PS3 Littlebalup's 4.86 Dual-Boot (DB) firmware released

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by STLcardsWS, Apr 18, 2020.

By STLcardsWS on Apr 18, 2020 at 6:36 PM
  1. 9,624
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Developer @littlebalup has released a 4.86 Dualboot Firmware. This firmware only of use for current PS3 Custom Firmware user's was an idea originally crafted by @habib several years ago. The purpose was to give Custom Firmware user's a safe way to go online (such as playing your disc based games) without a risk of a ban for using a Custom Firmware.

The Dualboot (DB) firmware is nothing else but an Official Firmware (OFW) . The ONLY difference is that you can RETURN and INSTALL a (4.86) CFW directly (without having to run an exploit again). So this is only useful for those existing CFW user's. To review, basically you install this PUP when you want to be official (for doing things like using PSN) and then re-install your CFW PUP when you want your custom firmware abilities back, such as launching homebrew. Additional details about this firmware can be seen below in the release notes provided by littlebalup

cd_blocked.jpg
    Additional 4.86 Updates and info can be seen in this thread > > > LINK

• Littlebalup's 4.86 Dual Boot firmware
      PUP MD5: 8DA031BAD0382D8BBE4BAE1085784D46

Compatibility:
      • Any PS3 already running a CEX custom firmware

Features:
      • Made from 4.86 OFW (CEX)
      • All the features of the 4.86 OFW (CEX)
      • Same CoreOS files size and structure than OFW
      • Same PUP size and structure than OFW
      • Patched isoldr and spu_pkg_rvk_verifier to allow installation of any 4.86 or higher CFW (CEX)

Installation:
      • Rename the "DB_4.86_littlebalup.PS3UPDAT.PUP" file as "PS3UPDAT.PUP"
      • On a FAT32 formatted USB storage device, create a folder named "PS3". Within that PS3 folder, create another folder named "UPDATE".
      • Copy the "PS3UPDAT.PUP" file to the UPDATE folder you just created.
      • Verify the MD5 signature of the "PS3UPDAT.PUP" file you just copied in the UPDATE folder.
      • Plug the USB storage device to your PS3 then install via [Settings] -> [System Update] -> [Update via Storage Media]
      • Follow the on screen instructions.

Download: Dualboot 4.86 (littlebalup)
    PUP MD5: 8DA031BAD0382D8BBE4BAE1085784D46

Source: psx-place.com

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    bfaster, CFW-Us3r, Woheth and 14 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by STLcardsWS, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Zwei
    2. Fallen777
      Fallen777
      I WONDER Would it strain the flash memory of the ps3 by multiple flashing and switching between ofw and cfw i.e causing file system or partition table curruption
    3. Berion
      Berion
      Thanks for the effort. Last time someone ask about safe been online to i.e sync trophies on CFW. I mentioned that Dual Firmware is the best approach but no one create it in those times. And now we have it again. ^^ Thanks.

@Fallen777 Every time when You flashing You NOR/NAND You increasing cell wear - in bad scenario, creating one or more bad blocks which is straight way to RSOD.
    4. jjkkyu
      jjkkyu
      waiting for overflow, anyway, I'll try this brand.
    5. Maculo
    6. reiza72
      reiza72
      Sorry guys I got a question. Is it possible to load the original kernel from 4.86 with Rebug ToolBox?
    7. Coldheart2236
      Coldheart2236
      Installing this is the equivalent of installing OFW. It is not CFW and is OFW in every sense other than it will let you reinstall CFW directly over it, which you could not do with regular OFW 4.86.
    8. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      For reference Overflow (bobby_downgrades) has made mistakes in the past in his DB firmware. littebalup has not in his previous releases and came to the rescue with one
      (Actually i believe this is when littlebalup started making DB firmware)

If your waiting for bobby's thinking its made better then that is a bit of a mistake. One has a track record of doing it right and the other one has a track record of rushing things and making mistakes..

Edit: 4.83 overflow DB had to removed because it did not work. Worked more like an OFW then a DB.. Says he tested all his work well, but in this case it was clear he did not. (there was no 4.83 exploit at the time, so even more reason to properly vent the release, especially when the developer has flashing tools to easily recover)
      https://www.psx-place.com/threads/u...dualboot-edition-the-ofw-for-cfw-users.21090/

Edit 2: Not sure if Overflow will be back or not. It was removed from here (4.85 or 4.84) for violating site rules in his CFW releases.. He had a chance to clean it up but he failed to do so and haven't seen him around.
      Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
      PLAYER 1 likes this.
    9. PLAYER 1
      PLAYER 1
      last time i used bobbys DB i bricked mi console, had to solder the flasher to fixit. No problem for me, i do that for living, but many people had bad times because of that sadly.
      If someone can adapt rebug lite to broken consoles and other one can make a DB, no need fo more. Thanks to all.
      STLcardsWS likes this.
    10. Coro
      Coro
    11. jjkkyu
      jjkkyu
      Thanks for the event tracing.
      I was using overflow DB 4.85 before and did not meet any issue.
      I suppose I've missed some drama and hope littebalup can be the successor.
    12. sandungas
      sandungas
      Is easy to explain, im going to summarize it to cut the speculations
      In some bobby CFW's was included some features related with piracy and warez, we realized about it a bit late (and went a bit angry because he was a frequent forum user that should be aware of the forum rules), we asked him to remove that specific features, and we advised him in that state this forum was not going to give him any support to his CFW's and we was going to take down the support threads, download links, and infos... but he didnt cared and continued doing it... so it happened
    13. littlebalup
      littlebalup
      Successor? lol

I made a 4.86 DB, like I did for 4.83 and 4.84, because somebody needed one, and none was availble at that time.
      It's not question for me to make any real CFW. I'm not enough skilled to 100% understand what's necessary and why. And if it's just to apply some patches by mimicking patches from the others, it's useless, ininteresting and dangerous.
      We already have Rebug and Ferrox CFW available for the 4.86. Why to make a new one? To have my name on the coldboot? lol
      Powerful Energy, jjkkyu and Algol like this.
    14. Hilltop
      Hilltop
      Hi, in first place thank you for your work.
      I wanted to have some info about this alternative OFW if i can:
      Can i play Journey that i own online on psn with this firmwre?
      Should i use a different hard drive with this firmware or the folders and backups from the previous CFW can't expose my console to ban risk? (i can easily swap hard drive if necessary).
      Do i need to be on 4.86 CFW to install this firmware?
      Thanks in advance!
    15. jjkkyu
      jjkkyu
      I mean the DB releaser.
      I always play games on DB, so I have to wait when sony release a new update.
      I did not use your 4.83 and 4.84, thanks for your effort all the same.
      I don't care the rest part in the FW suit, why not use rebug?
    16. nictse
      nictse
      better than sen enbale?
      if i just want to sync trophies?
    17. iesus gamer
      iesus gamer
      Hello everyone a question I have a video on YouTube echo of is firmware my question is if I can put it here so that you have a guide thank you and kind regards.
    18. Fallen777
      Fallen777
      probaly should always keep and nand/nor complete backup and a backup duplicate nand/nor flash backup programmed chip if possible
    19. chicane
      chicane
      Thanks for the DB!!
      I was going to ask for this