PS3 My first delid

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by kadorna2, Apr 15, 2019.

1. 534
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

Successfully delidded my slim 2001A, effectively ending the thermal problems. Used a n° 2 painter's knife to do the job. The thermal paste under the IHS was so dry and hard i had to scrape it off in order to remove it. Applied some arctic silver 5 both under and on top of the IHS and the temps dropped between 25 and 30c.

IMG_20190415_202108.jpg
    IMG_20190415_195620.jpg
    IMG_20190415_195826.jpg
    Screenshot_Chrome_20190415-204032.png

DeViL303, lmn7, sandungas and 4 others like this.
  2. 421
    umart666

umart666 Member

your first try ever?i'm thinking of doing it on my cechc that begins to have problem with cell temps,never done it myself (i had a guy locally that was good and did all my consoles and PC's but he moved) and maybe experiment with some liquid metal but not having heatgun (and not even a hairdryer) is what's keeps me from trying (and not wanting to risk my precious cechc :) ).

i've watched countless tuts,read all about it,even tried to make that damn tool myself but never had the guts to do it,so i'm wondering it's really hard to do it right on the first try?

3. 534
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

I first tried doing so on an already dead console and then moved to my main one when I saw that the tool worked fine and didn't scratch neither the pcb or the die of the cell, so first try on my first real attempt. Note that I didn't use heat to loose the adhesive (had to apply some force so the knife could penetrate the adhesive but after that it was pretty smooth) and I didn't re-seal the cpu either

I wish I had the balls (and tools) to do this on my now dead CECHA01 years ago

4. 39
    xxxmarioxxx

xxxmarioxxx Forum Noob

Good one! On my first try I succeeded in CPU but when prying off GPU IHS, the screwdriver dented the GPU substrate and resulted in instant YLOD. Therefore, NEVER use brute force to pry off GPU IHS, always heat it up and use razor blade to cut the glue on 4 corners. Successfully did CPU and GPU delid to 4 other fat consoles and everything worked.
    The tool I used to delid CPU is a fingernail file with its tip bent and sanded down. Sometimes it will scratch CPU substrate but will not do any actual damage.

kadorna2 likes this.
  5. 534
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

I've seen several people deliding RSX by prying with a screwdriver or something similar but putting something else between the screwdriver and the substrate, like a sheet of thin metal (like the painter's knife I've used to delid cpu) and it comes off instantly. If I ever have to delid rsx i'Il try to do it that way, tried today with the dead console but my knife is very wide to get too far inside so i stopped

6. 39
    xxxmarioxxx

xxxmarioxxx Forum Noob

Well, actually I did put a expired credit card on the substrate, exactly as what is shown on youtube. However, the glue might be too strong or the temperature might be too low, so when I applied force the screwdriver penetrated the credit card and dented the substrate. The IHS did pop right off though.
    Anyway, I learned to use razor blade to cut the glue on NSC mod's youtube channel, it seems to be a safer way for me.

7. 4,027
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Yep, i also think a razor blade is safer because it can be made slowlly without much force, also because the memory chips at the corners of the RSX are not going to be damaged if you scratch them a bit on top

The trick is to use several razor blades, first you insert one in a corner and keep it at that position, then you insert another razor blade in the same corner... and then a third razor blade int he same corner... and so on
    For every razor blade inserted you are "pushing" the IHS a bit. I never did it but i guess with 3 should be enought

If the IHS is to tight, additionally you can do the same in other corner

8. 534
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

I'm clearly not an expert in this field but aren't razors dangerous to both the substrate and the die?

9. 39
    xxxmarioxxx

xxxmarioxxx Forum Noob

Yes, it does, that's why you never use a razor blade to delid the CPU. For GPU, the structure is different. Glue is used on memory chips (black rectangles on 4 corners) to secure the IHS. Since memory dies are encapsulated in epoxy, it's virtually impossible to damage the chip by scratching its surface. Just be careful with other small passive components such as capacitors when you are using the razor blade, since you don't want to knock them off or cut the motherboard.
    [​IMG]

sandungas likes this.
  10. 4,027
    sandungas

Good photo :)
    Yes, i meant that black chips at the corners QIMONDA... lets say that are "scratch friendly" lol
    If you scratch them a bit on the surface are not going to be damaged because the electronics are deep inside

With the DIE (in the center) is a different story because is made of silice, is a very fragile mineral and it breaks as easyly as glass
    Think in it like a thin layer of glass, the circuits are "printed" in the glass
    If you try to scratch it of hit is going to break like a glass and is going to create a long "fracture" line all along from side to side of the DIE... this fracture "cuts" the electronic circuits

In other words... the chip that shines like a mirror is very fragile, be very careful with it because is like glass
    But with the chips in the corners is not needed to worry much, they can handle some scratches

11. 534
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

Cool, gonna take that into account if I ever need to delid RSX

12. 4,027
    sandungas

Just for curiosity sake watch this video, at minute 2:00 it can be seen how the DIE material is made, initially is a big cylinder like glass (it can be seen entirelly at minute 3:00), then they cuts it in thin slices like peperonni, and later the circuits are "printed" in it by chemical processess
    The point is... if you break the glasss you are breaking the circuits too

MixeryMaxe likes this.
  13. 534
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

I know how wafers are made, thanks for the vid though :D