Multiman NTFS Folder help

Discussion in 'multiMAN' started by dcmxc, Jan 2, 2020.

1. 4
    dcmxc

dcmxc Forum Noob

Hey guys, before i buy a bunch of hard drives i just want to confirm a couple things.

Formatting a FAT32 hard drive larger then 2tb, did not work with the hard drive i bought, after hours of research so lets throw that out.

Is it possible in 2019, to get multiman to recognize PS3 games in folders, on a NTFS drive?

That's all i need to know, i ripped my entire collection awhile ago, when attempting to do RCPS3, recently jailbroke my ps3 so i can use my games on hard drives instead of the disc shuffle.

So far, def recognize the 13 games in FAT32, not NTFS

2. 3,331
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Home Page:
    For your ripped game's to be used on the PS3 on an NTFS (MBR) External HDD they must be in ISO format not JB Folder format.

Also note that MultiMAN cannot write to an NTFS HDD only read from it so using MultiMAN to make and move the ISO's is not going to happen, you can make the ISO's but not move them to the NTFS HDD using MultiMAN.

I personaly don't use the PS3 to make the ISO's. I FTP the folder's to PC and use PS3 ISO Tools to make the ISO's then just connect the NTFS HDD to PC to put them on the HDD that way.

But if you wanted to do it all on the PS3 then somethng IRISMAN will be able to make the ISO's and put them on an NTFS HDD for you.

Also for your HDD size the PS3 will only see an External HDD of upto 2TB, any larger and the PS3 will not see it..... BUT... you could use a 4TB and partition it into 2 - 2TB partitions as the PS3 will see 2 Partitions on an external HDD but no more.

Algol likes this.
  3. 5
    drewjbx

drewjbx Forum Noob

I came across this thread... I just modded a PS3 and bought a portable 5tb hard drive. So there is absolutely no CFW that will see anything larger than 2tb? I will most likely return the 5tb for a 4tb and partition it. I also had another question all my games are in folder format which I will change to ISO. But for DLC for any give iso.. you install as normal? I have been using RPCS3 emulator for awhile and understand how the folder structure works for that. Having to use .pat files for unlocking etc...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  4. 3,331
    Cypher_CG89

Home Page:
    Nope, 2TB is the limit in FAT32 and NTFS MBR (PS3 will not read GPT at all, or exFAT of any kind atm)

No such file is used on the PS3...

5. 6
    cellzoid

cellzoid Forum Noob

install file manager 1.35 this read ntfs external hard disk

6. 5
    drewjbx

drewjbx Forum Noob

I actually meant RAP files that come with PKG files... (PSN games) still trying to figure it out. Im on overflow 4.85.. PS3 phat. I keep getting error when trying to launch ninja gaiden from internal hdd install.

7. 12,568
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I think he may mean edat files. not all are used. some are dummy, which you can check by renaming the file, then booting up the game. you can get the klicense by using cfw settings (if on cfw) in the network tier. enable klicense logging, then boot the game up. play for a few moments, then check the log. it will be in the tmp folder. if nothing is logged, try renaming the edat(s) as it's probable that it's dummy.

I've also seen sprx that had a klicense. I'm not sure if there's really any difference as I've only seen it like twice.

getting the klicense is important if you want to use psn liberator, but if it's a retail game with content downloaded from psn, just do what you normally do to get dlc working.

8. 3,331
    Cypher_CG89

Home Page:
    Still will not read the HDD if it's over 2TB in size no matter what homebrew or CFW you use.

It must be partitioned into 2 x 2 TB partitions, either NTFS or FAT32 MBR. You could have both if you wanted but you would have to put up with FAT32's file size limit of 4GB per file which is ok for game's in folder format but not if you want to run them as ISO.

So using a 5TB the PS3 will ignore the last 1TB partition of the HDD. Not really a problem if you use the HDD on your PC as well as you can use this last 1TB for other things on your PC, it will just be useless on the PS3.

Most Backup Managers will read NTFS MBR> ManaGuNz, MultiMAN, IRISMAN, webMAN MOD....

STLcardsWS and Algol like this.
  9. 5
    drewjbx

drewjbx Forum Noob

Ok so I should be able to partition a 5tb drive to 2-2-1 I'm assuming....and the PS3 should see the 2 2tb partitions. I would then load ISO's onto the 2tb partitions NTFS, which MultiMAN will play.. will give it a try. Thanks!

10. 5
    drewjbx

drewjbx Forum Noob

So I partition drive to 2 2TB partitions... multimon sees them from filemanager but when trying to access the spinning icon keeps spinning and wont see the test files I have in the partitions. 2 usbdev 0 shows up but cannot view. What could I be doing wrong

11. 3,331
    Cypher_CG89

Home Page:
    There will be an option in MultiMAN to "Scan for ISO format games on NTFS", find and use this option and the games on the NTFS HDD should then appear in the games column in MultiMAN.

Also so you know MultiMAN is "Read Only" with NFS HDDs. And you also have to "Toggle PFS Drive" to view NTFS in file manager MultiMAN.

12. 9,300
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Use a FAT32 HDD and USE ISO on your games.
    (with Cobra CFW or a CFW utilizing MAMBA)

They will split if needed and you do not have to merge parts like (folder format games)
    ISO parts play just same as a whole ISO w/ cobra or mamba..

Your going to have more headaches using a NTFS drive.
    Personally i would not seek to buy an NTFS drive for the PS3.

if you have one and want to utilize it. Then yea, but if you have the choice I say Fat32 is still the best route on the PS3.

XiC likes this.