Japanese 20GB PS3 CECHB01 PSU - wich Voltage does it supports?

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by Estox, Jul 6, 2019.

1. 99
    Estox

Estox Member

Hey guys,

for collection purpose, i like to own a ps3 with full Hardware BC to Ps2 (EE + GS) so there is no way around a CECH A or B model. I life in germany and looked up on ebay.com for the US version of B Model. but most of the auctions are parts only or the sellers like to get 400$ PLUS shipping, thats way to much, so I decided to just buy a japanese one, there are more common in japan and waaaay cheaper.

But now my problem in germany we got 230Volt at 50Hz but in japan they got 100Volt. now my question did anybody own a japanese B model and knows if the internal PSU supports 100-230 volts? some newer 80 gig models like the CECHL supports 120V-230V by default so you could plug a german ps3 just in the wall in america with out a problem but There are some models like the german CECHC that ONLY supports 230V nothing elese.

if the japanese CECHB model does not support 230Volt by default, did you know if the PSU from the european CECHC model fits in to the japanese B model? that would be awesome, so I would buy an aditional europen C model and just swap the internal PSU and problem soved. pictures of the mainboards of B and C models compared would help to find out, if the PSUs are cross compatible. cant find something liek that.

I hope you understand what I like to know and could help me that would be awesome guys

2. 1,789
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    CECHA/B Power Supplies are not Bi-Volt meaning they only operate as 100/110V ~ 60Hz as far as i am aware, in order to operate it in the European standard power grid, you have two options, get a 220V Convertor, or you can swap the original ZSSR5391A/APS-226 from it, into the CECHC/G APS-227/APS-231.

The APS-231 its a Bi-Volt Power Supply, meaning they will operate both 110~220V regions, but be careful, many reports suggest the APS-231 doesn't provide enough Amps to the A/B models due to the additional EE+GS, although i had no trouble with a 231 on my CECHC (GS Only), so in order to ensure maximum compatibility use a APS-227, you can go to a 231 as well, but i don't know the side effects as these models are rated at 3.2A, compared to the CECHC which is rated at 1.8A i believe.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

jcorrea and Estox like this.
  3. 99
    Estox

Estox Member

I found this list at ps3 dev wiki. If this is true, the only ps3 model that is NOT bi voltaged is the european CECHc model that I also own and can confirm its printed on it only 220-240volts. so compared to this list, all A and B models are Bi voltaged.

And also where you're right is that the APS-231 PSU does not delivere enough power compared to ths list. the A and B models takes around 387 watts but the APS-231 (found in G model) for e.x.) only deliveres 287 volts thanks to the sunken power consumption of this newer model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But if this list is correct all ps3 models are bi voltaged except the "stupid" erupean C model that is only 220-240 volts. and this only fits in to this model it is not cross compatible to any other model.

It seems, that you are an expert to this, so would you agree to this list? is ps3 dev wiki a good source ?

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Power_Supply

4. 7,626
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    You can check that on power supply information board (need to open up ps3), but all retail PS3 power supply support 220-240v, some don't support 110-120v.

Estox likes this.
  5. 1,507
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Estox likes this.
  6. 1,789
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Another mention i forgot, but you already, saw it, the 227 isn't Bi-Volt, after the 231 for the G Model all PS3s PSUs became Bi-Volt, even though sometimes isn't mention, unless you take the console apart and check the PSU Specs.

The 231 provides more than enough voltage for the A/B model, Sony overkilled it with 389W PSUs on the early models, which was unecessary, the A/B/C and E models on average, pull only 200W from the wall on more demanding titles, meaning the remaining 189W are converted into heat, thus higher electricity bill at the end of the month, and the ZSSR5391A its known for an abysmal 6.0A,which its the reason why they overheat, the APS-227 on the other hand its 2.0~1.8A (if i recall), swapping it to a 231 its a good idea, but them comes the Amperes part into the play, which i suspect these COK-001 boards draw more than 2A, thats more than the 231 can provide, thus leading to power supply instability within the system.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

7. 1,507
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Are you sure?
    I always though that 389W means it's peak power that this PSU can produce?
    If console is not doing almost anything, let say that power consumption will be reduce into 80 W.
    Rest of a power just waits to "triggered".
    It shouldn't be converted into heat (remaining ~310 W).

DeViL303 and Estox like this.
  8. 99
    Estox

Estox Member

MHM okay that would be very nice, if this what Naked_Snake1995 said is true. but compared to the list at ps3 dev wiki it isn't.

[​IMG]

Like you can see the OG PSU from the A and B models got a much higher DC output into the PS3 Mainbaord, so the Newer G model PSU does not deliver enough power to the ps3. and you see, the G model PSU still is not that efficent with only 75% over the old 66% so sony gain the lower power consumption more over the less power needed by the ps3 than over a more efficient psu. a shame on them ^^

but i will leave the B model as is if it arrives opend it up and see the PSU supports my voltage. I will only play a few times, mostly I would got this model to collect it, so I will not play hours an hours on it, so the tremendous power consumption is not that problem to me. most of the time I play on my 700 watt PC so what ... xD

but man thx to all your replys, jolek your naming of the APS-231 and googleing for that let me found the dev wiki psu page, so special tankhs to that. I say this a lot of times, but psx place got such an amazing community :)

PS: You see all my playstation models tages in my signature under my postings? there will be a new ps3 B model added soon ^^ are you living in the US or how do you got your A model? :) so sad that europe is only the last sony is thinking about :'( It is not my fault to live in germany, blame my parents ! xD

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    DeViL303 likes this.
  9. 13
    raidriar

raidriar Forum Noob

Use APS-226 for universal voltage support and proper power rails. Avoid 231 and ZSSR

10. 147
    remlei

remlei Member

I have a CECHB and its a auto-volt system. Im using it on my 240v mains. No stepdown transformer needed.

you should refresh your knowledge how a Switching Power Supply works.

jolek and DeViL303 like this.
  11. 7,262
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Power supplies definitely don't convert spare capacity into heat, if that was true it would make the console get hotter the less you use it.

jolek and Estox like this.
Tags: