PS News Meet "Blu-Play" - A Development Platform for creating Homebrew Games running on OFW!

Discussion in 'THE FEED (Submit/View News)' started by Roxanne, Jan 11, 2020.

By Roxanne on Jan 11, 2020 at 6:44 PM
  1. 477
    Roxanne

Roxanne Moderator

Home Page:
    There are a lot of Homebrew Apps as well as self-made Homebrew Games for various Consoles outside. But when creating Homebrew, there is always the question how to release it, so most Users can take profit of it. Sure you already saw how you was able to run your favourite Homebrew on a Console with a Custom Firmware installed or it was usable by running a Kernel Exploit before that. This meant that you were always forced to use a specific System Firmware which won't allow you to use them on the newest Original Firmware (OFW) these days. But did you know that there is actually a possibility to enjoy Homebrew Games while being on the latest System Firmware for having the "Best of Both Worlds"? The "Magic Trick" is using BD-J - or Blu-ray Disc Java in long terms - as a Platform Language, which is already in use when you play a common Movie bought as a pressed Blu-ray Disc (especially for many Menu Titles of each Movie). And since both the PS3 and PS4 also supports Blu-Ray Movie Disc Playback, you can be assured that this Feature won't be patch in the next few years! :) With all this in mind, Developer mr_lou (crediting his Games as LuBlu Entertainment) thought about not only to create his own Homebrew Games using BD-J (he is specialized in creating older Console Generation Games kinda as a "Homebrew Remake"), but also welcome you by offering you a whole Platform so you can "Getting Started" by creating you own Homebrew Game as well! How cool is that?​

Blu Play.png
    In-Game Screenshot from the newest Entry in BD-J Homebrew: "The UFO Game!"

• What is Blu-Play?

In short, Blu-Play is a term used by the homebrew community of game-developers to categorise "Small-scale homebrew games for your PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One game console", using a technology that makes it possible to run the same disc on all 3 consoles - without doing any hacking or modding whatsoever.

In contrast to big expensive mainstream full-blown 3D games released by the big game-companies, Blu-Play games will always be much smaller cosy 2D games developed by a single individual, or a small group of enthusiastic hobbyists.

Blu-Play games will mostly be completely free to download and play, but there may also be developers who'll ask for a fair price for their games.

The technology used to create Blu-Play games has been around since 2003. It's called Blu-ray Disc Java, often referred to as JavaME BD-J. All Blu-ray players run BD-J as part of the Blu-ray specification, which in turn means that PS3, PS4 and XB1 all run Java games simply because they all feature a Blu-ray player. The whole idea with BD-J was exactly to offer games (among other things) on Blu-ray players.

In other words: Your console was designed for this!

• Blu-Play games can be played on quite a lot of different platforms (depending on the complexity of the game) - from the very same disc / ISO file. Here's a quick overview of these platforms, along with short instructions on how to get going.

The primary target of Blu-Play games are the gaming consoles. Blu-Play games will (generally) run on any game console that comes with a blu-ray drive. These consoles are:

• PlayStation 3
      • PlayStation 4
      • Xbox One

To run the game on one of these game consoles, you must burn the ISO file onto a disc. For the PlayStation consoles, it has to be a BD-R or BD-RE disc, so you need a Blu-ray burner. For the Xbox One consoles you can settle for a DVD, so you need a DVD burner. (This of course requires that the ISO is small enough to fit on a DVD - but most Blu-Play games should match that criteria).

Then simply insert the disc into the disc drive of the console. If the game doesn't automatically start up, then you should be able to find and start it from the Video section.

If you happen to have a jailbroken PlayStation, you can also run the Blu-Play game from harddisk by mounting the ISO with webMAN or multiMAN from the BDISO folder.

• Ukko's Journey

A Blu-Play version of the JavaME cellphone game from 2009 by LuBlu Entertainment.

The UFO Game!

The 2nd Blu-Play game from LuBlu Entertainment can be considered a kind of remake of the 38 year old game
      "Satellite Attack" for the Philips Videopac G7000 (or "UFO!" for the Magnavox Odyssey2).

• Does running Blu-Play games require me to mod or hack or exploit my console?
      No. Absolutely no modding or hacking is necessary to run Blu-Play games. Your console was designed for this!

(There is an advantage in owning a jailbroken PS3 though, because it lets you run Blu-Play games from harddisk, which means you don't need to burn a disc. But that is not related specifically to Blu-Play).

What platforms does Blu-Play games run on?
      In short: All platforms that feature a Blu-ray player. See Platforms for a detailed overview.

How do I run a Blu-Play game on my PlayStation 3 / PlayStation 4?
      You download the ISO, burn it to a BD-R or BD-RE and pop it in the discdrive.

If your PlayStation is rooted, you can also simply copy the ISO to the harddisk and mount it with webMAN or multiMAN from the BDISO folder.

How do I run a Blu-Play game on my Xbox One?
      You download the ISO, burn it to a DVD or BD-R or BD-RE and pop it in the discdrive.

• Why would anyone wanna create a Blu-Play game?
      If you like Java, have an interest in homebrew game development on limited restricted platforms, and would love to see your game run on these game consoles - without needing to hack or mod anything, then Blu-ray Disc Java (BD-J) is exactly what you want!

Do I need a license to create Blu-Play games?
      No. Anyone can write a Blu-Play game. And you are encouraged to use the Blu-Play logo for any Blu-ray Disc Java game you make.

If you wish to use the Blu-ray Disc logo though, then you need to sign a Logo License Agreement (LLA) with The Blu-ray Disc Association. But there's really no need to have the Blu-ray Disc logo on your disc. If you absolutely feel the need to indicate that it's a Blu-ray disc, then you are allowed to put "Blu-ray Disc™" (More info).

What do I need to create a Blu-Play game?
      Apart from Java programming skills, you need the BDJ.jar file to compile against. This BDJ.jar file has been put together by multiple Java stubs from different companies. Proper protocol dictates that you're supposed to download these stubs from various sites, and create your own BDJ.jar file. Unfortunately this is no longer possible, because many of the stubs seems to have vanished from the Internet over the years.

Tom has managed to find some of them in newer times, and he wrote a guide here on how to obtain them. But 3 of them are still missing.

Luckily the BDJ.jar file can be obtained from other places as well, such as the Minimal SDK from the tools and links section. It can also be found bundled with software media players such as PowerDVD.

Do I need a license to sell my Blu-Play games?
      No. It is your property, and you can do with it as you see fit. Just as if you had recorded your guitar skills on a CD. Or if you were a wedding photographer selling your work on a DVD or Blu-ray Disc.

Do I need to pay anything at all to do this?
      Well, you need to pay for whatever books you wanna study, and whatever equipment you want.

What platforms does Blu-Play games run on?
      In short: All platforms that feature a Blu-ray player. See Platforms for a detailed overview.

Where can I find help with development?
      Check the links in the tools and links section. Visit the community forum. Join the chat.

Of course, if you have a "Jailbroken" PS3, you can just copy the .ISO-Image with your favourite File Manager onto your internal Harddrive, so you won't need to burn the .ISO-Image onto a blank Blu-ray Disc. But even if not, there is no need to worry since Developer mr_lou designed his Games not only to make them playable with multiple Consoles. In fact if you have still doubts, you can even test his Games with your Browser on your PC, as you can learn more about here!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    jeka26, dazzaXx, atreyu187 and 11 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'THE FEED (Submit/View News)' started by Roxanne, Jan 11, 2020.

1. larry12222
      larry12222
      amazing homebrew:D
      Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2020
    2. STLcardsWS
    3. NiHuShu
      NiHuShu
      Also, it's worth mentioning that there were a few emulators created for BD-J
      Xx11xx22xX and Linux-Lord like this.
    4. atreyu187
      atreyu187
      I have had Ukko's Journey for quite some time. Is this any different? I just use BDISO and Cobra to mount and play but from what I understand it could always be burned and played. Just wondering if this has any new features? Either way it's nice to see this being revived in a sense. Been on the fence on buying a BD-R drive. This may be the thing that pushes me to bite the bullet. Media has went down a lot over the years and become more reliable. And with the new "hack" that's to be talked about later this year I think it's a prime time to get one.
    5. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      Same one from the past i believe.
      The UFO game was the new one
    6. Roxanne
      Roxanne
      It's the same Version.

Both PS3 and PS4 requires to "burn" the Games onto a BD-R/RE at minimum. On a CD-R or DVD-R won't work due to the Software Limitations from the BD Player App. The PS3 supported burning on a CD-R/DVD-R (as an AVCHD-Disc) as well on a lower Firmware but can't remember now when they "patched" this (must be something around System Firmware 2.50).

On the other hand. The Xbox One supports all Games on a CD-R and DVD-R as well as standard BD-R's (tested by me). Sadly it can happen that specific Games won't work properly or slower. :(
    7. Louay
      Louay
      Burned Optical Drive are Supported in Cobra CFW
    8. Roxanne
      Roxanne
      I spoke about OFW, which is the Main Goal from this Platform!
    9. Louay
      Louay
      i misunderstand :/