Just A Small Note/Warning

Discussion in 'Wii-U' started by pinky, Aug 14, 2016.

1. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I'm trying to help a friend hack the virtual wii of the wii-u. I thought I'd mention one thing: if u mess up with the virtual wii, the wii-u can't/won't update. I suppose that's not much of an issue if ur blocking updates though. this is just a warning or an expression of warning if ur hacking the virtual wii. there's no priiloader, so u can't fix a mess up. u can dump the virtual wii nand, but afaik, there's no way to fix the virtual wii if something goes wrong. good luck!

STLcardsWS and bitsbubba like this.
  2. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    Yes was reading there is no Nand restore option atm (hopefully one in the near future) but is still a very good idea to backup Nand/Keys so when there is brick fix would be possible

Edit: on a side note it's been quite some time since I even touched my "Wii" I should update my Softmod to the latest and greatest

Edit2: it looks like they might be kind of close to hacking the WiiU side maybe possibly that'll be the key to restoring the vWii in case of brick

Sent from me using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    pinky likes this.
  3. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

it's time for pinky sleep. who wants to tuck me in??? ;)

4. 1,463
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Yea I bought Lego Batman at game$top just to mod the vwii Side of my Wii I, haven't had the time to mess with it yet. From what I read quickly, it's pretty self explanatory given that you follow one rule. Just make sure whatever brew you install is made for the vwii and not original Wii. Any problems I came across were people that didn't Check or follow that, or they messed with ioses they shouldn't have

bitsbubba likes this.
  5. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

yeah, I used the smash stack method to install the homebrew channel. I haven't gotten around to installing the cios yet. also, u can't flash the nand of a normal wii on to the virtual wii or u'll brick for sure.

bitsbubba likes this.
  6. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    I think I got Lego StarWars Complete Saga somewhere so for me it would be Return of the Jodi

Sent from me using Tapatalk

7. 130
    stussy

stussy Member

Lol I hacked vwii with Jodi ass well I just hope wiiu side becomes just as good as the vwii side one day :(

bitsbubba likes this.
  8. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

yeah, there's a way to dump the virtual wii's nand, but if u brick, I dunno how ur gonna restore it. there's a way to fix the wii-u's nand, so there might be a way to fix the virtual wii's. it requires a hard mod. I saw that smea, one of the main devs behind both the wii-u and 3ds, accidentally bricked his wii-u, but he managed to fix it with a hard mod. there were a bunch of wires sticking out of his system, so I think it's a way to quick flash in case it happens again. that's one of the reasons he created red nand for both the wii-u and the 3ds.

u should definitely update the wii. if u have priiloader installed, u can fix a brick easily. I've never personally bricked my wii, but according to fail0verflow, the wii and the wii-u's software is very fragile. I'm not sure if the wii-u is this way, but the wii actually loads one ios at a time, so it offloads say the system menu ios to load a game ios (both r not running at the same time), perhaps to aid with ram (not sure). I think the wii-u does the same thing.

it should be possible. I'm not sure if the virtual wii has its own nand or not. I think it does, so it may or may not be possible to fix a virtual wii brick. u may have to install something on the virtual wii's side.

bitsbubba likes this.