PS3 My questions about the temperature of the PS3

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Furkan_TR, Jul 10, 2019.

1. 22
    Furkan_TR

Furkan_TR Member

Hello there

In short, I have 2 questions;

What is the temperature difference between RSX and Cell?
    And why is this difference important?

The result is both separate chips. They have separate usage rates. Why is this temperature difference important? What does it have to do with RLOD?

Thanks.

2. 2,535
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    CELL/BE and RSX temps are usually about the same with a slight difference between them, say 2- 4*C difference.

eg> CELL/BE: 56*C the RSX should be about 56*C - 60*C

Normally the RSX will run a bit hotter. If they are wildly different then this could indicate a temp issue> Possible heatsink not seated correctly, Thermal paste dry under the IHS and could require a de-lid, thermal paste above the IHS could need replacing, possible damage to the heatsink.

It could indicate many things but is important non the less.

sandungas likes this.
  3. 22
    Furkan_TR

Furkan_TR Member

ok i understood you.
    after i play 40 minutes
    CELL 75, RSX 60-70. But the fan does not rotate when the device is first turned on. So in "idle" mode. The PS3 reaches 65 degrees at XMB. Fan rotates at 5%.
    Cell 75, RSX 70 with 11% in the game. Is it related to thermal paste to go to idle temperature? Or should the paste under the IHS be replaced?
    I'm just a home user. I changed the paste of my laptop, but for the first time I plan to open the inside of the PS3.
    By the way, my PS3 is CECHL03, and it's not open yet. On the warranty label. I guess there is no thermal paste on it for 10 years :)

4. 2,535
    Cypher_CG89

Yeah I think its time that PS3 was opened and given some attention. First thing wiuld be to give it a good clean out as oyu can imagine all those years of dust collecting inside, plus the dust acts like an insulator making the PS3 even hotter. At the same time replace the thermal paste, I use Artic MX-4 on all my PS3's and it does the job.

After you have done this you might want to consider using webMAN MOD for its Fan Control options which start as some as you boot the PS3. You can set it to a constant manual speed or use the dynamic fan control. I use manual at 38% fan speed, but that bits upto you.

If after you have cleaned it out and replaced the thermal paste ontop of the IHS and your temps are still getting too high, eg pushing 75-80*C even using manual fan control or the dynamic then the CELL/BE and RSX may need to be de-lided and the thermal compound under the IHS would need to be changed.

Most people who own the older PHAT models tend to de-lid them if its never been done but it is not a job to do if you don't know what you are doing or are not confident in doing it as 1 small scratch on the green part of the CELL/BE under the IHS will kill the PS3 completely and is not repairable. So you you are going to consider a de-lid do alot of research into it and only use the proper tools to do it, if not them you will have to pay someone to do it.

5. 22
    Furkan_TR

Furkan_TR Member

Thanks for the information you provided :) I certainly don't intend to clean the bottom of the IHS and replace the paste there. Because dismantling this IHS, I'm 100% gonna break the device. So I don't want to do this: I just want to change thermal paste. I also brought up a few questions. Thank you very much for the information you provided. I appreciate it.

Cypher_CG89 likes this.
  6. 2,535
    Cypher_CG89

Your welcome,

7. 154
    VTSTech

VTSTech Member

I had a console briefly on OFW before HFW recently and I noticed it would happily chug along at 70-80C with 0-5% Fan. This appears to be the 'stock' settings.

I wonder how hot it must get to actually kick on?

Once WebMAN Mod is installed I usually set Dynamic/Auto at 54-56C depending on what it can maintain easily at ~30% fan Idle.