Linux Emulator for PS3? Amiga OS4 Power PC Project

Discussion in 'PS3 Homebrew' started by Kragle, Dec 3, 2018.

1. 8
    Kragle

Kragle Forum Noob

Hello :) First post, Ive recently got into CFW and hacking. At the moment I am using a PHAT PS3 Piano with 500gb HDD installed - 4.83 FERROX (w/ COBRA v7.55) (by Alexander)

I noticed this CFW does not have the linux intergration that the old REBUG and DEX/CEX one had so when I was debating to install Linux, I came a bit stuck.

A group on my Facebook Amiga forum suggested that the PS3 would be a brilliant base for running Amiga OS4 as it is essentially a Power PC with 6-8 cores. So I looked into it, Seems there is a full linux installation for it preset up and everything. I just can't get Linux....... So. Anyone know if there is a PKG for a linux emulator?

2. 1,207
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

I dont know that i have ever saw a standalone linux emulator before. Rebug is the only cfw i know of that can still support other os. Install rebug toolbox along with 4.82 rebug rex cfw. Then there is a guide on here for installing red ribbon linux.

Louis Garry likes this.
  3. 1,333
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

Ferrox does not have DEX/CEX capability or the toolbox to install petitboot (to get linux installed)
    You must switch to rebug to accomplish these tasks via cfw. I do not know another way to do so, but that doesn't mean there isn't a way. Linux on a console isn't something that interests me in any way shape or form atm :)

4. 8
    Kragle

Kragle Forum Noob

I thought I would have to do that yes, I was on REBUG but since sony forced the 4.83 update out, that CFW stopped working properly, couldn't run any packages without needing the update. I don't know how to get past that so I might need to buy another PS3 and try it offline with the REBUG... It's a shame as this Linux distro was built to run the Amiga OS4 straight out of the box so I could use it as a true OS perhaps.

5. 4,468
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

There are some (lets call them) "legacy" PKGs to do the basic tasks to install petitboot, and to "switch" the boot mode to otherOS, and all that tasks
    Are from the times of 3.55 firmware but i guess still should work in newer firmwares like ferrox (not sure though)

For the amiga os4 i guess the goal is to run it nativelly on CELL processor, so i guess you could find some help in the linux and freebsd stuff made by glevand
    But for the linux part i suggest to wait for the release of a distribution named T2 SDE of this link
    http://www.psx-place.com/threads/5t...eration-rsx-project-update-by-renerebe.21370/

Is a work in progress, the release of the ISO is going to be an start point for him to continue working (later along 2019 i guess) in the RSX video hardware aceleration
    But the point is that T2 distribution is not exactly a linux "distro"... but a "build enviroment" to create linux distros
    So is perfect to build something on top of it, and is going to become "legacy" since the release date because the performance and because is going to be the most modern

Not sure if you are going to be able to recycle something of it for your idea of the amiga os4 though