Jailbreak Wii

Discussion in 'Wii' started by snkplkn, Jan 12, 2020.

1. 427
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Dear friends,

I got a Wii Backward compatible which is on OFW 4.3e. What is the best way to jailbreak this console for playing backups? How to create backups from game Disks?

Also do i need to change thermal paste or other maintenance? This Wii looks to be very little used. It came with a Mario Kart Box full package including all accessories. I don't think i need to open it up for cleaning dust etc. Its scratch less.

Also one problem i am currently facing is that my SD card is not recognized. I am using MicroSD card with SD adapter. My microsd card is Samsung 32 GB HC 1 Class 10 A1.

Please recommend which Micro SD card will work with SD adapter.

@sandungas & other veterans please advice.

2. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

mod mii

TnA likes this.
  3. 21
    marciolsf

marciolsf Forum Noob

TnA and snkplkn like this.
  4. 427
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Please tell me what SD card is compatible with Wii? I am using Micro SD adapter.

5. 427
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

What is difference between Mod mii and Boot mii? What is priiloader?

My wii is dated 2011 so Boot mii cannot be installed as boot2.

6. 21
    marciolsf

marciolsf Forum Noob

A microsd should be fine. Bootmii is a boot manager that allows you to back up your system files, in case you mess something up. Modmii and priiloader are very low level config tools that I've been told to stay off of it unless I know what I'm doing.

All those tools have very good explanations on that site I linked above, so I'd suggest a good read through so you have a better idea on what you're getting yourself into. Wii hacking is relatively straight forward, and as long as stick with the guide, you'll be OK.

7. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

try this: https://wii.guide/get-started.htm

in my experience, the wii is one of the easiest systems to hack, but getting everything optimized can take some time. I haven't updated my wii stuff in years.

arcadekidflo likes this.
  8. 427
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Thanks for replies.

Dear friends,

I have checked out your links and got the basic idea.

My main concern is to know about Brick protection. What measures are needed for Brick protection in soft modded wii. I have read that Wii models (pre 2009) which install Boot Mii as Boot2 are safe as they can be restored even after bricking with NAND flash restore.

What protection is to be taken in newer Wii Models?

9. 607
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Learning and not doing things you do not fully understand, will keep you safe.

10. 1,314
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Well... You can start of with hackmii and get the HBC installed via the Letterbomb-Exploit.

As for PriiLoader: WARNING!!! There is a specific order, in which it needs to be installed or it MIGHT brick your Wii!

11. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

priiloader is brick protection, but I think it as boot2 is only for the earliest models. it will load before system menu in case something is corrupted. I had forgotten all about that or how to get into, so I looked it up and tested it on my system. works, no issues.

the reason I suggested modmii is that it will give you a detailed list of the order to do things. I think it's basically customized instructions. I wouldn't watch a youtube video for that.

the wii is probably one of the easiest systems to hack, but it can get confusing to customize everything (i.e. neek2o). that contains nintendo code, so you won't find it on gbatemp. with that being said, it's also the easiest to brick if you don't know what you're doing.

12. 1,314
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

PriiLoader in boot2? I think you mean BootMii?!

Nevertheless,... PriiLoader had an issue, that it could brick a console, if it were installed in a specific order... Your statement, that it is a "Brick Protection", doesn't change the fact that this bricked multiple consoles in the first place!

I got notified of that issue, when I was setting up my Wii!

Yes, ModMii is also neat for that reason!

snkplkn and pinky like this.
  13. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

thanks. I can't remember too well about the wii. I wasn't a part of the scene, but I hacked the system almost immediately. I have a wiikey v1 modchip in my system, but all I use now is the soft mod. most of the things on my system are outdated ever since I started using the wii u.

snkplkn and TnA like this.
  14. 427
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

All done.

Installed Boot Mii and USB GFX Loader. Without any difficulty.

But some problems. My 32 GB USB2.0 Kingston Pen Drive does not run games in WBFS format. I don't know why. Same game rips works well from my San Disk 8 GB USB Drive. Game rips also work from my 500 GB external hard drive with power source.

So Wii looks to be choosy with certain USB drives for unknown reasons. While PS3 never had any such problems. I can use any USB drive, external drive etc without any problem on PS3.

Also i could not take backup of NAND from Boot Mii because for some reason my SD is not detected for that homebrew while dumping. Though other homebrews work fine on same sd card.

15. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

pen drives are not recommended. the drive I was using with the wii died a long time ago, but I managed to save the data. now, it's going to my wii u.

in my wii, I'm using a 64GB micro sd card. everything seems to work. I wouldn't go much higher if you plan to put games on the sd card (the official way). I know that the 256GB card in my wii u -- you can transfer data to it, but it errors with games on the sd card. the better alternative is neek though.

16. 1,314
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

You can try "Pimp My Wii", to update most ios! ;)

pinky likes this.
  17. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

true, but I don't use the system anymore. I've really prepped my wii u though: 3 vwii NANDs (one to show the games in usb loader gx, one to put games that need neek2o, and my normal NAND), a customized vwii menu (blue), forwarders for homebrew channel, usb loader gx, wup installer on wii u menu, etc, redNAND (haven't used it in a very long time), etc. I'm still on 5.5.1 with the wii u though. however, it doesn't really matter, since I've been using cbhc for a few years and nnu patcher to access the eshop. region free through sysprod.xml (not needed anymore with haxchi/cbhc. I read that deleting your account will cause the wii u and wii channels to disappear, so I kept the original file for that as well as changing the colors in the vwii. I redumped my nand after the original method not dumping the whole nand, I have a forwarder for nintendont as well with all of my cube games on the sd card. I also migrated my saves from the wii to the wii u. probably a lot of other stuff I'm forgetting. I have the vwii hdd and sd cards backed up to at least four machines. it's just been so long since I've messed with the original wii that I can't remember a lot of things. I ustealthed the hdd. I'm not sure if that works on the wii. I know that usb loader gx (what I use on the wii u) and cfg usb loader (what I use on the wii, but outdated currently) work with usealth. I even have a selector between both systems. :-p

I didn't softmod my wii for quite some time due to having a modchip. I recently came across about five binders full of burns for wii, ps2, and xbox360. almost every game I've tried has worked with the ps2, which is using a new modchip, laser, and system. I haven't tested out the other systems. :D

oh, I also have system config tool for sysNAND. the version I'm using can't inject saves, but it can dump them. it dumps everything including the savedata icons. sct is what I used to install all games, and dump all saves. I did test them, and they worked without a problem. I kept that install on my hdds. you want to make sure to get the right version or it may brick your system. the redNAND has a difference of around 4 bytes. I don't have it installed currently though. it caused a weird glitched icon on redNAND. that sct contains nintendo code, so people have to look for it themselves. I got my version from the dev who fixed it to work on sysNAND.

edit: tl;dr I did a lot of different hacks on the vwii

18. 1,314
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

pinky likes this.