Many questions: Custom Kernel? Android? Bootloader? etc.

Discussion in 'PlayStation Classic (Mini-Console)' started by TnA, Jan 24, 2019.

1. 1,060
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

So... What do you think about kernel-mods?
    Are they possible, feasible and would yield any benefits?

What do you guys think about 'overclocking'; 'active cooling'; 'Android on PSC' + 'Multiboot'; unlocking additional things (WiFi, BT, GPS, etc.) and so on?!

Which Bootloader does it have, Btw.?

Why does BleemSync not entirely boot from USB?
    What does it change internally?

Ideas for further hacking?

2. 5,808
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

BleemSync adds NTFS support, exFAT, FTP and more. It has to patch internal system files to allow for this. I myself only installed it to change all the PAL games (except GTA 2 as the NTSC is censored) and you can update the internal emulator as well.

It makes for a nice little kit for the price. We get CPS3, Naomi 1 & 2 as well at Atomiswave support with it. It's nice being able to play Zero Gunner and Gunbird in their arcade ports.

The system also handles N64 and Dreamcast to some degree. Most 3D heavy games lag but using the customized Xtreme cores makes most games I want playable.

Then the system handles PPSSPP really well even games like FFVII Crisis Core and 3rd Birthday are flawless. PSP really shines on the system.

Then there is a port of the DraStic closed source emulator that is being ported as the dev has been nice enough to give the closed source out to devs to port and unlike the Android version this is free. All NDS games are supported even games with the mic. I was able to run all the Castlevania games on the system flawlessly as well as Mario Kart and other AAA titles without a hitch. I'm going to be giving the system some love around here as for $25-$30 you really can not beat it.

Algol likes this.
  3. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

sadly in my area they're still at least 60eu and there's no second hand options as no one brought them because they were even pricier.i think that's also the case in all of the smaller markets.

4. 1,060
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Well, so I did answer my questions during some research about it 4 months ago.

BleemSync installs a custom Payload to support more USB-Devices and the other features like other Filesystems, etc.
    It's not doing a Kernel-Mod AFAIK.

OTG-Support in BleemSync 1.1 is the first custom/modified Kernel. I hope WiFi (at best not via an external dongle, but for the SoC!), BT (~) and GPS can be activated/supported/used as well in the future!

Linux-Shell already runs as well!

Retroarch works quite good as well! DraStic (NDS) and PPSSPP are good!
    Dreamcast is being worked on! I am not sure how well stuff like N64 or Saturn would work, tho'.

atreyu187 likes this.
  5. 5,808
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Well the variants of N64 cores and builds makes a good majority of games playable. I have made rips of DC games shrinking the bloated video as some are a higher bitrate then DVD so it made huge improvements in playback. As well as with Soul Calibur making a "mock" stereo image where it reads only from one channel instead of two really helps with that game. There are quiet a few tricks but really makes overall compatibility much better. Really been enjoying Atomiswave and Naomi 1/2 games as well.

6. 1,060
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

I will try those (Atomiswave,Naomi1/2 and N64-cores) as well.

7. 5,808
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

You have to convert Atomiswave games to Naomi format. All the tools to do so are in the amazing "Xtreme" core sets. There is one for standard, Xtreme, accuracy and one for Arcade. If you haven't tried those cores yet I highly suggest you do. I only installed BleemSync for the upgrades but use RetroBoot. I switch to BleemSync now off and on when I want NDS compatibility. Who knows they may have found a way to use it outside of BleemSync now. I am still on the private BETA of DraStic

8. 1,060
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

I bought DraStic (not the Demo) quite a short time after it's release at the first price-drop to around 6-6.50€ or so! That was in 2012/2013 or so, haha.

Back then Exo just added support for CPUs which were not supporting NEON, which was one of my biggest wishes (so I could use it on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1)!

I wrote quite a bit with him back in the days and made some emulation-performance-related suggestions.

He's a great resource and helped me learning a lot about emulation. In fact some of his knowledge is still of help with one of my looong-term-projects, lol.

atreyu187 likes this.
  9. 5,808
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Yeah he is a good dude and the fact he trusted his source code to be ported for the Mini systems for free we pretty nice of him. Devs like that are amazing to have around.

TnA likes this.
  10. 1,060
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Definitely a cool dude... He wasn't really convinced about the non-NEON-CPU-Support in the beginning. I might have convinced him otherwise, haha! :)

Back on track, the PS Classic probably will have a Linux or even an Android-Port within this year! Awesome!