VITA / PsTV MODORU (2.0v) - PSVITA/PSTV - Downgrader (3.65-3.72) - By TheFl0w/SKGleba

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by Naked_Snake1995, Sep 3, 2019.

1. 1,748
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Great news for the PlayStation Vita scene, as not only this week developer The_Flow, just made a comeback with the developer's newest release to the community, H-Encore² for the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV (Vita TV) provides user's with the amazing ability to exceute Homebrew on your device with supported Firmwares up to 3.72. An incredible achievement that includes additional details below for executing this on your device, in addition to the H-Encore², in addition last week the developer SKGleba, released a Plugin for Modoru, dubbed DECSECLDR (Lite), which brings Modoru Downgrading Compatibility to Firmwares 3.71 and 3.72, now SKGleba, updated TheFl0w´s MODORU (2.0) to make the process easier and more reliable, now Downgrading from 3.71/3.72 no longer requires DECSECLDR (Lite).

Downgrade Note: Before Downgrading, is recommended that you have at least 50% Battery, uninstall any Plugins and remove IMCUnlock "Downgrading to 2.10" and SD2VITA, on the PCH-1000 use an official Memory Card and on PCH-2000/VTE-1000 use the internal 1Gb Storage.

How To Install?

• Obtain the PSP2UPDAT.PUP file of your desired firmware (make sure that this firmware is officially hackable) and place it at ux0:app/MODORU000/PSP2UPDAT.PUP (don't install modoru.vpk afterwards, otherwise the update file will be removed).

• Disable all your plugins "Easiest way is renaming ux0:tai and ur0:tai to some other name".

• Reboot your device and relaunch HENkaku/H-Encore/H-Encore²
    • Launch the MODORU application from the LiveArea and follow the instructions on screen.
    • Enjoy the installation and welcome to your favourite firmware.
    FAQ:

• Q: Where can I find and download firmwares?
        A: Here is a nice collection by darthsternie: PS Vita Firmwares. Make sure you download the firmware from the Complete Official Firmwares section.

• Q: There are 3 different PUP files in the archive, which one do I need?
        A: There are packages with (pre), (systemdata) and (full). You should choose the full one.

• Q: My factory firmware is higher than 3.65 and modoru doesn't allow me to downgrade to 3.60/3.65.
      • A: Unfortunately, there are some devices with factory firmware above 3.65. These cannot be downgraded, this means you´ll have to use a firmware higher than 3.65.

• Q: Can I downgrade my device to 3.60/3.65 and then install ensō?
        A: Yes, that's the main goal of this tool.

• Q: Can I downgrade my testkit/devkit?
        A: It has not been tested yet, but you can very likely do it. You should even be able to go lower than firmware 1.692, which is officially inhibited.

• Q: How low can I downgrade?
        A: You can go down to your factory firmware (this is highlighted in yellow within modoru).

• Q: Can I use this tool to update or reinstall my firmware?
        A: Yes, you can downgrade, update or reinstall any firmware using this tool.

• Q: Is there a chance of bricking?
        A: Not likely, since this application is using the official updater and only makes a few harmless patches to bypass some checks.

Donation:

• via bitcoin 361jRJtjppd2iyaAhBGjf9GUCWnunxtZ49
    Thank you! "TheFl0w"

Credits:

• Thanks to Freakler for the LiveArea design.
      • Thanks to liblor for the name suggestion.
      • Thanks to yifanlu for prior research on downgrading.
      • Thanks to molecule for SCE decryption utilities.
      • Thanks to SKGleba for betatesting.

2019-09-02-233718.png

Louis Garry and Fin9ersMcGee like this.
  2. 12,157
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I have install packages on my vita and pstv. I believe SKGleba is the dev behind it. install packages was usable on earlier firmware without having to modify it, but sony put an end to that, so you had to use uri caller to call the function. kinda a pita on IDU mode.

you can install packages through qcma and its packages folder. or, they could be in a location named "root." I read that "root" doesn't exist for retail systems. I don't know if that's true. it could be talking about the bgdl folder, which is where packages normally go to be installed. maybe @atreyu187 knows?

3. 12,157
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

looks like I was remembering the official pkg installer, which looks different inside.

here's what SKGleba's looks like:

[​IMG]

4. 4
    Spendy42

Spendy42 Forum Noob

I used this guide never had an issue modding Vita or other consoles and now seems like I have bricked my console. Did all the steps it was installing 3.65 and then kept saying cant update etc. Going into system recovery and then trying to update via pc and it says I am currently using the latest software so am stuck with a brand new Paperweight. Any ideas? Will i get the same message if I try and update via a PS3? ( I can borrow one tomorrow)

5. 1,748
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    There are 2 Versions of MODORU, the 1.0 its only compatible with 3.60 to 3.70, the Version 2.0 which is compatible with 3.71 and 3.72.

By stating, it stopped upon downgrading to 3.65, you probably used the incorrect version, more likely the 1.0,to remedy this, update the console to 3.71 or 3.72 from QCMA and Recovery Mode, dont forget to put QCMA on Firmware Version 3.72 or else you cant re-install your firmware.

6. 4
    Spendy42

Spendy42 Forum Noob

Sorry I should have said I used version 2 and I cannot get QCMA to re install the 3.72 I have followed all the steps changing it custom and then putting 03.720.000 in the custome PS Vita Version and then the update 3.72 in the update folder of QCMA. All it says is system is already using the latest software its not even letting me reinstall it. So not looking good.

7. 1,748
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    So you installed it through Recovery Options, it doesn't look good indeed, people used to unbrick they're systems the exact same way when they downgrade it from 3.72 with Modoru 1.0,simply by inserting the Custom Version to 3.72.

Why don't you try to set the Custom Version to 3.73 and try again, that's 3.73.00 on the QCMA,you can also try 9.99.00

I downgraded mine from 3.71 when a little cousin of my brother, accidentally update it to 3.71,but i was using the first iteration of Modoru with the DECSECLDR Plug-In, that was 2 days after he Posted the Modoru Update,but knowing SKGleba, he has a tendency to be known as the Certificated PSVITA Bricker, due to high brick rates through his Homebrew, specialy Enso_Ex and IMCUnlock,but i doubt Modoru 2.0 caused any problems,ill make a quick search,on some recent reports.

Update: Modoru 2.0 still live at SKGleba GitHub, so far no issues reported.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  8. 2,256
    Berion

Berion Developer

@Naked_Snake1995 The reason why peoples bricking consoles using his applications is only lack of patience to RTFM. ;) Tools which messing with internal fs and/or partition tables are not safe from the nature of this kind of things. His apps are 100% safe if You know what are You doing and understand operations which will be make.

However, he should try to make them more idiotproof as most of the end users doesn't understand what they doing and read nothing about the console and tools. This is different kind of philosophy than today, let's say, standards. In western world we have warnings on coffee cups to pay attention that warm coffee could make burns (it is ridiculous but, oh well...). In eastern world, peoples are lost to themself to analyse the world around them or they could have problems in long term to hand over their genes. ;) I hope You understand my compare.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  9. 1,748
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    I am not saying SKGleba is bricking every console out there, he makes great Homebrew thats no denying it, specially the Molecule Boot Logo, which saved my bacon, more times that i can count, he has a few Homebrew which are a bit buggy, but he admits that, and improves in the next version.

I do have to agree with people, not paying attention and jumping the gun to early, specialy with Homebrew for the designed firmware, running it on incompatible versions, and thus blaming him for the damage, when in reality, that's not is burden to take.

I truly understand your statement, brat

Berion likes this.
  10. 4
    Spendy42

Spendy42 Forum Noob

I didnt install anything from recovery, I was in the menu stating it was going to downgrade from 3.72 to 3.65 i pressed x to confirm and after a while of installing it said it cant update and then all i got was a black screen with a green power light.

The only reason for trying recovery was to reinstall 3.72. the steps were simple to follow I have hacked wii, PSP, Wii U, PS3 and vitas before but never downgraded but it seemed simple enough after following a guide.

Is there a modified 3.72 update? i assume I will just have to stick it on ebay for parts and try again If I cant figure it out.

11. 4
    Spendy42

Spendy42 Forum Noob

All sorted, managed to remove files from back up on QCMA and then it let me reinstall 3.72 very relieved

12. 208
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

Once on 3.65 can we downgrade to 3.60 using Modoru v1 ?

13. 1,748
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Modoru 1.0 works with firmwares 3.60 to 3.70, that includes 3.65/3.67/3.68/3.69.

For Firmware 3.71 and 3.72 use Modoru 2.0

Downgrade to 3.60 can be preformed with Modoru 1.0 or 2.0 straight from the consoles current firmware, there is no step-firmware restriction.

Ex: Downgrading from 3.72 to 3.60,can be done without downgrading to 3.65 first.

arcadekidflo likes this.
  14. 1
    Josh Morales

Josh Morales Forum Noob

Does it really take a long time to downgrade? or i'm stuck? i'm at the systemupdate screen saying "Please wait.." for over 5 hours yesterday until my Battery died. or did I do something wrong. please help. Current firmware version is 3.72 trying to downgrade to 3.65. Thanks!!

15. 48
    bucanero

bucanero Member

Home Page:
    no, it doesn't take 5 hours. The whole process should be done in less than 30 minutes.
    Something went wrong, for sure.

I'd suggest to re-check every step in the guide, and try again.
    Also, as an alternative, you can try the older method using Modoru 1.0 and the DECSECLDR plugin.