Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

Multi-Disc PSX games on HEN?

Discussion in 'PS3HEN (nonCFW PS3 Models)' started by Major_Pothead92, Jun 9, 2019.

1. 283
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Wandering if anyone knew what to do with these. Driver 2 and MGS both require the 2nd disc to be inserted at some point in the game, not sure how this could be done. I exclusively use multiman. I have both in BIN / cue format. There was a program I used with HAN that converted everything to PKG for me, think it had an option for multi-disc games but I'd like to just mount them as they are now (BIN / cue)

2. 5,770
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Could never get it to work with multiMAN but works great with webMAN with a simple button combo. Now that being said IRISMAN also had this feature and it's by far the best way to play PSX games. The games look so much better in a real 16:9 instead of just stretching the image to fit the screen. Other then this you can make a PKG to swap disc as well.

umart666 and Algol like this.
  3. 283
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I could try out Iris for this. It won't conflict with mmcm right? Just do the button combo when it's time to switch disc?

4. 5,770
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

No conflict and it's fine

5. 283
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I got the ISO's running fine with multiman on my USB. Just not sure how to switch the discs when necessary.

6. 91
    Shrinivas

Shrinivas Member

You can change disks in the background via webman. You can do it from android device or your pc etc.

7. 283
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I don't use webman unfortunately, too many reported issues, don't want to lose control of my system's fan (I believe sony did a fair enough job..... I've had my system for nearly 10 years and it still is relatively quiet most of the time under sometimes very heavy use.)

There seems to be literally no information on how to change disc in multiman / irisman. Apparently there's a button combination for Irisman but I haven't a clue what it is.. Nor do I know how to use it.. In Driver 2, you have to start with disc one and when you load the save that requires you start using disc 2, that's when you switch out the discs. It's not one of the ones where you could just start with the 2nd disc and load your save.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  8. 3,089
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

I think it'd be the best to make a custom psxclassics pkg which easily allows multiple images.

9. 283
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Little bump but I made a PKG for Driver 2. Played all the way to the point where you go to Las Vegas and have to change the disc. Didn't work I guess. Stuck at the Insert Disc 2 screen. When I hit the "Playstation" button on my controller, there's an option to "Switch Disc" in the menu but for whatever reason it's always grey'd out? The PKG I made contained both discs and was over 1gb in size. Kinda sucks for the wasted effort but oh well.

I believe I read this can be done somehow in multiman / irisman by just doing something like "gamenamedisc1.bin / gamenamedisc1.cue / gamenamedisc2.bin etc" and unplugging / swapping the USB when it's time to change disc. I tried this and received no result lol. There's like no information about this situation anywhere on the web, and if there is I already saw it and it doesn't offer a solution lol.

10. 161
    Fedor Wearing A Fedora

Fedor Wearing A Fedora Member

are you able to boot the second disc at all? you can do this by pressing PS button and choosing the reset game option, if the multidisc conversion went okay you should be able to boot up the second disc. This doesn't fix your problem but it will verify that the second disc of the pkg is working at all.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  11. 283
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I'll try that out and see what happens. I think I did reset the game and I hit the PS button while the game was still on the playstation screen and the option to switch disc was still grey'd out.

12. 283
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Alright I did that and was able to select / boot the second disc. But yeah didn't solve the problem lol, when I tried loading my save on disc one I selected reset game on the Please insert Disc 2 screen. Disc 2 booted but then says "Please insert Disc 1 Incorrect Disc inserted"

D=

I'm guessing this game just won't work unless I used Webman to change the disc? Unless anyone out there knows how to get multiman or irisman to do the trick.

13. 161
    Fedor Wearing A Fedora

Okay that's good, it means the eboot creation process went fine...dont change that.
    Second option for you is to patch your images, here's more info from people with the same problem:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/trouble-with-multi-disk-eboot-pbp-backups.531275/#post-8512984

Yes it is for the PSP, but since that system and one of the emu's on the PS3 use the same file format (PBP) for PS1 emulation it will also apply for the PS3.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  14. 283
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Thanks for the link! That's one that didn't come up in my limited searches lol. I'll try going the eboot route and use the NTSC patch. Just one question, how would I play the eboot on my ps3? Will it show up in the retro column in mmcm? Or should I convert it to PKG again after patching?

15. 161
    Fedor Wearing A Fedora

I misread part of your earlier post...if you try to load a save and then reset the game, it won't work. You should be able to switch discs ONLY when that message (insert disc #) is prompted on screen.
    Otherwise that option will remain locked, at least in my experience.
    To verify if your pkg is able to switch discs at all, you can boot disc 2 and try free ride in one of the disc 1 cities...it should ask you to insert disc 1, see if you're able to switch discs with the switch disc option then.

For your question: It might not work for you but what i do usually:
    -create new EDAT for the new EBOOT (if i didn't make a new one i'd get a black screen when booting game up)
    -if the PKG of the ps1 game is installed there should be a folder named after the gameID in the game folder of your ps3 (the original one, not the ones made by the file managers). In that folder there's another folder called USRDIR. Replace your old EDAT with the new one in this folder. This folder also contains another folder called CONTENT. Replace old EBOOT with your new one in this folder.
    -(soft) reboot (otherwise again black screen for me)
    -Start game from xmb, just the normal way.

This way you don't need to repack your pkg and go thru transfer and installation again.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  16. 283
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Yeah it won't let me switch disc when it comes to the Insert Disc 2 screen. Option remains locked even at the screen where it prompts to change disc. There's no way to get to the main menu on Disc 2, it takes you through the loading screens and intro cutscene and then says incorrect disc inserted. It was the same way on psx / ps2 wayyy back.

I'm gonna try the eboot and build a new pkg and see how that goes. I've no experience with creating EDAT and stuff like that lol.

17. 161
    Fedor Wearing A Fedora

maybe my methods are outdated but dont you use of make_npdata and make_psone_classic_metadata for EDAT creation? I thought it was a necessary step for creating psxclassics pkg's.

And if disc 2 behaves like that then you'll need image patching if you decide to go the pkg way.

18. 283
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I use PSX2PS3 converter. It does everything for you pretty much, you just have to put the ISO / bin / PBP in the "ISO" folder and it does all the work. But dude thank you so much for helping! I was able to get my patched eboot for disc 2 and I converted it with PSX2PS3 to PKG and resigned it. Tested and entire game works now without the need to change discs! And the PKG is half the size of the original one I made!

19. 161
    Fedor Wearing A Fedora

nice, have fun dude