VITA / PsTV Make Whitelist Permanent Even After Coldboot

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by atreyu187, Sep 23, 2016.

1. 5,770
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    So Advance Whitelister using VitaRW can make the v1 whitelist permanent which is cool in itself but the dev hasn't added PSP & PSX support and doesn't seem to care to do so. Well if you are a PSTV user and going to dump a game using Vitamin or MaiDumpTool and the game isn't on the official whitelist and you didn't apply the mod prior to dumping once you open the game is it corrupt your game thus making you delete the bubble. Not a big deal if you already backed up your save data but if you didn't all that is washed down the drain. So I am here to tell you how to do this and make it permanent so you never have this issue as I did when dumping my Uncharted game which caused me to lose hours of game play. Here is what you will need to do this quick and easy mod.

Vita on 3.60 with HENkaku Enabled
    VitaShell 1.2
    Filezilla or any FTP client
    VitaRW
    Vita Game Save (not needed but always backup your saves just in case)
    Vita/PSP/PSX Whitelist Dat's (Note in this resource I also included how to for EML users, while not permanent wololo's automated service doesn't work due to Yahoo/GMail changing security protocol's so use GMX as your EML client)

Now we have all the needed files make sure all are installed and HENkaku is up and running. Once this is done simply run VitaRW and wait for the app to auto exit, take note this doesn't always happen but the app will still work. If it doesn't you will know as your FTP WILL FAIL. No biggie reboot, reanbale HENkaku and try again.

Once that is done unzip the DAT's I provided above for you all. Then start VitaShelll and connect via FTP. At this point we have FTP working, VitaRW working and our files ready for transfer. Now navigate to this directory.

Code:
    vs0:data/internal/launch/
    Then simply transfer list_launch_vita.dat & list_launch_emu.dat into this folder. It will ask if you want to overwrite. Just say yes. Once FTP is finished power off your system and without HENkaku enabled try a game that normally doesn't work without the whitelist hack, this can be Vita, PSP or PSX game. If it worked congrats you just bypassed Sony's stupid limitation and no need for HENkaku to launch them and no worries about corrupting your game or save when dumping your games for backup purposes. If not something went awry but fear not just try again making sure you follow these steps. You can't fuss up your Vita/PSTV as you can delete the ENTIRE vs0 and the system will still boot into safe mode and allow you to reinstall the 3.60 FW as os0 keeps a backup of all of your files so you can always go into recovery.

2. 11,980
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I'm going to install this tomorrow. I hate vita r/w though since it fails a lot at mounting the sensitive areas of the vita. I need to do a lot of work with my pstv. one thing I found was that if u overwrite the default icons on the live area, they'll be replaced by the original, default icons whenever u update. though, the far view (looking into a bubble folder, still shows the icons u overwrote back on 3.20.) I'll have to add the icons/theme back with my app.db. I still haven't installed adrenaline on the pstv (have on the vita), so I need to do many things. ;)

3. 11,980
    pinky

I've made my whitelist permanent as well as removed that stupid "now playing" screen. @atreyu187 , u made a mistake with ur custom whitelist download. look at what u've named the vita whitelist. it's list_launch_vita.dat, but u've named it launchlist_launch_vita.dat which is probably a typo. ;) I spotted that when transferring the files to vs0.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  4. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

I grabbed those files from wololo's EML site. Maybe that is why some couldn't get it to work when visiting there

pinky likes this.
  5. 11,980
    pinky

that makes sense. I wonder if wololo knows about the error? I've seen a member named that sign in every now and then...could be the admin?

6. 2,190
    Berion

Berion Developer

I have few questions:

1. What's the proper filenames? "launchlist_launch_*.dat" or "list_launch_*.dat"? Have someone test them (I haven't any PSV and PSX game ;])?

2. Have someone known what means list type and this strange GameID?
    Code:
    format_version:001
    list_type:b
    LVER00101
    3. If this is whitelist "v1", what is "v2" and "v3"?

4. If I drop whitelists files into "ur0:game/launch/", console will delete them in next boot? So instead I need them place here: "vs0:data/internal/launch/"? This is how I understand it. Is this correct?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  7. 11,980
    pinky

ur0 is the internal memory card. the proper file names r: list_launch_vita.dat and list_launch_emu.dat . there's a typo with the vita one.
    not sure about the game id. white list v2 is code execution in the app.db . there's no whitelist v3. there may be one day when we can circumvent the param.sfo flags. it kinda depends. I've seen a whitelist avoid being overwritten by power off the pstv , but I think it's a sure thing if u rebuild the database. that's correct, but u may also need to place them in ur0 . that seems to be where they're loaded from. I did both personally. I hope that helps clear some things up for u. enjoy, my friend. :)

Berion likes this.
  8. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    1- It's list_launch_*.dat but check the vs0:/ as it has the correct names there just official list.

2- If a GameID is on the list it will not launch.

3- It's an alternative to v1. Normally v1 after a hard power cycle gets wiped from the ur0:/ directory and upon boot transfers the dat from vs0:/ which normally is the blacklist that changes with every FW update since not every user can be connected to the net at all points in time giving them access to Sony's latest official list. This replaces that which comes with FW 3.60 with the custom v1 mr gas and Major Tom gave us which is nothing more then a blank dat file so nothing is blacklisted. So this can be called v1alt or v3 which is usually v1 and v2 applied at once or we can call it v4 which replaces the file on the NAND instead of the temp ur0:/ directory does it works without enabling HENkaku. Though some games still need v2 adv whitelist to work. Even then some refuse to boot. There is also another blacklist not sure where it is but it stops games like Spyro or Crash Bandicoot PS1 games from being seen by CMA client.

4- Once you power cycle the files in ur0:/ get replaced by vs0:/ which is supposed to be read only. But with HENkaku it's like PS3 dev_blind

Berion likes this.
  9. 2,190
    Berion

Berion Developer

@atreyu187 Thanks for explanation. Now I understand that "list_type:b" probably mean blacklists and the "LVER00101" is just scheme. I was thinking before that titles on the list are allowed titles to be booting.

@pinky "white list v2 is code execution in the app.db"
    Could You reveal more details about this?

10. 11,980
    pinky

yes, it basically changes the key and value types for all psv, psp, and ps1 games. the value is changed to gdc while I noticed that gda is for the default applications (email, content manager, etc.) and gdb seems to be used for homebrew. though, I did notice my borderlands 2 cart was also gdb. I'm not sure if gdc stands for debug or not. anyway, the key seems to instruct the game to ignore the param.sfo flag (not all of them, but most do). u can't install dlc and possibly updates with whitelist version 2 enabled, but it's not like it matters much, because if a game requires it, u wouldn't be able to play the game in the first place. ;) u just need to execute sql and hit the play button after copying and pasting the key and value changes.

Berion likes this.
  11. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    You can grab and dump DLC and updates prior to v2 whitelist. Since it can be enabled and disabled so easily it isn't really an issue. Even with v2 active you can still install DLC and updates that have been backed up just not from official Sony servers.

12. 11,980
    pinky

I don't understand how it can be fixed easily. the problem is that psv, psp, and ps1 games r converted to the gdc category. how can u differentiate them?

13. 11,980
    pinky

I don't mean to sound like a douche, but u negated my comment, so I'm intrigued. I'd really like to know how that can be done. one thing I've noticed is that the psp and psv use different icon0 types. the psp uses DDS on the vita while the psv uses png. I just checked, the ps one uses DDS as well. I'm intrigued by undoing the process. I'd have to check if my app.db is still using whitelist v2 first. ;)

Phil likes this.
  14. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    The v2 can install DLC and updates in zip form or VPK but not from Sony. So remove v2 whitelist, grab the DLC and updates and backup via Mai then install the backed up game and DLC/UPDATE and they will work. V1 doesn't make any app.db changes so you can still grab legit DLC/UPDATES

pinky likes this.
  15. 11,980
    pinky

my friend installed this without issue. he's not a member of psx-place, but he used ur tutorial. :)

16. 2,190
    Berion

Berion Developer

I've replaced lists on VS0. Some games start working but some still doesn't. There is no workaround this yet? Or I'm doing something wrong?

17. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Your not doing anything wrong just some games still don't boot with v1 of the whitelist. You can still apply v2 but that blocks updated and ability to add any new DLC via CMA/PSN though we don't have to worry about PSN ATM

Berion and STLcardsWS like this.
  18. 11,980
    pinky

what I'm curious about is how to undo whitelist 2. u can make a command to rename the gdc category ids back to original, but there r three different category ids they could be. how r u supposed to differentiate between the three with an sqlite command?

19. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    If your installing DLC or updates via Mai or VPK you can keep v2 installed and they will still work fine. It's only official updates and DLC that is still encrypted that don't work. So you can use Advanced Whitelister v2 to remove it, install official updates and DLC. Then reapply the hack and they will work fine. Tedious but still works

20. 11,980
    pinky

don't u have to rebuild the database to fix whitelist v 2 or to remove I mean?