PS3 Is Webman crashing my system?

Discussion in 'webMAN MOD' started by Derek Sullivan, Apr 16, 2019.

1. 19
    Derek Sullivan

Derek Sullivan Forum Noob

Is there an alternative to webman because I think it is crashing my system.

Every now and then when I run a game my whole system freezes, it occurs at random points. I have to hit reset button on console for it to snap out of it.

System currently has multiman and webman installed, I installed webman for the games folders so I'm not really sure if it is webman or multiman that is causing the crashes.

2. 657
    umart666

umart666 Member

if i were you i'd first backup my system (you can find out how on this forum) then restore system,reflash cfw of your choice and restore it again.that way you ensure full system integrity and start clean.

transfer back your files and get latest webman mod working.then you could add apps as you need them and exclude your system out of the question.

alternatively you can try out Managunz,it's really awesome,but i think you have system wide instability that should be resolved first.

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  3. 59
    xxxmarioxxx

xxxmarioxxx Member

Just uninstall multiman.
    Had this problem before, it will happen when I enter multiman, exit from it and then use webman mod to mount an ISO. The whole system freezes instantly. You can test it by yourself.
    Now I just use managunz + webman mod. I believe multiman was discontinued as it hasn't been updated in a year.

4. 2,843
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

Apart of the known freeze mounting games with webMAN after exit from multiMAN, there is another known freeze:
    It happens when the user accesses VSH Menu or sLAUNCH (sometimes can happen unintentionally) with Russian as the system language.

The latest commit to github prevents that issue showing an error message and returning to XMB if these plugins are accessed with Russian as language of XMB. It is not related to webMAN's internal language. These plugins can be launched without problems with other system languages (English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, etc.)

I mention to let Russian users know about the solution.

5. 59
    xxxmarioxxx

xxxmarioxxx Member

Hello, Aldostools, good to see the original developer here. I know this might be a little off topic, but i'm having another problem with webman mod.I asked the question in another post but nobody answered. Can you tell me if there's any way to make the fan ramp up faster in webman's fan control function? If I start a demanding game, the fan will stay at minimum speed till the temperature reaches about 60C. Then, the fan will speed up to keep the temperature under the max temperature i set. The problem is that the speed up process is a bit slow and the temperature will always hit around 70C and the fan speed will reach 80%, then it slowly ramps down to about 50% and temperature drops to 63C.

6. 19
    Derek Sullivan

The hard disk is a new install, so I don't think that is the issue. The old hard disk also had random freezes that occurred when running a game. Both hard disks had multiman and webman installed.

I've seen a few youtube videos that claim freeze issues can be fixed if you increase the plugin memory size in webman so I will give that a go. If it doesn't crash anymore then hopefully problem solved.

Also I'll try the system without running multiman at all and see if that fixes the crash issue. As xxxmarioxxx mentioned it might only crash after I run multiman and then a game via webman.

If however crashes continue, then multiman will be uninstalled and I'll try Managunz, when I first got the system it had lots of different apps running on it, Managunz was one of them but I didn't know what it did, it crashed a lot then. It was only after I did a full system restore and only installed multiman and webman that the crashes lessened but the crashes still occurred. Then with the new hard disk, crashes are still present.

7. 89
    fkd

fkd Member

If you have CCAPI, that might explain the freezing, because I had it installed with webMAN MOD before, and it would crash the PS3 infinite times. There's a special edition of webMAN for CCAPI, in case you want. Or if it's not special, then it's recommended by someone to have with CCAPI.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    aldostools likes this.
  8. 89
    fkd

fkd Member

Why don't you put the fan in automatic mode? Minimum is, in my case, 50%, and when it reaches 75C, it becomes automatic. You could put for example 35% as the minimum, if you don't want the noise I have (and I actually don't even care about it because I forget about it), and then it would be faster to go to 80%, because it's already on 35%. Just an idea.

9. 6,008
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    It sounds like your thermal paste needs replacing under your heatsink or maybe even under your IHS if its going up that high that quickly, and needing 80% to get it down a few degrees. The fan speed comes up quite quick with webman mod. Try setting a lower temperature so it starts speeding up sooner maybe in the menus before the game the gets going properly, like 55C.

xxxmarioxxx and aldostools like this.
  10. 2,843
    aldostools

Please try this test build...
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/52c19o

In this version, the increments of the fan speed are proportional to the increment of temperature.
    e.g. If the temperature increases 5°C, the fan speed increases 5% each time instead of a constant1%.
    If the temperature increments in 2°C, the fan speed will be increased 2% each time.
    The fan speed will also slow down proportionally. So it should decrease faster too.

11. 89
    fkd

fkd Member

That's really interesting! Thanks! And a question. Does that have a start point? Because for example, to keep my PS3 bellow about 70C on games, for example GTA 5, I need to have the fan at 50%. So, if I have the automatic mode in 75C, if the temperature goes up, to 76 for example, would it increase the fan to 51%? Or that mode would put the fan on 76%?

12. 2,843
    aldostools

The parameters are the same as in earlier versions. Indeed it should be the same if the temperature is stable, the change should be noticeable when the temperature increases suddenly (>2°C). It also intends to reduce the noise reducing the fan speed faster if the console has been cooled.

The "start point" that you ask is the "Lowest" parameter:
    View attachment 16677

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    fkd and DeViL303 like this.
  13. 59
    xxxmarioxxx

xxxmarioxxx Member

Well, as I said in another post, I made a lot of mods to my PS3, including deliding both IHS for Cell and RSX, replacing all thermal paste with quality Arctic Silver 5, replacing all thermal pads, replacing the 15 blade fan with a 19 blade one and replacing the ZSSR5391A PUS with APS226.

The weird part is that once everything warms up, the fan could maintain the temperature under 63C with speed under 50%, so I don't think this problem is with the thermal paste.

DeViL303 likes this.
  14. 59
    xxxmarioxxx

xxxmarioxxx Member

Thank you very much.

Just tested out this version and it's working perfectly.
    In the last of us, the temperature will still go 2-3C over the max temperature I set, but I can see the fan speed increases 3% each time, making it drop back much faster.
    In unreal tournament 3, which I think is a less demanding game, there's no overheating at all, the temperature could be kept under 63C all the time.
    It would be really nice if you could make an option to enable this feature in future releases.

By the way, I think I'm having another problem with webman's FTP server. If I keep the FTP session open on my computer and launch a program on PS3, the system will stuck in the black screen and I have to force it to shut down, exactly the same symptom as a dead bd board. If I close the FTP session on my computer before launching any program on PS3, everything works fine. This have happened several times after uploading something to my PS3.

15. 19
    Derek Sullivan

The combination of Managunz and Webman fixed the crashing problem but installing games with Managunz seems to take forever, some being well over 30 minutes.

I'm going to go back to the Multiman and Webman combo but every time I use Multiman I'll make sure I reboot the system before running Webman, hopefully this does not lead to any crashes.

16. 4,285
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

That sentence is confusing, managunz doesnt install games :)
    I guess you mean file transfers

DeViL303 likes this.
  17. 60
    Fedor Wearing A Fedora

Fedor Wearing A Fedora Member

I've also encountered the FPT issue, a soft reboot or as mentioned closing the FTP session will solve it. Good to know i'm not the only one, was starting to doubt my fat ps3.