Make it Custom .... GUI Customisation > Windows, PS3, Android etc...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cypher_CG89, Feb 10, 2020.

?

Would you prefer that more Devices, Apps etc came with more customisation "out of the box"... ?

1. Yes ...

2. No ...

3. Not Bothered ...

4. I'll just hack it if I have to lol ...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 3,536
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Home Page:
    The purpose of this thread is for people to show off their custom GUis from any device they have > PS3, PC, Android etc...

Or maybe to get some ideas, inspiration, advise for something they might be working on...

We all know that most consumer things come with basic, crappy GUI's. Most of the time they are plain, boring, not really well thought out and more often than not do not have many, if any, customisation options and its down to us to figure out how to do it an add more custom things that suit our needs or endless searches on the net for things to customise to our needs.

I'll kick it off with this....

A prime example is the Windows 10 Shell ( Win Explorer GUI ) it is completely crap, and unless you want ICON shortcuts spammed all over your desktop there isn't really a quick way to access everything you most commonly use, for some its ok as they just use it as a normal OS > games, internet, media watching, word processing etc.

My Win10 Desktop, Screenshot is from when I was showing someone how to extract PS1 game .BIN's back into folder structure, but you get the idea. (Only one of the 2 desktops is shown here)

ISO Buster Extract Files.png

This spamage, if you need to do it lol, can slow down response times, and loading time's on the Desktop on boot and login. Also it looks messy as hell...

The last good WinShell was XP Pro, Win Vista and Win7 which retained a lot of features and organisation that Vista had. Win8 was horrible and Win10 tried to go back to a classic style shell but failed on many accounts of organisation and only really did a good settings menu with most things in one place.

So I decided to do something about it, searching the net, and came up with this for both Desktop Screens I use... Custom Win10 Shell.

Custom_Win10_Shell_Dual_HDTV_19_40.png

[ Left Desktop Screen is a 19" HDTV w/ 1280 x 720p resolution @60Hz and the main desktop screen on the right is a 40" HDTV w/ 1920 x 1080p resolution @60Hz, ]

Icon spamage gone, and I can get to everything that was there just as quickly as before. Also make's getting to things when windows are open more easily as well with the top of screen tray instead of having to minimise full screen windows from apps etc all the time.

And also a desktop dock on the 2nd screen at the bottom. Its not finished yet, there are few more things I want to add the the 2nd desktop and customise some of the main desktop docks. Also add some more app and stuff to certain places for quick access.

This has a MacOS style Desktop shell with Custom Live info panels for certain things, most common shortcuts to used things. Explorer is still used for open windows and such, and the start menu can still be accessed by pressing the Windows key on the keyboard if I need it.

Apps used :

1. > Cairo ( Main Shell )
    2. > RainMeter ( Live info panels )
    3. > Rocket Dock ( Bottom of Desktop No.2 )

Computer OS
    : Windows 10 Home Edition

Feel free to post your custom GUI's for anything that use's a GUI... It will be interesting to see how other's customise things to there own style and needs.

I will add my Custom PS3 XMB, and Android GUI pics when they are finished.

2. 1,797
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Senior Member

Civil Engineer
    Home Page:
    This is my Win10 theme based on both Longhorn OS and Office 2010.

[​IMG]

I currently do not support it anymore since i don't have time and the new visual style tools

so i asked a theme dev to maintain it to newer versions ( i dunno if cleo stills update it) since every windows 10 build they mess with the msstyles, and every update the aeroglass8 stops working due to changes, so win10 is not worth to maintain

Cypher_CG89 likes this.
  3. 3,536
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Home Page:
    Looks pretty cool, very Vista/Win7 style. I take it that its a Win10 Theme and not a Shell (Explorer) replacement...? With a few nice widget.. If you turned that into a Shell replacement instead of a theme it would need updating so much to keep inline with Win10 updates...

There is one called Classic Shell which has now been turned open source on GitHub, I bet that could be used a good base to build from you could look into using..

Same as what I done really, it won't mess up when MS throw another update out there which they love to do on top of the 2x a year feature updates and constant security updates being thrown out there. most of the above is pre made skins and stuff with custom "tweeks". I do have full custom stuff to add graphically/shell wise but they are not done yet.