My PlayStation Classic Hardmod

Discussion in 'PlayStation Classic (Mini-Console)' started by nCadeRegal, Aug 10, 2019.

1. 1,332
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

So I saw a couple of people had posted about doing the power mod to allow USB 3.0 compatibility for autobleem. Then I saw another mod where they had removed the 2nd controller USB hub from the motherboard to solder a USB hub onto the board, but then they resoldered the hub back afterwards.

I didn't like that so I took their ideas and just did what I felt was easiest and what looked best for what I wanted. I wanted to retain the ability to use the 2nd controller along with the ease of use of autobleem.

The hardest part was grounding the power control for the port itself. These boards and components just keep getting smaller and smaller....and I thought it was hard doing the linker on my Ps3 back in the day. Lol. Well here's the pics, enjoy and hit me up for any questions about what I used or throw some of your ideas in here. Thanks for looking and happy hacking.

Photo 1
    IMG_0202.JPG
    This is the power control module before I did the mod

Photo 2
    IMG_0205.JPG
    This is the module afterwards. I used a small piece of 30 gauge wire that I fluxed and tinned before I attached it to the right side points. It bypasses the modules ability to limit the power to the USB port thus allowing for any drive to be used.

Photo 3
    IMG_0206.JPG
    This is the second controller USB port before

Photo 4
    IMG_0207.JPG
    This is the port afterwards. From left to right it goes black, green, white, then red

Photo 5
    IMG_0209.JPG
    Just a pic of same but zoomed out. I used a USB extension cable. I just cut off the female end and exposed wires, fluxed, and tinned. I also balled some solder on the legs of the USB port itself before attaching wires to it.

Photo 6
    IMG_0211.JPG
    I used a Dremel to cut out the case where I wanted to mount the USB port to.

Photo 7
    IMG_0216.JPG
    All done and works exactly how I wanted it to.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Algol and sandungas like this.
  2. 1,332
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

How is this now @sandungas ? Is this more of what you were thinking? I wish I could circle some things in each photo but I'm on mobile and am not sure how to do so cleanly. Just gonna have to do I suppose. Thanks for your help buddy.

3. 2,098
    Berion

Berion Developer

Poor parallel port imitation was shredded. :D

Wouldn't be better just OTG splitter on the back?

4. 1,332
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Yea but then I'd have to use bleemsync. I like the ease of autobleem instead. Plus it's all internal which is what I like.

5. 2,098
    Berion

Berion Developer

You don't need BS to use OTG. BS is needed only for injecting payload, after that, You have OTG support in everything. ;)

And yeah, I also don't like "spiders". Would be fantastic mod, utilizing blind memory card slot in which inside be MicroSDXC reader. ^^

nCadeRegal likes this.
  6. 1,332
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

What kind of mods did you do to your Psc? @Berion

7. 2,098
    Berion

Berion Developer

First I was on BleemSync but I switched to RetroBoot. I don't use OTG because I cannot find 100% working splitter (I need more than 1 port) but I installed payload anyway for future. My hw setup is just pendrive in secondary slot and passive cheap hub in first slot (PSC joypad+DS4). Nothing special. ^^

nCadeRegal likes this.
  8. 5,373
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Looks fine :)
    What i mentioned about adding some description to each photo is because for people not used to the hardware or this kind of mods (like me) it takes some seconds to imagine what you was trying to show in every photo

You know, something like... "this is the area where im going to solder"... and the next photo... "this is the same area after soldering"
    Dunno, i was thinking for every picture could be given a name (like a title), and eventually a description with details if needed

Ok, you just did that exactly while i was writing this post :)

Louis Garry and nCadeRegal like this.
  9. 954
    TnA

TnA Member

I simply installed the BleemSync Payload + the custom Kernel and use AutoBleem via OTG and a USB-Hub...

No HW-Mods are needed, to accomplish the same thing!