Is this controller genuine?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by DigitalDrive, Jun 14, 2019.

1. 3,126
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    That's interesting...... do you know if its full sixaxis motion sensing or not? Try it on the xmb if its does that in a game it should have some effect on the XMB sparks....

Infiltraitor likes this.
  2. 91
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

/\
    @Cypher_CG89 I will be trying it on the XMB. Later I will also upload photos on what to look for. I have fake and a real DS3 here for comparison.

Edit:
    @Cypher_CG89 As expected the fake one still works on the XMB like it should on real ones (on fiddling the glitters). Here are the pictures that I have to show comparison on Real vs Fake, based on my experience.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit2: Opening the controller is the best part. By far the best way to "How to Tell". But it's only possible if you already own the controller as you may need to open it to see.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    snkplkn likes this.
  3. 428
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

The foil sticker difference is critical in older model used controllers. The faded foil stickers are clearly identifiable when controller has seen years of usage.

4. 367
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Ok, but like I've told before, in my case a genuine DualShock 3 also has problems when in another PS3 it doesn't and my fake DualShock 3 and Thrustmaster only have problems on my PS3 and not on another one so what should I do?

5. 91
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

@Windows10User Have you tried the "Reset" Button on both of your Controllers. Sometimes it solved the issue. If it won't resolve the issue, I recommend getting your 4th controller and an original DS3 if possible. Or try a different controller, an original DS3 that you have not tested before like from a friend just to test. If it turns out Original DS3s are working on your PS3 the second time, then get an original.

Would like to know though, does your PS3 differ on the other PS3 you've tested. Like yours maybe a newer version while the other an older model (FAT PS3)? I'm not sure if that matters though.

Edit: I have just back read this thread and your post. I looks like its something major after doing the Rebug. A bit of isolation tests, If you can get you PS3 return to Stock OFW and if your Controllers works it could be the mod.

6. 428
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Borrow a genuine DS3 from your friend which is working correctly on his PS3. Install some different CFW on your PS3. And check again.

Edit - Even before reinstalling CFW. First try to restore PS3 system and default settings. And then check if your friends original DS3 is working on your PS3. If you still have problem, then reinstall CFW and try again.

Infiltraitor likes this.
  7. 367
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

But that's exactly what I did. I reinstalled CFW, tried a working DualShock 3 lent from a friend and I still had the problems. Plus, my friend didn't have the problems I'm having with my controllers in his PS3 after I borrowed him my controllers.

8. 11
    Raidmax

Raidmax Forum Noob

If seller lets you check with SCP Toolkit, it will detect it straight away if it's fake.

If he doesn't, there's a second way - bring a portable battery (does not matter how much mAh it supplies) and a miniUSB cable. Fakes will charge, genuines won't.

remlei and Infiltraitor like this.
  9. 307
    Luisile

Luisile Member

The shroud looks genuine only way more used than normal. Dissassemble it,and post pictures here..

10. 367
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

If a working genuine DualShock 3 doesn't work on my PS3 (which is the case) then what should I do?

11. 428
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Have you restored OFW and checked on it?

12. 367
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Yes.

13. 91
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

/\
    If the issue is still present even on OFW, could it already be a hardware issue then? Like BT modules on the PS3? I'm not quite the technician for PS3s, but doing isolation if it's still having issues on both CFW and OFW seems like a hardware issue to me.

AFAIK, Original PS3s should work all the time since its genuine. If it does something different then we have a problem.

I haven't notice you tested another Genuine DS3 though (or I need to back read thoroughly then). I would recommend you doing that, because if you only tested 1 original DS3 it could be possible the controller is faulty as well.

- If 1 Orig DS3 tested and not working = probable controller issue
    - But if 2 Orig DS3 tested and not working = probable BT hardware on PS3 issue

14. 11
    Raidmax

Raidmax Forum Noob

Maybe it has been suggested already, but have you tried first connecting the controller through USB? I know my genuine DS3 needs this in order to work - I have to first power the PS3 (this is regardless of the model), wait for it to show XMB, then connect a miniUSB cable for it to pair. Then I can remove the cable and use the controller wirelessly.

So, to recap:
    1. Power on PS3
    2. Connect miniUSB between controller and PS3
    3. Press the PS button to "pair" it to the PS3
    4. You can remove the USB cable now.

15. 367
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

That's what I think, that it might be caused by a faulty BT module (although I don't understand much about hardware) or other piece of hardware. The question is, the genuine DualShock 3 has no problems on my friend's PS3 as well as my two fake DualShock 3 (which have problems on my PS3) and the Thrustmaster (except one or two problems like I've told before). The Thrustmaster has even the problems on my PS2. If it's caused by a faulty BT module I supposed the fake DualShock 3 (and maybe the wired Thrustmaster) wouldn't connect at all, which is not the case.

Yes, it works without doing that, although with problems. I even switched the miniUSB cable and I still have problems.

16. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

it's the same problems both with cable and wirelessly?

17. 367
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Yes, since the Thrustmaster is wired and I still have the problems as well as with the fake DualShock 3 when connected via cable. I don't understand how a supposed faulty BT module can mess up wired controllers or wireless ones but connected via cable, though.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  18. 91
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

Okay so as you tested it on both wireless and wired and still having issues for the Genuine DS3 at this moment. Let's go back when you haven't hacked your PS3 yet, did your old DS3 worked before or have you tried it? If it worked on OFW before, then after you hacked the PS3 have you encountered the issue right away or after some time?

- If after you hacked your PS3, then it had problems right away = probable due to hacking process
    - If after you hacked you PS3, then after some time it had problems = probable hardware wear?

I'm not quite sure with BT, but I had experience with it. After some time like when the BT device (a dongle) gets older it tends to get a little picky on devices. I'm not sure with PS3 BT and DS3 BT. If your PS3's BT module is faulty, it could be possible it's rejecting Genuine DS3, and go for fakes since Sony's controllers and 3rd party controllers may not have similar hardware inside.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot, I noticed that its affecting both wireless and wired with the same issue. If it's rejecting devices that way, and not only on wireless. Could it be a software issue then?

Edit2: Is your PS3 Jailbreakable? If so I think it can be downgraded to the lowest firmware possible. Try it first. I believe there is a list here on PSX-PLACE for OFW. You may acquire the lowest OFW version then downgrade to that, then test the controllers again. Please be aware though, it might brick your PS3 while doing it so be careful.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  19. 367
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

After some time. I didn't have the genuine DualShock 3 because it stopped working for good before installing CFW for the first time but both the fake DualShock 3 and the Thrustmaster worked fine at the time. What do you mean by rejecting? Both the genuine and the fake DualShock 3 work but with a lot of problems. It's different from not being detected by the PS3 or not working at all. Software issue? I already downgraded to a OFW version but I still had the problems so I installed CFW again.

20. 91
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

/\
    What I mean with "Rejecting" is the BT might be a bit picky on devices, that's what I thought.

Okay so from what I understand Both Genuine and 3rd Party or Fakes have issues on your PS3, including wired and wireless. And Downgrading to the lowest OFW still have issues, can you determine now it's on the hardware part on your device?