PS3 multiman copy game to internal hdd bug or not?

Discussion in 'PS3 Homebrew' started by PankoTantefasse, May 30, 2019.

1. 8
    PankoTantefasse

PankoTantefasse Forum Noob

hello all.
    i use multiman to backup my ps3 games collection and i've noticed something weird. almost every game copies to internal ps3 hdd using the same structure as it has on bluray (i use test option in multiman to check no of files and folders both on bluray and copied game) and by that i mean all the files and folders as the option "test" replies but there are games (i.e kz2, sly thieves in time) which have more or less files and folders as in bluray.i rechecked and copied them again, and the same result.is there a bug in multiman, like when you copy a game to internal hdd it happens to sometimes skip some files?that would be bad since skipping some files could mean we may have problems with copied games (at start or during gameplay).
    i mention i have all games like new with no scratches or dirt or something and the bd drive works perfect in my ps3 slim.
    why copied game doesn't have always the same no of files and folders (and of course overall size) as the bluray?
    i have rebug 4.84 cobra enabled and i copy forst game to internal ps3 hdd (hgst 500 gb free space around 54 gb) and then i move it to an external ntfs hdd

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. 6,439
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Multiman adds some files to the root folder of the game, i dont rmember the name of them right now but always have the same name

3. 3,085
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    MultiMAN does not skip files, if it fails to copy one file from a game it will abort the entire copying of the game automatically. Never heard of this happening with MultiMAN and this is the backup manager I have used for years, it copies the bluray file for file, folder for folder. On the copy screen if you press circle to get rid of the progress bar it displays all the files it copies as it copies them in real time.

Its never added any extra files to any of my games root folders, ManaGunsz does if you do an IRD check of the game or some other check with it.

EDIT: If you remeber what they are let me know so I can go hunting for these files to see what they are out of interest.

Algol likes this.
  4. 6,439
    sandungas

All i remember is the file names are in capitals, and if i remember right are located next to PARAM.SFO
    There are 1 or 2 posible files added

5. 3,085
    Cypher_CG89

Ok... after a quick hunt through some games I have found some possibilities.... PS3GAME.BG0, PS3GAME.BG1 < These seem to be background images for the folders.

Also in some, not all, I have found PS3GAME.CHK and an INI file for the game PS3GAME.INI. The all have the same file name just different extentions> BG0, BG1, INI, CHK.

I have noticed these before but not really paid much attention to them to be honest, only ever swapped the file with BG0 or 1 to change the folders background image to something else lol.

6. 6,439
    sandungas

Yep, are that files, lets say are "control files" used by multiman stored inside the game folder/file structure (but are not game files)
    If at some point you want to convert the game to ISO you should delete them

7. 8
    PankoTantefasse

i didn't notice new files on the root of the copied game folder (next to sfb file)maybe they are within subfolder ps3_game.
    anyway,i have noticed this just by hitting triangle and chose "test" option in multiman, i checked both the disc and copied game after the copy finished. weird is that not every game skips files,it happened to me only to kz2 , sly thieves in time and tron evolution (9793 total files copy, 9794 total files disc, disc is bigger by some kb).
    the only problem i have is to be sure i won't have problems and not be able to finish the game campaign due to some missing files. but if you say multiman never skip files and if a file couldnt be copied, it aborts, then i guess its safe and games are copied alright. should i worry?the problem is i dont know other tool for game backups except multiman. i use ManagunZ all the time,it's 2nd manager after mm, i use it to copy games to ntfs external hdd but it doesn't have the copy game to internal drive like mm has.

8. 3,085
    Cypher_CG89

Yeah multiman has aborted on me a few times. I first noticed it when copied black ops to the PlayStaion, it would get to 73% percent then abort every time, nothing wrong with the disc, it would play fine for days on end in all my PS3's.

If you want to be 100% sure about the files then I would install managunz aswell and in the game options will be an IRD check option and other checks to get peace of mind.

9. 8
    PankoTantefasse

a, cool,after i copy game you say to open game in ManagunZ and check it using IRD option or others like it.ill try it. why would ManagunZ miss such an important option- copy disc????its such a wonderful tool.

10. 6,439
    sandungas

You can use the IRD to check if your game files are identical to the original disc, this process takes some minutes and you need to get the IRD of your disc from places like: http://jonnysp.bplaced.net/

The IRD check can be made in PC (this is the most common way to do it), or in managunz (this is a rare feature, managunz is the only PS3 app that can do it)
    Is more convenient to do it in PC because is faster. In the PS3 (with managunz) is slower but handy if you dont want to move the game files to PC

----------
    Btw, another thing you can do in managunz is to open 2 windows (splitted screen) in the filemanager to compare 2 directories

11. 49
    Dyrn3006

Dyrn3006 Forum Noob

sorry guys

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  12. 3,085
    Cypher_CG89

QUOTE REMOVED BY SDW100
    "CONTAINS LINK TO PIRACY MATERIAL"

100% Piracy> You may want to re-read the forum rules........ or read them in the first place if you neglected to read them at all.

If you did you wouldn't be posting stuff like this.....:sang banghead::sang banghead:

No piracy, or related content, is alowed in this forum....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2019
    Dyrn3006 likes this.
  13. 49
    Dyrn3006

Dyrn3006 Forum Noob

sorry i will READ IT NOW

14. 2,422
    Berion

Berion Developer

If mM failed You can still copy game on PC. But... there is a catch. ODD/ODDW firmware must support fs table on L1 (in other words: not all drives will see disc fs structure) and You need drive key and disc key extracted (currently possible only on CFW 3.55) to decrypt executables which are encrypted on the disc and PS3 decrypting them on the fly (because PC drives cannot read physical area where key is stored).

BTW: @habib What do You think to create plugin which would automatically dumping such data? CFW 3.55 is beyond many devices.

Dyrn3006 likes this.
  15. 8
    PankoTantefasse

first,thank you all for the valuable input. i guess ill try ird check on ps3 on managunz since it's more convenient, i hate to copy back and forth to pc.yesterday, while copying games (i have around 120 games so it takes time) i i noticed something interesting: mm did it again,missed one file (dont remember at which game) vs disc but when i checked the directory/file structure, i i noticed all what was missing was the update file (256 mb or something), it was easy to spot it since all what was missing was 1 file vs disc and no of folders was the same. that could mean, mm sometimes skips the update file?that wont be a problem i guess, if it comes to skipping this file only.
    ps: i guess pc copy is out of the question for me since i own a laptop and i have no dvd or bluray drives within and nor external ones.

16. 3,085
    Cypher_CG89

That's an odd one, its never done that with me before with the firmware update thats stored on the disc. Wish it would skip it as I delete this off the HDD anyways as its a waste of 256MB HDD space and over the course of a good few disc backps can add up to valuable GB's of HDD space.

If its just this firmware update file that its skipping I wouldn't worry about it as you can safely delete it anyways and makes no difference to the running of the game, infact I would recomend that people do delete this to get a bit extra HDD space back for other things.

I would keep an eye on it and make sure your discs are nice and clean, with no finger prints on them or dust. But as I say MultiMAN has always aborted the copy for me if it fails to copy a file off a disc.

Theres one way to see if you can catch which file(s) it may or may not be copying, but it will be as boring a watching paint dry lol, and that is the next time you back up a disc with MultiMAN> when you see the progress bar for the copy press O to get rif of the bar and watch the list of files that is being copied in real time, then if it does skip or fail use the file manager option in MultiMAN to manully find and try to copy that one/or few files on the disc itself> This is how I found that one file that forced it to abort copying Black Ops 1, it wouldn't copy the file this way either lol.

This along with an IRD check with ManaGunZ will let you pin point the files.

17. 8
    PankoTantefasse

Maybe MM does that because I have Rebug 4.84 CEX (firmware 4.84)??? from what I've seen, MM is not compatible fully with 4.84 cfw, when I hit system information (in MM) it writes "firmware 4.75". who knows?!!?
    My discs are all like new, no dust, no grease, no scratches, no dust, no fingerprints, nothing, just like new, I pay always attention with my discs. I've bought almost all games and I love my ps3 collection (long gone is single player....even starting with ps4....so ps3 is the best sp place). I don't know, checking is time consuming from what I read and honestly , I don't have time to do it. What I find weird is that MM for me never aborts even if skips a file, but what it is very interesting is that I think it indeed aborts the process, since the file it skips is in the end (the update file) all the time. But it doesn't skip every update file for every disc copy. Again weird. So, yes, it skips file (the update file) and it aborts the copy process but I didn't notice since it skips one file in the end only (I guess, I think, because it's always in the end). Anyway, I really hope games backups will be ok, because I want to move my discs collection to the country side (I have a super slim new there aswell so no modding so thank God for my slim we have modding).
    update: i just finished copying ratchet trilogy hd and indeed, the same, the update is not copied. here are the figures: disc 10.09gb, 585 folders, 12372 files, no split files and no big files; hdd 9.84gb, 585 folders and 12371 files (folders no are the same because it copies the update folder but not the update file)
    update2: the same issue with dmc trilogy hd
    that means mm is set up somehow to abort when it reaches the update file in the end?nice

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  18. 19
    RealWelder

RealWelder Member

Having the same problem. Am trying to copy my daughter's Minecraft game to the hdd. I copied it manually with Mana's File Manager with no errors, but the game wouldn't play....just a black screen. Then I tried with MM and got this.

Edit: Turns out it was a small nic on the disc. Copied 4 others earlier with no problems. I got rid of MultiMan, but still have the path to my covers there, and am able to copy with the stripped down Mana File Manager. MultiMan used to kill my Webman folder from time to time. System seems a lot quicker and smoother. [​IMG]

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019