MakePS3ISO or GenPS3ISO

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by pinky, Jul 12, 2019.

1. 11,164
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

which one of these are the most compatible? I've never bothered with isos before, but I made an iso with both of these apps, and the backups worked. should I use ps3 iso rebuilder? the fact that there's no update folder/update makes the ird verification fail, so I'm forced to use genps3iso without ird. also, not sure what's going on here, but there was no artwork for the game until I refreshed and restarted the system several times.

2. 2,538
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    "makeps3iso" has the highest compatability rate compared to "genps3iso" though most of the time you can just use gen and it works, it's just small pertentage of games its doesn't work with but to be safe use make and you should be fine.

Use Rudi's PS3 ISO Tools v2.2 if doing it on PC and IRISMAN if doing it on PS3 as it use's "makeps3iso"

Algol and pinky like this.
  3. 11,164
    pinky

hmm...I haven't messed with cobra stuff for years. I found that ps3 iso tools 2.2 seemed to be using an older version of makeiso according to a post I found by @sandungas , so I replaced it with the most current one I could find. that iso worked without a problem. in fact, all three isos I've made have worked, so I wasn't sure if make/gen were close enough. what happens if a game isn't compatible? black screen? crash? doesn't show up on the xmb? also, how exactly are you supposed to use ird with makeps3iso in rudi's tools? ps3 iso rebuilder forces you to use genps3iso if you're working without an ird, but there doesn't seem to be around it, 'cause it detects the update folder as being missing, therefore it's unverified. are you just supposed to ignore that error?

4. 5,035
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

There are 2 ways to use an IRD file
    You can use it to make a MD5 hash check of the files for verification purposes, and after that make the ISO with any tool unencrypted
    Or you can use the IRD to make an encrypted ISO
    Unencrypted ISOs are better... just because there is no need to add a encryption layer, by not encrypting them everything is easyer

And the ISOs produced by the different ISO tools are different.. some tools have small bugs, other have horrible bugs, but only affects a few games, so you will not notice the differences unless you try to make an ISO of that problematic games

5. 2,060
    Berion

Berion Developer

What titles are problematic and what kinds of problems user would face? There is any list of issues?

BTW: Encrypted images cannot be used on PS3 because none of the plugins/bm's mounting them. ;)

pinky likes this.
  6. 11,164
    pinky

hmm, so what do you guys suggest I use to make the iso? ps3 iso rebuilder seems to be good. I saw a post where it said makeps3iso was recommended. however, what I don't understand is how you can make a good 1:1 copy if the ird even counts on the ps3 update folder/file. when that happens, it tries to force you to use genps3iso. and, with rudi's tools, I don't see an option to use an ird for verification. it does have an option to skip over the update. if the game boots, does that mean it was a successful conversion? I mean I don't want the game to crash at some point in the game. I'm also not sure why the artwork for the game didn't appear until I reset and refreshed wmm a couple times. I do remember that wmm often getting its artwork from multiman's artwork directory, but I don't have mm installed, so I don't know where it got the artwork this time unless wmm has some huge repository. the ps3iso folder contains no artwork, yet artwork (i.e. icon) still exists. is it getting that the icon0.png? if so, why wasn't it showing up for several moments (Instead having just a blank disc icon)?

7. 5,602
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Actually they can be used now aldos added support with the latest webMAN mod.

8. 11,164
    pinky

so should I use ps3 iso rebuilder with genps3iso or rudi's tools with makeps3iso? every iso I've made has worked, but I don't know if a bad conversion would cause the game to crash at some point, possibly losing save progress or resulting in a corrupted save.

9. 2,538
    Cypher_CG89

My moto is "better safe than sorry" so I use Rudi's PS3 ISO Tools. And I did the same as you and manually upadated the makeps3iso.exe to the latest one, I do this for all tools really.

As for IRDs you could use ManaGunZ on your PS3 to check them. I use this for checking the IRD no matter which way I convert my games ISO or JB folder, though I tend to use PC to convert to ISO than IRISMAN as it makes it easier to add custom game posters and game icons to the ISO, then when ManaGunZ flags up the changed files in the IRD check I know its the ones that I changed and aything else should be looked into.

Though as @sandungas says the games that cause issues are only about a handfull of them so most of the time you will not notice unitl you actually try that game.

@Berion
    I cannot remember off the top of my head what games they are, Its only a small percentage of games. As for what can happen... well game won't boot (Black Screen), crash the PS3 the usual sort of things that happen when game is a bad rip really as far as I can remember.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    pinky likes this.
  10. 11,164
    pinky

wouldn't all ird files show that the game(s) is/are incomplete, because it recognizes the absence of the ps3 update folder. it will create the folder, but since the pup isn't present, it will fail verification. how exactly is that supposed to work? rudi's tool lets you ignore it, but I found no way to compare to an ird.

11. 2,538
    Cypher_CG89

ManaGunZ goes through them file by file in real time displaying them on the screen for you as it checks each file of the game.

eg:

gamefile1.IPAK = OK
    ICON0.PNG = NOT OK or Changed

So in my case it fails the ICON0.PNG, PIC1.PNG ( and whatever else I customise) and the PS3_UPDATE folder but I know these are changed and missing because I did that, its all the other main game file am bothered about.

Then at the end it should list all the file's that are different to the original IRD.

pinky likes this.
  12. 2,538
    Cypher_CG89

ManaGunZ really is an amazing AIO backup manager for PS3, it can do things you normally need a PC for. You can also mess about with RCOs with it. Its a Backup Manager on Steriods.....

@Zar should make a PC version of this with even more features and tools for desktop use with PS3.

pinky likes this.
  13. 11,164
    pinky

yes, the update folder/file was the only thing it said was missing or it said was bad. however, if the ird fails, you cannot create an iso based on it. the only option available is create iso without ird, which uses genps3iso. and, with rudi's tool, I was unable to find a way to check the ird. however, it does have the option to skip over the update folder.

right now, I'm running everything from the xmb. I was going to use just packages, since I don't intend on using an external hdd again (not after the two connected to the system failed), so I have that one iso in the PS3ISO folder on the internal hdd. the isos I made with genps3iso and makeps3iso work, so I'm not sure where to go from here. the problematic games - do they even boot up? I don't want to assume that since it actually made it to the title screen that the game is alright, especially if it causes some sort of save corruption in case the game itself is corrupt in some way.

14. 345
    ayassinsayed

ayassinsayed Member

So which program safe can i use on PC genps3 or makeps3 to make iso game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 11,164
    pinky

so far I haven't noticed a difference except that ps3 iso rebuilder forces you to use genps3iso if the ird doesn't check out. and, the ird counts the system update file, so I'd imagine it would almost always be wrong. I mean most people delete that, don't they?

16. 2,060
    Berion

Berion Developer

@pinky This application is GUI for various of tools, included makeps3iso and genpps3iso. ;)

@atreyu187 Oh! That's awesome news! So now we can just make proper *.iso directly from Blu-Ray drive on PC and just transfer to the console? If yes, I'm waiting for this feature for ages!

@ayassinsayed I've always uses makeps3iso and never found any problems. Just drag and drop folder with game to the executable, so not even need to typing anything in CMD.

ayassinsayed likes this.
  17. 2,538
    Cypher_CG89

If people wanted to be really fuusy and make sure the ISO is 100% OK then use " Disc Image Generator " to build a MASTER ISO image of the disc.

Basically its the ISO and Disc image that games devs create when making the game. This ISO is tested then used to burn to a MASTER Disc that is then used by the Pulisher to copy and distribute.

This is a much more complicated way to do this but is very complete as at the end of "Building the ISO" you can then verify the ISO to make sure it is as it should be for PS3. Plus this tool can be sued to "Burn" your ISO image to disc or just burn directly to disc without making the ISO thus creating a MASTER Disc.

It supports DVD5, DVD9, BD25, BD50 Discs and supports UFD1.x, UFD2.x, LV3, Joliet and ISO 9660 file system.

Just IRD check your JB folder rip first, but it will show any errors created when building or Bruning the Disc image.

This is another tool I use on PC for making ISO's BUT is only included in the SDK......

18. 11,164
    pinky

ps3 iso rebuilder can use makeps3iso? 'cause I didn't see that anywhere, unless it's the default option with having used the ird? the problem is that that option is greyed out, because the update folder/file will be missing from my rip.

edit: btw, I forgot to mention that the missing update appears red. shouldn't it be white (i.e. a not needed file) unless there's something up with the ird? the game in question is 3d dot game heroes.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019