PS3 Mechanics behind late slim models unable to CFW?

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by JordanD, Jul 11, 2019.

1. 4
    JordanD

JordanD Forum Noob

Hello everyone on the forum, I've been snooping for a while but had to make an account to ask a question bothering me, I cant find much on this.

Does anyone know the reason the newer slims brick trying to CFW them with the new method? I have a chech-3xxx slim however I remember back in the days of Modern Warfare 2 having CFW on it (even have comgenies file manager left on it unusable from going back to ofw) so this console must have had at one point access to 3.55

If its simply because the newer ones never had 3.55, I'd be willing to risk a brick to try it, obviously if there's something different with hardware or flashing, ect. that prevents CFW from this new method then there's no point bothering.

Next on the agenda is to go back to the console and put minverchk on it to make sure I'm not remembering wrong, but I'm adamant I had CFW on it and I checked last night it was a chech- 3 slim

2. 2,538
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Impossible... the only way this could happen is if it was referbed with an older MB or the case/Shell was damaged and swapped. There is no way you had CFW on a CECH3000 model Slim.

IF you want to brick your PS3 go right ahead and try and install CFW on it, no matter what method you use it will brick it.

This is because after FW version 3.56 [email protected] changed the metldr hardware to metldr2 on all future PS3's from CECH2500 with date code 1A , ALL CECH3000 and ALL CECH4000's.

Also because we dont have the private keys used by [email protected] after 3.55 , only public ones so we cannot istall CFW on console that have a minium FW version of 3.56. And trying to crack these keys would be next to impossible as the encryption used (ECDSA) has never been cracked when fully implimented properly.

ntodek and Coldheart2236 like this.
  3. 11,164
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

3.55 has nothing to do with it. it's due to the metldr's key being cracked.

4. 4
    JordanD

JordanD Forum Noob

I knew I wasnt going mad! (Pics inserted)

So say by some freak exception this did have 3.55 from the get go, it wouldn't be the version that is the problem but the security used. So even if it started off with 3.55 it potentially has the new metldr system and is thus unable to have CFW (I'm not saying this is the case, I'm assuming it might be possible. Admittedly it doesn't make sense because there were versions before this of the slim that are unable to CFW, so why would mine be the middle ground?)

(I would have said refurb or repair but I remember buying it brand new to replace a phat with broken blu ray. I'm very confused about this whole setup.)

Attached Files:

5. 945
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

If the MinVerChk result is 3.56 or less, then metldr2 is not active and the console is compatible with CFW. From your XMB screenshot it looks as if you have CFW, so as Cypher says it could be a refurb with an older motherboard or a 3k shell used on a 2k slim.

Running MinVerChk will tell you definitively which firmware version your PS3 originally had.

6. 4
    JordanD

JordanD Forum Noob

Seems as though I've made a mistake somewhere.. minverchk.pup shows minimum firmware of 3.66, so that's shut down all chance of getting CFW. Guess I'll have to stick with HEN. God knows how comgenie's file manager got there then.

7. 945
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

There are other tests you can perform to determine whether it has CFW. Do you have Package Manager in the Game column of the XMB? Which firmware version are you using? If you're on CFW, you would be able to install another CFW over it with System Update from USB. If on OFW, you'd get a 'data corrupt' error at some point during the install process due to it being modified code on an unmodified system.

Quite the mystery :)

8. 11,164
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

comgenie is very old and not needed anymore. just use a backup manager.

9. 7,517
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    You can install any homebrew on any ps3 without HEN. Problem is that you can't run it without HEN.

10. 3
    luckyvilla79

luckyvilla79 Member

I been jailbreaking for about 15 years in last time I checked the only models you can jailbreak is under 3.55.
    • 20XX
    • 21XX
    • Some 25XX models
    Unsupported Models (cannot be downgraded to 3.56 or below) of PS3 Slim/Super Slim:
    • Some 25XX Models
    • 3XXX
    • 4XXXA
    • 4XXXB
    • 4XXXC
    • Or if you work for PlayStation lol :) hahahahahahahahaha hold up hahahahahahahahahaha got to go in brick my PS3 whaaaaat
    • Oh I forgot Or if your a hacker lol what’s that

11. 2,538
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    3.56 and below is jailbreakable.

Normally is CECH2500 with and after date code 1A or September 2010 if it has a manufacturing date instead of a date code.

At least now these models now have PS3HEN to run homebrew and give some CFW type functionality which is really a great miles stone to hit after all these years people with these models PS3s that have hand nothing but ODE and I think that stopped getting updated ages ago.

12. 100
    Coro

Coro Member

i think someone used data tranfer from a cfw to this one but forgot to delete homebrew after. that would explain what i see in the pics.

13. 5,602
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Yup that will do it as well.

14. 370
    Md Hesam

Md Hesam Member

Home Page:
    ps3 always quick dead minimum 1-2 years but hp laptop long lasting life atleast 10 years

15. 527
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

Laptop and PS3 are two different things, baiya...