PS3 Loud fan noise for certain games

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Derek Sullivan, Apr 18, 2019.

1. 19
    Derek Sullivan

Derek Sullivan Forum Noob

Certain games make my PS3 really loud and some are acceptable. The games that run loud make the system pretty much unplayable. System currently running webman and managunz. What is causing this airbus takeoff like noise, is it the cooler, the power supply, dust, thermal paste or a mixture of all 4 combined?

My question is, is there a way I can make the system less noisy yet not overheat and destroy itself.

There are many threads about various fan control programs but some mention webman has a built in fan control system. Is there an optimum setting I can use that will give me what I want? What are the best temperature settings to use?

Opening the PS3 and replacing the thermal paste is well out of my range of capabilities.

2. 57
    SkillFeed

SkillFeed Member

Maybe just clean the inside? Opening it up isnt hard at all but you need a special security torx screw driver.

Gesendet von meinem BLA-L29 mit Tapatalk

3. 918
    umart666

umart666 Member

sadly,it's known oveheating issue and only way to resolve it is not only to clean and change thermal paste on the heatsinks but more crucially between chip itself and integrated heatspreader (IHS).it's no task for a beginner,and you should find professional service for it.

it's especially important if you have older fat model ps3,you're risking your console every second that's turned one due to RSX temperatures,anything beyond 68c is actively killing your console.

DeViL303 and jcorrea like this.
  4. 150
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

How is the temperature in the area / room you have your playstation set up in? During summers my place gets pretty damn hot and my ps3's fan will turn into a jet going full thrust for takeoff. Opening the console and cleaning out the vents and everything helps some, but won't solve the issue if the room temperature in your place is still high.

Also, my system's fans do this occasionally for certain games (specifically ps2classics and RDR for some reason.) but only when my place is hot and I don't have the AC running.

5. 971
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    PS3 model would really help you in this situation,by stating the PS3 Fan kicks in alone its not enough!

6. 2,879
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

Try using the latest build of webMAN that 8s available on GitHub. Redownload it and install that version, even if you think you already have it. I updated it recently with a new algorithm that increases and reduces faster.

Set the fan control to dynamic and 68C (these are the default settings). Set the minimum to 40%

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    citra mulia and xxxmarioxxx like this.
  7. 78
    xxxmarioxxx

xxxmarioxxx Member

More details
    Hi aldostools, thanks for the update. I saw some new commits but the release is still 1.47.15? Did you update the release pkgs? Do I download the 1.47.15 release files again?

8. 2,879
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

I also update the release files when I submit a new commit...

9. 78
    xxxmarioxxx

xxxmarioxxx Member

Thanks for the confirmation. Just updated to the latest version on my two systems, but I think I'm running into some problems here.

The webman folder in xmb is completely empty, just a blank screen. I tried to change some settings on my computer, but when I click save, the web page will load forever. Rebooting the system doesn't seem to help. After reverting back to the version you sent me on April17 or the original 1.47.15, everything worked just fine. I tried to remove webman from webman settings and install the newer version , but the problem is still there. Blank screen. Both systems are rebug 4.84, cobra enabled. Could you look into this issue? Thanks.