Low FPS in PS3 games

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Sandi1987, Jul 8, 2019.

1. 11
    Sandi1987

Sandi1987 Forum Noob

I have problem with low FPS in PS3 games (Killzone 3, Call of Duty 3... - 10-15 FPS). I have PS3 Slim. Maybe HDD problem?

2. 11
    Sandi1987

Sandi1987 Forum Noob

My Wi-Fi/BT board also dead. I will use RPCS3 - PS3 emulator for PC. Delete my account, please.

3. 378
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

no low fps won't be caused by bad HDD, stuttering and frame drops will be a cause of bad HDD.

It may be due to being a PC gamer 20-30 FPS seems shit or something else. Since the PS3 Doesn't even throttle at higher temperatures.

4. 31
    Chaos Husky

Chaos Husky Forum Noob

I wouldn't say due to being a PC gamer, that's mean :p I think you're saying the PS3's hardware is a bit shitty and always was even compared to the 360 but it's such an old platform it's impressive even semi-modern titles can run well? xD hehe.. My own Slim is being an ass at the moment.. Not so much an FPS issue more of a fan has to run like a jet engine/heatsink must be crap on the CPU/becoming a bit unstable sort of issue lol could be my own HDD i suppose, sadly it only has 250GB and i'd love to swap it out but..ugh such a hassle!

5. 2,649
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    I would say the thermal paste needs replacing on the CELL/BE and RSX if your not using a dynamic fan controller like the one built into webMAN MOD. As the the fan only sounds like a jet engine on SYSCON fan control when it's borderline overheated and this heat could kill the RSX and kill your PS3.

6. 31
    Chaos Husky

Chaos Husky Forum Noob

Stop assuming :p literally checked and changed the thermal paste the other day dear, no change xD i'm not that noobish.. Jeez! The RSX temperature is actually fine, just the CPU wants to run very hot and no matter what i set the fan controls to it always ends up spinning to about 83% speed lol... Piece of crap.. No wonder i barely use it :/ why on earth would you assume i haven't done that? Seems it already had it done once before i got hold of the machine, was actually fairly clean inside still so... I have a feeling it is more due to the fact that the heatsink design seems to be a bag of sh*t! xD Fairly sure the fins that are slid over the apparent heatpipes are loose as all hell.. Considering how much of a faff it is to even upgrade the HDD not to mention it makes so much noise in use or risk killing the CPU i'll just leave the damn thing to collect dust again lol :p

Unless i do a delid..? Although, like i say, heatsink design is...laughable!

7. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

obviosly your compound beneath cell IHS is degraded and your cell needs delidding,or like instructed you can set the fan speed manualy to something you can tolerate and let cell temps be somewhat bigger but be careful to be at least below 68c on the RSX.

heatsink design is fine really,problem is IHS design.

8. 2,649
    Cypher_CG89

When you did the thermal paste did you add pressure to the the heatsink by bending the retaining clamps? Sometime's the extra pressure can help a lot with making sure the heatsink is seated correctly as over time with heat and wraping it becomes out of optimal alignment.

You could do a delid but deliding the CELL is tricky on PS3s and one tiny scratch on the CELL and the PS3 is dead. I have never delided any of my Slim 's (2xCECH2003A's) and they run fine with just the thermal paste replacment and fan control set to 38% constant manual speed and neither the CELL or RSX temps ever go above 65-68*C no matter what game am playing, even high demand games such as TLOU or GT6.

Seeing as you say your RSX temp are fine but the CELL is higher, I would say its not seated correctly on the CELL side and adding a bit of pressure by bending the clamps slightly may do the trick. Each time I do the paste I bend the clamps to add pressure just to be sure. I do this once a year.

9. 2,649
    Cypher_CG89

Where do you pull this 68*C out of for the RSX? Just because that is the default temp webMAN MOD is set to don't mean anything above that will damage the RSX, its like that so it get's no where near the danger temps.

Its 80*C before you start to damage the RSX and the CELL can handle higher temps as it's a server grade IBM CPU.

10. 31
    Chaos Husky

Chaos Husky Forum Noob

Ugh.. IHS is usually a bad idea, notice the last line of my post? I suggested i do a delid :p And heatsink design is fine? Are you joking?! xD the fact that the one in the Slim is so small with such little surface area and also blows the heated air straight through the PSU has always made me cringe just a little bit lol I also said i've already done messing around with the fan settings.. Either manual or auto it's still way too hot for me to be comfortable.. And i'll say it once again RSX temp is fine! At about 54 degrees with slowish fan speed, drops to 51 with the fan squealing like a banshee! lol.. Stupid Cell crap.. I'm sure they named it after a DBZ character :D

11. 31
    Chaos Husky

Chaos Husky Forum Noob

You're all saying and suggesting things i've already tried.. ;-; but thanks! I always give the clips a little tweak after first removal.. I may be new to this forum but i may have been doing this stuff longer than you, ya know :p

And seriously you run with your fan that low and are comfortable with those temps? Ouch.. I'm really not! I mean these are Idle temps, it's ridiculous, even a Phat Xbox doesn't idle that high lol! Hmm.. Like i said though, i noticed when reassembling that some of the fins of the heatsink are so loose they slide off the heatpipes so.. Tempted to add solder to them but with all the problems this has, the bother of upgrading the drive, being on older CFW (Cobra 7.10 and FW is err 4.50 i think) and it randomly doing strange things i don't think i can be bothered with it.. Main thing stopping me being able to use it more though is the tiny 250GB drive it came with haha..

12. 31
    Chaos Husky

Chaos Husky Forum Noob

Well, after a sudden crash and having to check the filesystem as a result, testing the fan at 45% it seems to sit at 66 degrees C for the CPU and 50 for the RSX so i guess what i did actually improved it, i'm just...picky xD still seems far too hot to me considering it's basically idle.. So you're telling me that's normal?

Seems i've de-railed the low FPS thread.. That could be due to certain games being badly coded/ported for the PS3 vs the X360 or PC etc.. Usually the first culprit.. The more Sony exclusive, less complex games like Sly and Ratchet run at or close to 60FPS quite visibly.. or of course the awful design of the Cell which means you have like one core to actually run the App through and the rest are used for on the fly calculations mainly used for Blu-Ray decoding/security early on and things like that.. But that would be too technical for this thread i think lol

(I'm going to delid for a laugh in the next few days.. I'm sure i can improve that! Plus repair the dodgy loose fins on the heatsink..has anyone elses always been like that? 45% is still too noisy though.. Ugh it's awful xD)

Sdw100 likes this.
  13. 11
    Sandi1987

Sandi1987 Forum Noob

I installed SSD and it's the same.

14. 5,745
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Not sure what to say to that, but... are you loading the game backups from external hdd ?

15. 5,745
    sandungas

You mentioned your PS3 model is a slim so your heatsink is one of this:
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Type_5
    And... i guess you removed the black plastic cover to see the fins ?

16. 11
    Sandi1987

Sandi1987 Forum Noob

No. From internal HDD. I have FPS drops.

17. 5,745
    sandungas

And are you checking temperatures of CELL/RSX ?, sometimes high temperatures could cause fps drops, but i guess you would have noticed it

Not sure, right now i cant imagine other causes for having low FPS

18. 11
    Sandi1987

Sandi1987 Forum Noob

My PS3 is hot while playing. My console dying?

19. 5,745
    sandungas

How much hot ?, you need to tell the temperatures of CELL and RSX, otherway we dont know what you mean with "hot"

20. 11
    Sandi1987

Sandi1987 Forum Noob

How to see temperatures in game?