dealers or pawn shops. Look for average people, preferably in your own locality and town. Someone who is upgrading their consoles (like going from PS3 to Xbox One). Someone who don't need their stuff anymore.

6. 191
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

So, should I get the wireless Logitech that only works on the PS2? But I can't find a genuine DualShock 3 and I'd want it to be original, not secondhand (and the latter might be more likely to have problems), and what do you mean with waiting until wireless precision pops up locally?

7. 190
    Vishera

Vishera Member

All the second hand original controllers i got from the pawn shop are working perfectly,
    The Dualshock 3 controllers are pretty durable and can last forever (just change the battery when it dies)
    Also the problem with second hand controllers is that...they are always covered with dry sweat of a stranger...
    But you can clean it :D

8. 191
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

It looks like the Logitech Cordless Action controller for the PS2 isn't available on national stores on my country too.

9. 10,777
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

personally, I find the nyko airflo to be much better than the logitech controller. it doesn't take much to interfere with a logitech's wireless communication. the nyko airflow never seems to have a problem with that. the only downside is that it's a bit bulky due to it having a built in fan.

10. 191
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

It looks like it isn't available on national stores too. Is it only for the PS2?

11. 89
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

Hi, I would like to share how I pick the right controller for me. Specifically a genuine DS3.

You do need a genuine DS3 for comparison. For SIXAXIS only, I have no idea.

-One of the things I will be checking is the weight of the DS3. If it feels lighter than it should, it's probably a fake.

-Second, feel the plastic. If if fells like a toy probably its a fake. This you need to check though, when getting a Black controller, I found out it shows a little bit of glitter when a direct light hits the device.

-Third and maybe the most helpful one. You need to feel the L and R joysticks. PS3 controllers have smooth control on the sticks and it feels soft when you steer it. If you have a Genuine PS2 controller around, try rolling the sticks it feels stiffer vs on the PS3. If your PS3 controllers sticks feels like the same on a PS2 which is stiff, probably is a knock-off.

snkplkn likes this.
  12. 191
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Unfortunately, I no longer have the genuine DualShock 3.

13. 1,080
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

scp toolkit method is fine really.

14. 191
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

To see if a controller is fake? But in that case I'd only know after buying the controllers.

15. 1,080
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

if the seller won't let you check it then don't buy it anyway.if you still insist on buying new (although ds3 was discontinued in years) buy online and pay more but have insurance (multiple ones) for getting your money back if the item isn't as described.and if the seller is selling it like original and if you plug it in and it doesn't say it's genuine,i'm pretty sure all of the reputable selling sites will get you yur money back in minutes.

16. 164
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

I use an Android Phone with OTG support , an OTG adapter , a cable and a little software called Game Controller Keymapper , basic version can tell you what controller you plugged in ( it's genuine if it says Sony it's not if it says Shenzen something :D )

Also has a Pro version which i think remaps ingame touch controls to gamepad ? ( i need confirmation on that )

Attached Files:

Infiltraitor and Md Hesam like this.
  17. 191
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

So, it looks like it might be caused by the PS3 like I suspected since I borrowed my two fake DualShock 3 and the Thrustmaster to a friend of mine and except the Start button and the Left Analog problems on the latter (which I don't remember if I had before installing CFW for the first time and maybe the second "problem" is not a problem because the controller might be built like that) he didn't have any issues on his PS3 and he lent me his genuine DualShock 3 (which had no problems on his PS3) and it has similar problems on my PS3 as my two fake ones. He also has the same Rebug version if that matters and I only had the fake DualShock 3 problems shortly after installing CFW for the first time (even after formatting the console and before installing CFW for the second time I still had the problems and I even had the Thrustmaster ones on the PS2, which is even weirder). Could they be caused by the USB port/BT module? So, I wasted money on two controllers (I already had the Thrustmaster and the genuine DualShock 3 stopped working for good) for nothing (the fake DualShock 3 ones) and I suppose if I buy a fourth one I'll also have problems, even if not immediatelly, perhaps.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  18. 89
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

Fake controllers does have issues after a while of use. Although I have not experienced any major issues using it on my PS3, just annoying controls on the sticks. Not good for COD games.

I would also like to add, since @arcadekidflo showed a great way to test the controller. Mostly Fake DS3s like this 1 controller that I have does not have an L3 and R3 function. If it does not register on the app it must be fake. The surest way to have genuine controller is to do meet-ups so you can examine the controller. Buying online does have its risks.

If you plan to buy your 4th one, do meet-up to be sure. Original DS3s are always the best controller for me.

edit: By the way sometimes fake controllers has bad BT on it. I'm not sure if it works on waking the PS3 to cold boot.

19. 2,224
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    For people who have already bought controllers that are ment to be DS3 there is very simple way to tell if it real or not, without connecting it to anything other than the PS3.

On the XMB shake the damn thing..... if its real the sparks on the XMB will react to this movement... simple but effective... if you don't beleive me get your real DS3 out, make sure you have the sparks on the XMB enabled and give it a shake>

Side to side movement will make them go from one side to the other (left to right or vise versa) and up and down will disperse the sparks all over the XMB.

DId you know your PS3 XMB did this with the DS3?

arcadekidflo and Infiltraitor like this.
  20. 89
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

Hello sir, I just need to add as well that this fake controller that I got that does not have an L3 and R3 function does have that shake n tilt function surprisingly. I have a tester for it. It's a demo game called Super Rub a Dub and it uses the motion sensor on the DS3.

Although I have not noticed it does it on the XMB wave as well. Thanks