Issues updating my RGH

Discussion in 'XBOX 360' started by pinkfloydviste, Dec 23, 2015.

1. 441
    pinkfloydviste

pinkfloydviste Moderator

[MENTION=3657]pinky[/MENTION] (happy to hear from anyone else with a suggestion too)

I decided to update my xbox dash to 17489 and I've used both jrunner and xebuild with the same result.

I keep an error when trying to update in xell. The error says:

"block 0x1b7 seems bad, status 0x00000218

Block cannot be recovered (A.K.A. it's really bad)"

Then it finishes flashing the rest of the nand and when the xbox starts up, it hangs at the xbox 360 screen (although it does sign me in)

Any suggestions? FYI, it's a trinity motherboard and I've had those same bad blocks in the past but it always just remapped them without a hitch.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

2. 10,789
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

can u boot into xell? u should be able to if the system at least freezes, black screen is usually a bad sign.

edit: btw, u can use an app called degraded to fix bad blocks. if things r really bad, u can use the debian disc which will create a link between the system and ur computer to flash, but u definitely wanna make sure the updflash is sound. the latter is only if things r really bad, and it requires xell to function. if u can't boot into xell, u'll need to flash manually.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  3. 441
    pinkfloydviste

pinkfloydviste Moderator

yeah, i can still boot into xell, i've tried it about 4 times (2 with xebuild and 2 with jrunner patches), same error every time.

4. 10,789
    pinky

it's a good thing u have xell booting. it occupies the first 50 blocks of the nand. if u have bad blocks, they'll be remapped to the end of the nand. I'd try degraded. I'd try to fix it for u, but the only issue is nand's being console-specific, so I couldn't test it before sending. btw, if it's freezing on the splash screen, try unplugging the usb drives. I believe they're scanned while the system boots up even if not in freestyle. also, don't inject dashlaunch patches. they can sometimes cause issues when building a nand. install separately.

5. 441
    pinkfloydviste

pinkfloydviste Moderator

I'll give that a program a shot.

I know I had dashlaunch making it boot directly to fsd. Are you saying I should somehow disable that?

6. 10,789
    pinky

dashlaunch won't affect bad blocks, but it can sometimes cause issues if injected directly. if u have xexmenu, u can boot the default.xex of dashlaunch or boot freestyle, then boot the default.xex of dashlaunch. ur launch.ini won't be affected by doing this. it's just a precaution.

7. 441
    pinkfloydviste

pinkfloydviste Moderator

alright, so the 360 booted to fsd. (without doing anything) but now i can't get it into the standard dash. I'm holding down the right bumper when i exit to the home menu. The screen stays black until I release the bumper at which point fsd boots up again. I guess I'll see if I can straighten out the bad blocks situation and then flash the update file again.

8. 10,789
    pinky

that's a known issue with newer dash launch versions. open the home screen, then select system settings or something to see if u boot into the normal dash.

9. 441
    pinkfloydviste

pinkfloydviste Moderator

no, even when i select system settings it still only boots to fsd

update: I updated dashlaunch to latest version and installed aurora. I can get to everything but standard dash, which sucks because I need to access internet settings to connect to my new wireless router.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  10. 10,789
    pinky

try disabling dash launch. which app did u use to flash the system?

I'm still using FSD 2 since I find it faster than FS 3 and Aurora, but I do have the Aurora logo as my fake anim splash screen. :p

unfortunately, I know of no way to change internet settings without having access to the dashboard. I'd imagine they're in the kv somewhere, but u wouldn't wanna mess that up.

11. 441
    pinkfloydviste

pinkfloydviste Moderator

I used both the Simple 360 NAND Flasher and XeLL. They both show the same error. I got in touch with Swizzy who asked me to send him a current nand dump, which I did. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon with some sage advice.

12. 10,789
    pinky

well, that's good. I've never heard of a nand being so badly corrupted that it was unfixable, but I know some of the newer model 360s have nands with very few spare blocks in case something were to go bad. it might've been a way to block xell from being writable - I'm not sure.

13. 10,789
    pinky

if u send me ur nand dump and cpu key, I'll see if I can fix it unless that's already been done.

14. 441
    pinkfloydviste

pinkfloydviste Moderator

I just sent the PM. Thanks for your help.

15. 441
    pinkfloydviste

pinkfloydviste Moderator

[MENTION=3657]pinky[/MENTION]

So, I was able to hook up my nand-x, erase the nand 4 times in a row and then install a patched nand that already had the bad block portion of the nand remapped. Now it's working perfectly and updated to the latest dash. What a headache...

16. 10,789
    pinky

[MENTION=61]pinkfloydviste[/MENTION] , did u ever use fakeanim to replace ur bootanim? I've heard it can corrupt the nand. although, it's never happened to me, and I've used it for as long as it's existed. not sure if there's a checksum of some sort for the system considering they suggest deleting the original bootanim which I actually just renamed and left in the flash. I've never had bad blocks in my nand before, but one patcher corrupted my nand so badly that I couldn't even update via xell. I was able to via the debia disc though.

17. 441
    pinkfloydviste

pinkfloydviste Moderator

No, I never messed with any bootanimation mods. I think I have like a ghost nand block. it reads differently every time so my nand dumps are never identical. The program never claims to be able to wipe it, although ding it 4 times in a row seemed to do the trick, despite the errors shown by the program. PITA, but I'm glad I learned how to fix it.

18. 10,789
    pinky

never heard of a ghost nand block, but it's a good thing it's fixed now. I think the "bad" nand blocks r usually corrupted considering most nands have bad blocks to begin with from the factory. I know, with the wii for example - if backing up the nand, the system will show bad blocks as black in bootmii. I have like 5 of those, but they're not corrupted. though, with the 360, xell is always the first 50 blocks, so if something gets corrupted there, u'll probably need to redump the nand manually. I'm not sure how many free blocks r available with the 360 since it changes if u have internal flash and whatnot, but there r very few free with the latest. iirc, ur nand read as a trinity which would be first generation slim. I believe cornoa is second generation. I believe the third generation, which I can't recall the name of, is the one with few spare blocks.

19. 441
    pinkfloydviste

pinkfloydviste Moderator

it is a trinity, so that's good news for my console. BTW, what are your favorite homebrew apps for your RGH 360?

20. 10,789
    pinky

I just use dashlaunch for the most part. I build my newer dash files with xebuildgui, but I wrote a tutorial for both the gui and the normal xebuild in the 360 tutorials' section here. I don't game much on my 360 at all aside from Mega Man Anniversary Collection since I'm a huge Mega Man fan. a lot of homebrew, like emulators, have stupid achievements to them, so I don't use them. all seven or eight controllers I own have a white ring of light same as my 360 with a purple center button. the system is in a shell with leds that change from seven different colors. I have a pink, fitting I guess, hdd chasis with a 1TB hdd. anyway, I mostly game on the Wii-U and the PS4 anymore...probably since neither is fully hacked. once I hack a console, I become obsessed with the hacks rather than the games.